break bike and sell parts or sell complete as going concern?

moonshine
moonshine Posts: 1,021
edited November 2018 in MTB general
I've a complete 2010 aluminium Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (26") that is now surplus to requirements that i need to get rid of.
it in pretty good condition tbh... Fox float Talas 32 forks had a seal and oil service at TF tuned in August. New fox performance rear shock in Jan '18, new frame bearings in Jan '18., seatpost, saddle, bars, XT brakes and a 3x9 SLX groupset... wheels and tyres.... what do you reckon is a fair price for the complete bike?

i've also got a XT 1x11 8000 drivetrain groupset (chainset, rear mech, 11sp cassette and shifter)

whats the opinion on maximising revenue from selling the the bike and parts? sell bike as going concern or break for parts?

Thanks

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Always get more selling all the parts separately if you can be bothered with the hassle and multiple trips to the post office. I've done it a few time where I've bought complete bikes at bargain prices where I only wanted the frame and maybe a few odd bits and made a big chunk of money back.
  • As someone who has a 26" HT and FS bike, the market for complete 26" FS bikes is minimal.

You have some good components that may get you more money sold separately.

I have the same forks on my 2013 Norco and was looking at them on eBay last week - anything 26" is from £150 to £300. It is very much a buyers market though.

The XT 1x11 will be worth something and forks, shocks and XT brakes will appeal.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Expect 30% depreciation for every year that passes! It is horrendously cruel that this has happened to your pride and joy. But even if you have lavished care and attention on the bike, all that will get you is one that sells quickly. It is unlikely to sell for more. The calculation goes like this:
    Brand new bike in 2010 is worth 70% of its value in 2011.
    By 2012, it will have declined by another 30%, ie it will be 70% of the previous year's value. ie 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49. Therefore after two years your bike is worth less than half the new price!
    And so on

An 8 year old bike will have had 70% applied to it seven times, so it will be worth 8.2% of its new value!

If you are astonished at 30% use 25% depreciation instead if it makes you feel better, but after 8 years it will be worth 13.3% of its new value.

You have to be able to do better than that by selling off the components; some of them will be newer than 8 years old of course. But as trek_dan said its a hassle to do.
  • moonshine
    Expect 30% depreciation for every year that passes! It is horrendously cruel that this has happened to your pride and joy. But even if you have lavished care and attention on the bike, all that will get you is one that sells quickly. It is unlikely to sell for more. The calculation goes like this:
    Brand new bike in 2010 is worth 70% of its value in 2011.
    By 2012, it will have declined by another 30%, ie it will be 70% of the previous year's value. ie 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49. Therefore after two years your bike is worth less than half the new price!
    And so on

An 8 year old bike will have had 70% applied to it seven times, so it will be worth 8.2% of its new value!

If you are astonished at 30% use 25% depreciation instead if it makes you feel better, but after 8 years it will be worth 13.3% of its new value.

You have to be able to do better than that by selling off the components; some of them will be newer than 8 years old of course. But as trek_dan said its a hassle to do.

Your maths assume a linear depreciation model which I think is probably is unrealistic, there is usually a taper after a few years, so I would contest the end point calculation somewhat as there is a Base inherent value ... But I don't take issue with the assumption the residual value might not be a great deal... I guess it offers reasonable value as an we entry level bike with above average parts... I thought something like £400 as a complete bike would work, but guess if broken for bits would possibly return more... But for more hassle

Am I a million miles out?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    moonshine wrote:
    I thought something like £400 as a complete bike would work, but guess if broken for bits would possibly return more... But for more hassle
    Am I a million miles out?
    Technically asking "how much"? is against Forum rules but personally I wouldn't pay £400 for an 8 year old Stumpy unless it was absolutely pristine.(but that's just me).
    I've sold three MTBs since 2012.A 2008 Enduro SL(sold in 2012),A 2010 Ragley(rebuilt in 2015,sold in 2016) and a 2013 NP Mega(sold in 2016).I broke all three as the value complete was low.I tried to sell the NP Mega as a complete bike two or three times and despite the reserve being 1/3 of the price new it got nowhere near on Ebay.I broke it up and recouped just over half what it cost me to build.
  • moonshine
    thanks... reasonable comments... it looks like breaking is the way to go then.
    I'll possibly see if it goes on local sites / ebay as a going concern and if no joy break it or gift it to local bike co-op...
  • steve_sordy
    Is there no young relative that you could take under your wing?
    Size (in this case) is important.
  • moonshine
    Is there no young relative that you could take under your wing?
    Size (in this case) is important.
    not sure but i'll have a think -maybe a cousin or a pal. but gifting it to someone might be the best use of it - the reason it is surplus is i decided it was getting to the point where it is becoming technically obsolete due to standards changing - as getting parts for 26" wheeled straighr 1 1/8" steerer frames are getting thin on the ground- so i went to a new FS 29er...

there is nothing wrong with it per say - just time for a change on my side... and is a cheap entry to MTB...

its a Medium... - i'm 5'7"
  • steve_sordy
    Then keep it as a spare. For when your main bike is at the menders or out of action awaiting parts.
  • moonshine
    Then keep it as a spare. For when your main bike is at the menders or out of action awaiting parts.
    i'd love too... but i need the space.... it is my #6 bike :oops:
    after new MTB, Track, road, fixed and TT... it is n+3 :lol:
  • steve_sordy
    I never thought I would advise that the time has come for n-1 :shock:
  • moonshine
    I never thought I would advise that the time has come for n-1 :shock:
    :lol: you get my "problem!" :oops: :)
  • steve_sordy
    I recently went from 2 bikes to 1, as part of my plan to get an eBike. N-1
    Then I got an eBike. N+1
    Then I sent it back (not as described) N-1
    So now I'm back to 1 bike.
    Have to wait until early next year to get the eBike I want. N+1

Once I'm back to that safe zone of 2 bikes, THEN I'll have a dilemma! :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The problem with breaking the bike is the key parts are still 26” (fork, wheels and frame) so are still worth significantly less than a 27.5/29.

Moonshine doesn’t seem to understand that what has been described isn’t linear depreciation.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • moonshine
    The Rookie wrote:
    Moonshine doesn’t seem to understand that what has been described isn’t linear depreciation.
    I do understand - but i conceede i guess i maybe incorrectly expressed it as the depreciation model assumed the item has no inherent value and eventually depreciates to zero - when in fact most items have an inherent value (albeit small) , and don't depreciate below a certain level
    e.g a £2000 item. depreciating at 30% year on year is worth £480 (24%) after 4 years, £235 (12%) after 6 years and £80 (4%) after 9 years. in truth, i suspect it would taper more a in later years and reach a floor of a £200-£400, below which it won't really fall much - because the item has a basic inherent value.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fair enough, I would agree most items will reach a floor (as long as they are still in a useable condition) although other factors (such as 26” dying off) will then drop that floor. However I think that model works fine to about 5-7 years old.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.