Bianchi Oltre XR4 / Super Record / Record EPS

timdanaher
timdanaher Posts: 120
edited November 2018 in Your road bikes
45182655844_74354ce1ad_k.jpg

Frame: Bianchi Oltre XR4
Forks: " "
Bars: AliExpresss carbon integrated compact 420mm (£40)
Stem: " "
Headset: Oltre XR4
Bar Tape: Dunno

Brake Levers: Super Record EPS
Calipers: Record direct-mount

Front Mech: Super Record EPS
Rear Mech: Record EPS (with 2x ceramic-bearing jockey wheels)

Saddle: AliExpress all-carbon with padding (£23)
Seat Post: Oltre XR4
Seat Post Clamp: integrated

Cranks: Super Record compact 34 / 50 x 175mm
Chain: Record 11s
Cassette: Super Record 12-27 (to be replaced by Dura-Ace so I can afford to replace it regularly.)
Pedals: Record Pro-Fit Titanium
Bottom Bracket: Super Record Titanium / BB 360 EVO cups

Wheels: AliExpress 50mm carbon Clinchers with basalt brake track (~£250)
Spokes: bladed
Hubs: PowerWay R36 straight-pull ceramic bearings
Tyres: TUFO 25mm tubular clinchers C Hi-Composite

(PM me if you want links to the AliExpress stuff)

Other: Campagnolo EPS V. 3 battery and DTi interface

Accessories: 2 x Super Record bottle cages

Weight: 7 kg

EPS has completely transformed my riding: since I lost my right arm in a cycling accident, shifting has always been a bit of a kludge for me: with EPS, I can control both front and rear derailleur with the left Ergopower. First time I've been able to shift properly in 38 years. Buying AliExpress stuff allowed me to have enough money to afford the EPS. Didn't go for a Super Record rear mech, since not enough difference for the extra money (with the ceramic jockeys installed, I think the only difference is the hole in the SR body). Now just need to sort out the braking: I think 3D printing might offer some opportunities here.

I'm now waiting for the eagle-eyed amongst you to point out the one detail that I've left out... ;0)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Congrats Tim - looks awesome.

Can I be the first to guess - you say you lost an arm - but both brake levers still in place?
  • I would have said that one-handed braking would be an argument for discs.

Does look bloody super though!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Chain on the big ring?

That looks superb!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pukka lush - top effort.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks, all... no, I actually ride with a false arm, so can use the RH hoods to get out of the saddle. Have been thinking of discs, but would require a new frame / hubs set-up. Need to do a bit more research on that. Whatever I do, I think it'll have to be mechanical rather than hydraulic.

So, no-one's spotted it yet?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It'll probably be obvious when pointed out, but I can't see anything amiss...
  • Shimano pedals?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    How did you mod the lever to do both brakes?
  • I actually use a cable splitter: one cable in, two cables out. Not an ideal solution though... if single cable goes, I lose both brakes.
  • Shimano pedals?

Nope. Campagnolo Record Titanium ProFits...
  • Bottle holder upside down?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What an absolute weapon! I commented to a mate the other day that if I returned to carbon, it'd be an XR4 (not a souped up Ford Sierra) and this cements that opinion.

Good work.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Gorgeous bike. The colour and groupset that God intended. I hope you're happy with the pedal system as that's one thing I wouldn't compromise on just to keep it 100% Italian. I swear by Look Keo Blades. Nice work

But lose the dust caps. Argh. Can't stand them
    They do nothing on presta valves. Nothing. Just adding extra weight :wink:
  • Yeah, I love ProFits... I've stockpiled several pairs of them now that Campag have stopped making them.

Now, it's confession time: that's not a Bianchi Oltre XR4. It's a Chinese copy (a Chianchi, if you will). Slightly heavier overall than a real Bianchi, with all of the extra weight being in the forks, due to it having a 1-1/2" crown race and beefier blades rather that the Oltre's 1-1/4" crown race with noticeably slenderer fork blades. Seatpost is 200g, Frame 1050g (57cm). Forks 420g. I can't imagine how good a real Bianchi must be, because this is the best frame I've ever ridden: light, stiff, yet supremely comfortable. The frame cost £420 delivered. Didn't even have to pay import duty.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    TimDanaher wrote:
    Yeah, I love ProFits... I've stockpiled several pairs of them now that Campag have stopped making them.

Now, it's confession time: that's not a Bianchi Oltre XR4. It's a Chinese copy (a Chianchi, if you will). Slightly heavier overall than a real Bianchi, with all of the extra weight being in the forks, due to it having a 1-1/2" crown race and beefier blades rather that the Oltre's 1-1/4" crown race with noticeably slenderer fork blades. Seatpost is 200g, Frame 1050g (57cm). Forks 420g. I can't imagine how good a real Bianchi must be, because this is the best frame I've ever ridden: light, stiff, yet supremely comfortable. The frame cost £420 delivered. Didn't even have to pay import duty.

Holy gobsmack time!!

Obviously had many fooled with your Chianci import. I'm guessing a genuine Oltr XR4 with Super Record would probably set you back north of £7000 ( the Chorus version on Epic Cycles is £5400). Any rough idea of your total build cost?
  • About £2500 off the top of my head... frameset and wheelset were £770 combined (wheels were £350, not £250 as I stated above). I really scoured the web to get the best prices on the EPS.. rear mech £199, front £299, Ergopwers £225, brakes £300 (ouch!), chainset I already had, but paid about £350 for it.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Nice, I bet that thing fly's

7KG... I reckon you're being a bit generous there
  • I did wonder why you’d be putting Ali express stuff on that frame. Still, it looks mega and it’s great to know it rides well. I quite fancy buying a Chinese Cipollini and building it up!
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    If it's not a real Bianchi it's just a green chunk of plastic. :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    TimDanaher wrote:
    Yeah, I love ProFits... I've stockpiled several pairs of them now that Campag have stopped making them.

link please! the MFs all need one and at that price it would be rude not to.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Great bike of course!!! But the major problem for most Europeans is that the biggest size in Chinese frames is only 57. I think it is even Italian size (c-c measured). I don't get it. Why don't they offer a size bigger as well?!

Do the Chinese maybe offer an Aria in 59??