First race tomorrow - tips?

sgt.pepper
sgt.pepper Posts: 300
edited November 2018 in Amateur race
Entering my first race tomorrow - https://www.kapiticyclingclub.co.nz/ind ... er_reset=1

Are there any tips or tricks I should be aware of, or any classic first-timer faux-pas to avoid? The only other event I've entered was a joke Onzo (like a Boris bike) hill climb. Will be using the Raleigh Competition with 105.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just turn up with a smile, have a laugh, chill and enjoy. its a learning curve from week 1 day 1 so see how it all works.

just make sure your bike and kit are cool, you've eaten and drank and thats it.

ignore the clubbie cliques and the warriors and ride safe - all will be good.

keep us all updated and bon chance.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532
    Warm up well, stay near the front if you can and observe what's going on around you for as long as possible. Remember that a bunch is constantly shifting so you might have started near the front and be following a wheel but can soon find that you have drifted back. The further back you are, the harder you work out of every corner and it takes its toll. It looks like a straight course with 180 degree turns at either end so try to be near the front just before each of those. The problem is, most others will be aiming to do the same! Other than that, ride smoothly - don't brake hard or make sudden sideways movements. If you need to move one way or the other to go forwards make sure you really check your shoulder first - when everyone is going wide to get a line for a corner don't use it as an opportunity to dive down the inside of them!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My mate Lance said drugs help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Update - had far more fun than I expected despite it all being a bit of a disaster - definitely joining the club and going again next week. They put me in the slow group (standard procedure for newbies which is fair enough), which I was horribly mismatched for. Quick release failed at the start so they got about a minute's head start - was really fun giving chase and sweeping past after a lap or so. About lap 4 I zoned out thinking about pacing and trying to catch the slower guys in group 1 who'd had about a 2 minute head start, and got a puncture after going a massive pothole I forgot about. Ended up plum last/DNF :lol:

Got a few funny looks turning up on a 70s Raleigh , but think I somewhat redeemed myself during the event. Really brilliant atmosphere and brilliant location (potholes notwithstanding).
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Update - had far more fun than I expected despite it all being a bit of a disaster - definitely joining the club and going again next week. They put me in the slow group (standard procedure for newbies which is fair enough), which I was horribly mismatched for. Quick release failed at the start so they got about a minute's head start - was really fun giving chase and sweeping past after a lap or so. About lap 4 I zoned out thinking about pacing and trying to catch the slower guys in group 1 who'd had about a 2 minute head start, and got a puncture after going a massive pothole I forgot about. Ended up plum last/DNF :lol:

Got a few funny looks turning up on a 70s Raleigh , but think I somewhat redeemed myself during the event. Really brilliant atmosphere and brilliant location (potholes notwithstanding).

Sounds mint - especially as you've learnt the first rules of racing. Look after your bike and look where you're going
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I thought we had the world supply of potholes?
    I hope they had the appropriate import licence.