Gore Bike Wear vs heavy rucksacks

Lionel Hutz
Lionel Hutz Posts: 5
edited November 2018 in Commuting general
Hi.

I have just started commuting and am looking for a breathable waterproof. I am looking at the Gore Bike Wear C3 range but am concerned about durability because I carry a 40l rucksack with two laptops and a change of clothes.

Can anyone advise how durable these garments are? I don't want to sell out £120+ and wear it out in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Lionel Hutz

Comments

• I guess some obvious questions are:

How long is your commute?
    Could you use panniers?
    Do you have a locker/pedestal at work for these laptops and clothes?

Generally speaking, that sounds like a lot of weight on your back so I would suggest panniers and it also eliminates the worry about wear.
  • I guess some obvious questions are:

How long is your commute?
    Could you use panniers?
    Do you have a locker/pedestal at work for these laptops and clothes?

Generally speaking, that sounds like a lot of weight on your back so I would suggest panniers and it also eliminates the worry about wear.

1. About 8 miles each way. In the summer I can take advantage of off road trails which will push it up to around 10 miles each way.

2. Not on my MTB.

3. I am hotdesking at a local council provided facility so unfortunately not.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Rucksacks will kill waterproofs. It wears off the DWR coating and they will wet through in the shoulder contact area. I've had many Berghaus Goretex waterproofs go that way from years of Hillwalking. It's a fact of life.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get the weight off your back. A cycling position and weight isn't a good mix.

That should sort it. Panniers.
  • Could you use panniers? - 2. Not on my MTB.

Why not?