Ventoux in April

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited January 2019 in Tour & expedition
Is Ventoux doable in earl April? I'll be on the way back from Spain about 2nd week in April, was hoping to fit in a ride up from Bedoin, I will have some cold weather clothes with me.

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Almost certainly as far as Chalet Reynard yes, but the snow gate a mile or so further on might be shut. If the weather’s been mild it might be ok to ride on past that, but there will certainly be snow at the top in early April. It’s the time of year when it could be ok one day and then 15cm of snow falls overnight.
  • Thanks, I think I'll probably give it a miss this time due to the element of doubt. It would be slightly off our planned route and we don't have that much spare time this trip. We'll do some wine tasting instead and I'll find some smaller hills to tackle :)
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Going as far as Chalet Reynard is still a formidable climb, granted you miss the iconic moonscape bit but it’s not to be underestimated.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    +1 for Chalet Reynard, a very tough climb in its own right. Gorge de les Nesques is worth a visit if you’re in the vicinity and looking for a nice route. You can carry on to Sault and go up to Chalet Reynard that way perhaps.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    Thanks, I think I'll probably give it a miss this time due to the element of doubt. It would be slightly off our planned route and we don't have that much spare time this trip. We'll do some wine tasting instead and I'll find some smaller hills to tackle :)
    That sounds like a sensible plan, as you'll be heading up the Côtes du Rhône, if going in that direction. I'd certainly not set my heart on Ventoux in April: much more satisfying to do an interesting lower loop somewhere (Ardêche?) that you know will be OK: Ventoux actually isn't a terribly interesting climb anyway, and kinda loses its point if you're not getting the view from the top, and sense of achievement from getting there.
  • Thanks, I think I'll probably give it a miss this time due to the element of doubt. It would be slightly off our planned route and we don't have that much spare time this trip. We'll do some wine tasting instead and I'll find some smaller hills to tackle :)
    That sounds like a sensible plan, as you'll be heading up the Côtes du Rhône, if going in that direction. I'd certainly not set my heart on Ventoux in April: much more satisfying to do an interesting lower loop somewhere (Ardêche?) that you know will be OK: Ventoux actually isn't a terribly interesting climb anyway, and kinda loses its point if you're not getting the view from the top, and sense of achievement from getting there.

Yes Brian, will be stocking up on the Cotes du Rhone and then heading for Sancerre to sort out the whites :D . Will find some nice hills in Spain and some lower French ones as you say.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Will you be in your motor home? If so, I can recommend a really nice vineyard aire called Domaine des Lauribert run by three generations of the same family. Grandfather (really welcoming) hosts wine tasting each evening with very generous measures. I got pretty drunk the first time I visited. On offer are white, rose and red from Cotes du Rhône to fancier “villages” wines - all grown and made on the farm. My favourite is Carelette at 50 euros for six bottles - I bought 12 on my last visit in September. It’s lovely stuff if you like the Rhône style of red. Decent rides in the area, as well - rolling terrain rather than hills. It’s one of the nicest aires I’ve stayed at - near the small town of Visan, in the Rhône Valley north of Ventoux.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/france ... -lauribert
  • briantrumpet
    Thanks, I think I'll probably give it a miss this time due to the element of doubt. It would be slightly off our planned route and we don't have that much spare time this trip. We'll do some wine tasting instead and I'll find some smaller hills to tackle :)

Yes Brian, will be stocking up on the Cotes du Rhone and then heading for Sancerre to sort out the whites :D . Will find some nice hills in Spain and some lower French ones as you say.
    There's some cracking riding north of Ventoux too, all the way up to Vercors (sublime, if the weather is good). You could do a loop including the entirely bonkers Combe Laval, and be just 45 minutes drive away from Tain l'Hermitage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmfGvN ... e=youtu.be
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    Will you be in your motor home? If so, I can recommend a really nice vineyard aire called Domaine des Lauribert run by three generations of the same family. Grandfather (really welcoming) hosts wine tasting each evening with very generous measures. I got pretty drunk the first time I visited. On offer are white, rose and red from Cotes du Rhône to fancier “villages” wines - all grown and made on the farm. My favourite is Carelette at 50 euros for six bottles - I bought 12 on my last visit in September. It’s lovely stuff if you like the Rhône style of red. Decent rides in the area, as well - rolling terrain rather than hills. It’s one of the nicest aires I’ve stayed at - near the small town of Visan, in the Rhône Valley north of Ventoux.

