Route Planner

Shaun67
Shaun67 Posts: 219
edited November 2018 in Road general
Out of interest could anyone recommend a good route planner that they have used.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Ride with GPS. Alongside Street view in case it routes you down a 'track'.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Strava is the most user friendly and intuitive.

Some others have more bells & whistles like Komoot.

Some prefer RWGPS but it does look a bit village.

Suspect Strava will do everything you need. Turn on Heatmaps to see where other people have been.
  • I find Strava does all I need it to and on an interface I'm familiar with, but anything over 200km I find it starts getting laggy to work with.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Strava here too, sometimes with Google Maps running alongside so I can get a closer look at trails or byways via Streetview or aerial photograph.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Ride with gps. Simple to use. Set it to by car and it won't send you down tracks or bridleways. Switch between OS, satelite maps as you go to ensure you're in the right place for turns. A better estimate of elevation than Strava too, which always seems to over estimate.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    edited November 2018
    Brakeless wrote:
    Ride with GPS. Alongside Street view FOR WHEN it routes you down a 'track'.
    FTFY!
    I personally find the ridewithGPS screen really cluttered and I don't like using it, but if you want to share your route with others beforehand, and they're too tight to pay for Strava, then it has the advantage.

Strava - it has more data from actual rides to work on than any of the others and is less likely to take you down a dirt track.

Worth sometimes double checking with Google Street View too though - if the Google car has been along there, you can be pretty certain you can cycle along there.
    Elevation is well out when plotting rides in the mountains though!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    philthy3 wrote:
    Ride with gps. Simple to use. Set it to by car and it won't send you down tracks or bridleways. Switch between OS, satelite maps as you go to ensure you're in the right place for turns. A better estimate of elevation than Strava too, which always seems to over estimate.
    It'll then plonk you on dual carriageways and motorways.....
  • Komoot
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    It'll then plonk you on dual carriageways and motorways.....
    So you tick the 'Avoid Highways' box so it doesn't.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I find RWGPS the best but always pickup the Google Streetview man and drag him around the route to make sure all of the route turns blue. If it doesn't then change the bit that needs changing.

Plotaroute is also quite good, has a good feature where you put in the length of route you are looking for and it comes up with suggestions.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Komoot
    +1
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Komoot is definitely the best if you need to plot/change a route on the go as the mobile app is brilliant. Can reroute on there and it appears straight away on the Wahoo.

Strava app doesn’t do route planning, and the mobile experience on the site is terrible. Not tried RWGPS on mobile, but don’t like the desktop site.
  • Bikehike works for me.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I use OSMAND with BROUTER as the navigation app . It is free, or a fiver for the better version. You do not need brouter but I am finding it is a better route finder than anything else I have tried. If you are off Wifi or signal remember to set offline vector maps which has the whole country down to street names and contours in your phone.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • It depends on what you want the route for but for touring trips (mostly in the UK) we use www.cycle.travel .

Works by stitching together cycle lanes, NCN routes, quiet roads etc. There's usually a fair bit of off-road and bike lanes that require some stop-starting but if speed isn't an issue it can be a great way of finding some quieter, lesser-used lanes.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    FTFY!
    I personally find the ridewithGPS screen really cluttered and I don't like using it, but if you want to share your route with others beforehand, and they're too tight to pay for Strava, then it has the advantage.

Pay for Strava? You don't have to pay anything to create/share/download others routes. It's RWGPS that seems to be forever trying to get you to pay the incredibly expensive subscription.

BRouter looks interesting, just had a quick play with it, thanks for mentioning it Priory.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    TimothyW wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    FTFY!

Pay for Strava? You don't have to pay anything to create/share/download others routes. It's RWGPS that seems to be forever trying to get you to pay the incredibly expensive subscription.

BRouter looks interesting, just had a quick play with it, thanks for mentioning it Priory.

Never had that with Ride with gps? I've even created routes for charity rides to be shared with entrants that have not incurred a charge and that included route lists for turns and elevation profile.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.