Seat Tube

Danny1920
Danny1920 Posts: 51
edited November 2018 in MTB general
Angle...….When is it too steep.Just looking at the way things are progressing regarding LT frame Geo's &
the trend towards steeper seat tubes angles.Looking at the Pole Machine with that 79 degree ST makes
the bike look a bit silly IMHO.My current bike is 75 & I don't have any issues when climbing.Seats as far
fwd as it'll go & bike handles the short muddy punchy climbs really well to my surprise.I do adjust my
weight to help weight the front & it's all good.So I was wondering what your thoughts on the subject are
Maybe somewhere between 76 & 77 degrees would be ideal st angle for a LT frame

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The steeper the seat angle, the shorter the distance to fit your body into. If you have a long body for your height like me, then these things matter. I would not want to go above 75 deg. Yes, I can always get a longer stem, but these things have consequences.
  • The steeper the seat angle, the shorter the distance to fit your body into. If you have a long body for your height like me, then these things matter. I would not want to go above 75 deg. Yes, I can always get a longer stem, but these things have consequences.

I thought the same thing.Seems that they'll make the bike even longer to accomadate that.I mean that machine
    has gotta have one of the longest wheel base's out there.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I guess it's all a question of what works for each individual. Also, I think sometimes it's a case of what you get used to... think about every time you've ridden a new bike wth different geo or upgraded something substantially.. It feels weird to start with but after a while you've forgotten about it.

I think these have the longest wheelbase currently available: https://geometronbikes.co.uk/
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Seat tubes tend to be quite slacker than the actual seat tube angle.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Before I bought the YT Capra, an internet purchase with no chance of a test ride, I examined the geometry with a fine tooth comb and compared it to bikes I was familiar with. Reach and Stack were all fine, chain stay lengths, wheelbase. All looked good. What I failed to take into account was the seat angle which was a lot steeper than my previous bikes and had never been a factor before that I had taken any interest in. (My comb was not fine enough after all).

Overall the bike was great, and thanks to that steep seat angle it climbed far far better than it had a right to! But the bars were too close! With the saddle right back, and the bars rotated upwards a bit and the bar furniture rotated the other way, I made it more comfortable. For a while I was concerned that I'd bought a bike that would never feel comfortable!

Anyway, I've sold that Capra now, but every day is a learning day! :)