Windproof baselayer?

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Does anyone here use a windproof base layer? Any thoughts on how warm / effective they are?

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    I have, can't remember the make offhand but essentially it's windproof over the front only. Paired with other layers and if you're working hard they are very toasty indeed, sometimes too much.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Keep the windproof as an outer layer that you can unzip when you're working hard.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I have a DHB one. Only the front panel is windproof.

It's a brilliant piece of kit for me. I feel the cold quite a lot and instead of wearing a full windproof jacket it lets me wear a normal LS jersey on the warmer winter days.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    I have one of the Craft ones. It is short sleeved with a windproof panel over the front.

It is excellent for extending the temperature range of a normal jersey along with arm warmers. I use it for those days when it's going to start chilly and then warm up.

Can also be worn in colder conditions under a winter weight jersey rather than wearing a jacket or gilet.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    +1 for the Craft, though mine is a long sleeved. Also got a sleeveless Ground Effect from back in the day when they were sensibly priced.
  • vegas76
    Thanks for the tips folks, I was looking at the gore long-sleeved one for £65 but the craft one for £25 looks pretty good, so does the dhb one off Wiggle for £30
  • Vegas76 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips folks, I was looking at the gore long-sleeved one for £65 but the craft one for £25 looks pretty good, so does the dhb one off Wiggle for £30

Do Wiggle still have the Rapha pro team base layer still for £51? Sign up for a new account and they knock another £10 off with code NCVUK.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I have one of these:

https://galibier.cc/product/its-all-abo ... ble-layer/

Highly recommended.
  • vegas76
    Vegas76 wrote:

Do Wiggle still have the Rapha pro team base layer still for £51? Sign up for a new account and they knock another £10 off with code NCVUK.

They do but it doesn't say its windproof?
  • vegas76
    I have one of these:

https://galibier.cc/product/its-all-abo ... ble-layer/

Highly recommended.

I think we've found a winner! Looks great!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The gore ones work well for me when it gets colder in winter. Once the weather warms up a bit they roast me alive and I use their standard base layers.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I took a punt on an Aldi windoproof base layer from one of their cycle events. Cost me £7 and a it's great piece of kit
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I have one of these ones and it kept me very warm yesterday in the stiff, cold breeze:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/-id_8501842.html
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Another vote for the Craft windstopper baselayer. I get a lot of use from mine. Only issue is it has a high neck, great for warmth but as I could only get a white one in the sale I can look like a member of the clergy if I wear it with a dark coloured race jersey!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Another one for the Craft. Currently still using the short sleeve version down to about 3 Deg with a medium weight long sleeve jacket. Might look into the long sleeve version.

I'll use the Helly Hansen Merino freeze for any colder
  • I also have the windproof s/s one. It's great.

Craft l/s freeze baselayer is also amazing. Feels really thin yet remarkably toastly. They are also a good fit if your lanky. Even a small has good torso and sleeve length on me (6ft, 36 chest, 32 waist).

It's not for all conditions and a Gilet may be more suitable if it's gonna warm up in the day but the back is not windproofed so can breathe.