Keyless padlocks

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited December 2018 in Commuting general
Anyone using a keyless padlock - biometric/fingerprint type of thing?
I think the drawbacks might outweigh the pros? How does it fare in bad weather...
No stopping someone defacing the fingerprint area making it unreadable?
Using a combination lock ( 20 minute max safe time rating) at the moment.. it managed to reset itself to another set of numbers once.. luckily when not attached to the bike.

Its like a bike tax, having to carry around Kgs of a lock and mess around with keys.. just because society is riddled with scrotes.
If I used a biometric padlock, I could squeeze another 15 minutes of safe time perhaps... dont know.

I would never leave anything in a public area for a day.

Comments

• JGSI wrote:
    Anyone using a keyless padlock - biometric/fingerprint type of thing?
    I think the drawbacks might outweigh the pros? How does it fare in bad weather...
    No stopping someone defacing the fingerprint area making it unreadable?
    Using a combination lock ( 20 minute max safe time rating) at the moment.. it managed to reset itself to another set of numbers once.. luckily when not attached to the bike.

Its like a bike tax, having to carry around Kgs of a lock and mess around with keys.. just because society is riddled with scrotes.
    If I used a biometric padlock, I could squeeze another 15 minutes of safe time perhaps... dont know.

I would never leave anything in a public area for a day.

Most padlocks are easily defeated by a couple of strategically placed spanner’s and a bit of brute force. There are a couple of neat designs that are more difficult to defeat, but whether it requires a key or not, matters little.
  • jgsi
    and?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Nah. I've just got used to the fact that i need to carry 2 dlocks around with me at all times. Bit of an arse, but me'h... it's just resistance training, right?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Is the lock the real weakness though? I think brute force attacks (cutting/levering etc) are more likely, making the lock type itself not as relevant... so you'd save maybe a couple of seconds using biometrics instead of keys - with the probably increased risk of "technical faults", offsetting those gains, and no real difference in actual security.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/2268/loc ... ing-stolen
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More important is a padlock that will resist a 2 spanner attack, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P5TRN6/ ... th=1&psc=1
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jgsi
    The Rookie wrote:
    More important is a padlock that will resist a 2 spanner attack, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P5TRN6/ ... th=1&psc=1

So that makes something else the weak point?
    Worst case scenario for me is leaving the bike outside Asda ( they dont do bike racks) for 20 minutes, hoping it is still there after a shop. When I get the trailer after Xmas , carrying the apparently required 10 kg of security will be slightly less of an issue.