Brilliant Brian, yes we'll be in motorhome. I've bookmarked that contact, looks perfect for us, also if there happens to be freak warm weather I could always wander over to Ventoux!
  • mercia_man
    Mercia Man wrote:

Brilliant Brian, yes we'll be in motorhome. I've bookmarked that contact, looks perfect for us, also if there happens to be freak warm weather I could always wander over to Ventoux!

Actually, this recommendation is from me, Mercia Man, rather than Brian. He and I are both fans of the Drome region of France. This aire is on the southern edge of Drome Provençale and is a relatively short drive to Ventoux. Glad you like the look of it.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

Actually, this recommendation is from me, Mercia Man, rather than Brian. He and I are both fans of the Drome region of France. This aire is on the southern edge of Drome Provençale and is a relatively short drive to Ventoux. Glad you like the look of it.
    Oops! Sorry Mercia man, not paying attention there. We have definitely got that one marked - thanks.
  • briantrumpet
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

Indeed. If I'm going to suggest wine, it'd be Clairette de Die. Tootle up from the Ventoux area through some stunning scenery, and there are several vineyards that do tastings/visits, as well as the big co-operative producer Jaillance. Then you could drive up the col de Rousset to get to Combe Laval...

img_20170218_122812931_hdrblog.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    Still not sure if you want to visit Combe Laval? ;)

wp-1472025721257.jpg
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Well, Combe Laval looks amazing; I must add it to my 'to do' list.

Some of the comments up there are perhaps a bit harsh. I rode the cingles du ventoux in June and it was probably my best day in over 20 years of cycling but each to their own I suppose.

As a warm-down/leg loosener the day after the cingles I also rode the Gorges de la Nesque and that is beautiful (if you can call climbing to 1,000 metres altitude a "warm-down").

I am happy to share Strava routes, videos, travel arrangements or restaurant recommendations in Nesque if anyone is interested.
    FCN = 4
  • My trip is not going to happen now. Our Motorhome was stolen last week. Totally depressed doesn't cover it. Retired this year and a big part of our lives revolved around 'the van'. We may get another in the future, but certainly not for a good while.
  • mercia_man
    Terrible news. I’m so sorry for you.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    sorry to hear that
    FCN = 4
  • briantrumpet
    Oh, that's awful... so sorry!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    What a downer, motorhome and caravan theft seems to be quite a thing now if my facebook feed is at all an accurate reflection.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Thanks guys. Yes, it seems 2 - 3 a day are being stolen Nationwide. We need to see how insurance pans out and then consider what security measures we can take if / when we get another. Needless to say it impacts a bit on my cycling too, as the MH means we can travel to some great cycling areas with bikes at home or abroad. We'll get there.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    So sorry to hear that, We have a motorhome and are on various motorhome facebook pages, seems they are the main target for theft in the last 4 months, so annoying, frustrating and upsetting. What cab/engine was it?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    So sorry to hear that, We have a motorhome and are on various motorhome facebook pages, seems they are the main target for theft in the last 4 months, so annoying, frustrating and upsetting. What cab/engine was it?
    It's a Vantage Neo. Panel van conversion on a Fiat ducato 2.3 turbo deisel 14 plate.
  • Some good news. Insurance have settled. New van on the cards some time next year. We've had the van 4 years and they've settled on the figure we paid for it!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Some good news. Insurance have settled. New van on the cards some time next year. We've had the van 4 years and they've settled on the figure we paid for it!

Excellent news. Get yourself another and enjoy it. Don't let the thieving fxxxkers get in the way of your plans!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Some good news. Insurance have settled. New van on the cards some time next year. We've had the van 4 years and they've settled on the figure we paid for it!

Excellent news. Get yourself another and enjoy it. Don't let the thieving fxxxkers get in the way of your plans!
    Cheers, that's the plan, will start looking next week or 2. Europe trip probably delayed till Autumn now. Will get there though.