SRAM Etap Wifli / Dura Ace R9100

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Thinking of upgrading the best bike's gearing from DA 9100 mechanical to Red Etap Wifli as there are a few good deals about at present. Rest of bike will remain DA and just wanted to check if anyone is running etap wifli with a DA9100 52/36 crankset. A search suggests it should work fine with most 11 speed cranks but just wondered if anyone is running that specific set up. Cheers
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    you can run any crankset. it will be fine.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Your DA chainset and brakes will be fine.
  • 288GTO
    288GTO Posts: 79
    Thinking of upgrading the best bike's gearing from DA 9100 mechanical to Red Etap Wifli as there are a few good deals about at present. Rest of bike will remain DA and just wanted to check if anyone is running etap wifli with a DA9100 52/36 crankset. A search suggests it should work fine with most 11 speed cranks but just wondered if anyone is running that specific set up. Cheers

Why not upgrade to Di2? Merlin Cycles currently has the Dura Ace Di2 upgrade for $1236 (Black Friday) plus you can sell off your mechanical shifters, front and rear derailleurs. Better shifting, longer battery life, way more reliable.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    288GTO wrote:

Why not upgrade to Di2? Merlin Cycles currently has the Dura Ace Di2 upgrade for $1236 (Black Friday) plus you can sell off your mechanical shifters, front and rear derailleurs. Better shifting, longer battery life, way more reliable.

I have had no problems at all since I have been running etap , no wires and no updates , in my eyes that’s a good thing
  • Matthewfalle
    288GTO wrote:

because etap is better.

and he can still sell everything else off.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Not fussed about Di2 tbh, due to the extra faff of wires, batteries, junction boxes. A kit also works out more expensive than buying etap wifli. A couple of mates have etap and I think its a brilliant system, so simple.

I wouldn't be selling my existing DA shifters/mechs, they would migrate onto bike no. 2 and bike no. 2's current Ultegra 6800 would go on the winter bike. It's a good way of justifying purchases to the other half - one can argue that 3 bikes are being upgraded for the cost, not just one :)
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not fussed about Di2 tbh, due to the extra faff of wires, batteries, junction boxes. A kit also works out more expensive than buying etap wifli. A couple of mates have etap and I think its a brilliant system, so simple.

I wouldn't be selling my existing DA shifters/mechs, they would migrate onto bike no. 2 and bike no. 2's current Ultegra 6800 would go on the winter bike. It's a good way of justifying purchases to the other half - one can argue that 3 bikes are being upgraded for the cost, not just one :)

That's a convincing argument. Well I'm convinced anyway. Wonder if my wife would be similarly persuaded....

I do like the idea of etap I must admit
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    As a matter of interest, where have you seen the best prices for etap? I'm thinking about a Ti build with etap, Sigmaand Vanilla are about the cheapest I can see for HRD and might be a good idea to start gathering bits during Black Friday week!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • handful wrote:
    As a matter of interest, where have you seen the best prices for etap? I'm thinking about a Ti build with etap, Sigmaand Vanilla are about the cheapest I can see for HRD and might be a good idea to start gathering bits during Black Friday week!

Yes, the 2 places you've mentioned. I'm hoping the likes of Merlin may yet drop their price a bit this week plus I can take advantage of loyalty points. Vanilla look particularly good value on the non wifli model (shorter cage) which is only rated up to a 28t cassette.

I run a 30t cassette so thought it was safer to stick with wifli as it will work up to 32t. Would obviously depend on derailleur hanger length, but is anyone running standard etap with a 30t cassette?
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • keef66 wrote:
    That's a convincing argument. Well I'm convinced anyway. Wonder if my wife would be similarly persuaded....

I do like the idea of etap I must admit

Its worked many times keef :D
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    288GTO wrote:

because etap is better.

I've found eTap to be by far the most user friendly groupset. Once you get used to the front shifting that is. Only problem I have is when I go back to Shimano mechanical on my winter bike I have a habit of dropping into the little ring when I think I'm shifting down. Trimming gears on the move can be a bit tricky to do if ever you need to which is almost never. Installation is so simple too - and I managed it on a notoriously difficult bike to work on.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    288GTO wrote:

because etap is better.

Subjective opinion. They're both good group sets with advantages and disadvantages over each other. You really should change the record instead of being the resident SRAM harpie. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    why? i have used shimano and sram for years and sram is better.

why should one change one's convictions, knowledge and vast experience to appease the masses? it'll be selling your soul.

next thing i know you'll be telling me to buy a T**k because "they're like really good like"

OP - eTap is your baby.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    Trolling as usual. But to entertain you once more; SRAM eTap and Shimano Di2 are both great. Both have good points and bad points. Its subjective preference. I have SRAM mechanical on my turbo/winter trainer and prefer it to mechanical Shimano purely for the mode of shifting. Shimano mechanical is smoother though. Electronic, I, me, prefer Shimano Di2 for the extra functions it has over eTap.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    Trolling as usual. But to entertain you once more; SRAM eTap and Shimano Di2 are both great. Both have good points and bad points. Its subjective preference. I have SRAM mechanical on my turbo/winter trainer and prefer it to mechanical Shimano purely for the mode of shifting. Shimano mechanical is smoother though. Electronic, I, me, prefer Shimano Di2 for the extra functions it has over eTap.

bollox "trolling" - just because you don't like someone's opinion you say its "trolling".

get a grip.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I run etap with 29 tooth, wont work with 32 on my bike
  • FatTed wrote:

Thanks for that, if I do buy I'll get the wifli version. No point taking a risk, and gives the option of a 32 as I get older....
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    philthy3 wrote:

bollox "trolling" - just because you don't like someone's opinion you say its "trolling".

get a grip.

