Frame Protector Tape?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,416
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
Hi Can anyone recommend me a decent tape for protecting the frame from rubs and scrapes please?

I bought some stuff off eVay that was OK'ish except where the seat stay profile changed towards the dropout area and it wasn't very malleable and the edges are peeling away already despite cleaning the frame with meths and drying thoroughly.

It's mainly the seat stays that rub on the bike park upturned "U"s where I lock my bike and others move or shunt my bike in the process of locking theirs up etc.

Any buying links of stuff that actually works most appreciated

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Heli tape from Bike Tart, not the cheapest but it does the job and doesn't fade or discolour. If cut to shape it can be applied to strange shapes with the help of an hair dryer warming it up once you've got it on the bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I've seen a number of recommendations for the Copter tape from JRA - it's genuine 3M stuff, as good anything.
    http://www.justridingalong.com/copter-tape.html
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I was hoping to find something that wasn't 'bike specific' from a bike shop i.e. a tape that has been increased by 65% in price because it is 'designed for bike protection'

Basically it's tape that protects and I want a long roll that will protect 5 bikes. Buying bike specific tape works out very expensive when I'm sure I can get a long roll somewhere of exactly the same stuff.

Any ideas?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Search for helicopter tape.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,143
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I was hoping to find something that wasn't 'bike specific' from a bike shop i.e. a tape that has been increased by 65% in price because it is 'designed for bike protection'
    You used to be able to buy similar tape in Halfords for cars but I don't know how good it would be on a bike, or whether it works out any cheaper.

Proper helitape (the 3M stuff) is the really good - it's tough and easy to apply, but it's expensive.
    The last lot I bought was cheaper and advertised as "bike protection tape". It was thicker (harder to apply) and if you missed and peeled it off it left a mark on the tape which the 3M tape didn't. I wouldn't buy that particular tape again, but it does the job.

This the 3M tape, not sold as bike specific to give you a starting price for comparison https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-8671- ... -1mtr.html
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I'm also looking for diy frame protection for the new bike.
    Are the pre cut packages that you can get worth it? Or just get the 3m roll and cut yourself?
    Thanks Andy