Both are fine. Lots of people like the switch gear setup of etape, you can configure Shimano the same way though using sync shifting. Sram front shifting isn’t as good as Shimano but other than that it’s really a wash. To say one is superior is wrong though it’s all very subjective.

Lots of deals on etap as the new version is set for a Jan launch. It’s looks nice but there will be deals on etape as long as they have the old stock to clear.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

get a grip.

Its when you come out with a subjective opinion and claim it as the definitive fact ie SRAM is best rather than YOU prefer SRAM. I don't like Campag, but others prefer it over SRAM and Shimano. All subjective opinion rather than fact.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    nice to see this has disintegrated into the usual gibberish...

Shimano's plus points is its reliability. I have DI2 on one roadbike that is into its 4th year of use. it just keeps going and offers smooth and accurate shifting. battery gets charged every 3 months... job done. it can be awkward to fit.

In terms of ETAP it looks likely the easiest to install and set up, and offers decent shifting as well. I know several people that have had rear mech issues after a while, but outside of that its only a small sample of folk that get that issue (might be to do with running too big a cassette (30 teeth on a 28)... note I've never used it and have no wish to.

Also I'm running DA9100 mechanical on my best bike and its a dream.
  • FatTed wrote:

Thanks for that, if I do buy I'll get the wifli version. No point taking a risk, and gives the option of a 32 as I get older....

I've run an 11-34 on my WiFli eTap for a year without any issues (with a 46/30 Sugino chainset).
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive setup several bikes with Di2, eTap and EPS, by far the least faff was eTap namely as your not adding a load of cables. I prefer the Campag shifting more for the position but setup and day to day use eTap wins out.

Side note if your after eTap the new version is due Q1/Q2 next year so snap it up while you can, an the WiFli its are going far quicker.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I shouldn't, but I am tempted to do this as well - go etap on my one and only 9100 bike, and move the 9100 parts onto my CR1.

It's basically 1K though, as I would want the option to run larger cassettes.

EDIT: £965 @ Vanilla using SAVE25, with potentially 3.15% back through TCB, although probably would not be honoured could take that down to circa £930.

EDIT2: Evans are £1099, BC discount is still working which takes that down to £990, and if you are fortunate to have a work scheme like mine, that knocks a further 8% off, which would make it £910.80
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Suppose the question is will the etap wifli get any cheaper, before stock runs out? I'm in no rush as the best bike is off the road for winter now. Its too easy to get carried away with the black Friday hype, but I wouldn't want to miss out due to hanging on for a cheaper deal!
    Decisions, decisions
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • daniel_b
    Suppose the question is will the etap wifli get any cheaper, before stock runs out? I'm in no rush as the best bike is off the road for winter now. Its too easy to get carried away with the black Friday hype, but I wouldn't want to miss out due to hanging on for a cheaper deal!
    Decisions, decisions

Do you mean due to the 12 spd, or is there some other update due I am not aware of?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Suppose the question is will the etap wifli get any cheaper, before stock runs out? I'm in no rush as the best bike is off the road for winter now. Its too easy to get carried away with the black Friday hype, but I wouldn't want to miss out due to hanging on for a cheaper deal!
    Decisions, decisions

Do you mean due to the 12 spd, or is there some other update due I am not aware of?

I had the impression the 12 speed was superseding the 11, but could be wrong
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Daniel B wrote:
    Decisions, decisions

So far we’ve seen 12spd, a new clutch and updated crank.
  • daniel_b
    Stueys wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Decisions, decisions

So far we’ve seen 12spd, a new clutch and updated crank.

Haven't been keeping an eye on them, so was unaware of the new clutch.
    Crank would not bother me, as would stick with 9100.
    Seems reasonable/likely that 12 will replace 11 at least in Red, but might they trickle down the 11 to the next rung down?
    But unless there is a price hike, the discount at the moment, versus what it has been available for in recent times, is not out of the ordinary.
    If it was available for circa £800 I would be seriously interested.

Anyone know the weight difference between the wi fli kit versus the mechanical dura ace 9100 equivalent install?
    *Goes off to Google
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • philbar72 wrote:
    In terms of ETAP it looks likely the easiest to install and set up, and offers decent shifting as well. I know several people that have had rear mech issues after a while, but outside of that its only a small sample of folk that get that issue (might be to do with running too big a cassette (30 teeth on a 28)... note I've never used it and have no wish to.

Rear derailleur problems are due to servo failure. Just had mine replaced under warranty...

In my experience SRAM eTAP is by far the easiest to install, although the initial setting up to shift perfectly can be quite fussy. Once it's done though it's done for good (until you rear derailleur fails, that is). I love the shift pattern, but I also love Di2, and a well set up mechanical groupset. Horses for courses. Or something like that.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Daniel B wrote:
    Decisions, decisions

From what I have seen it will be 1X12 and 2X12 possibly the closer ratios will mean they can put some larger rear cogs in, mainly for the 1X12 users.