Turbo trainer

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited November 2018 in Road general
Hi, I’ve never had a turbo but in a few weeks time I will be having a full knee replacement.
Apparently getting back in the saddle is highly recommended. Therefore can anyone recommend a turbo that does the basics and have one of the resistance attachments?
Will look for a second hand one if possible,
Cheers

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    The best reviews out there are on DC Rainmakers site, although he mainly focuses on "smart" trainers (that is ones that transmit data and play nice with Zwift, etc). Each year he publishes a guide on the best trainers, this year's should be out soon.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/tra ... guide.html

I have a Tacx Satori Smart which does the job. It's not silent by any means, but the noise is far less irritating than the Elite model I had previously. It doesn't really feel that much like riding a real bike though, not sure any budget trainer does.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    If you've already got a power meter you can get almost as much out of a £100 trainer as a £1000 one.

If you don't, a smart trainer (£200ish upwards is ideally what you need).

They all perform the same basic function, allowing you to pedal indoors and pair up with software like Zwift/Sufferfest.

You pay more for quietness, accuracy of power data & aesthetics.

I've had an Elite Fluid one which I got for £100 6 years ago and with a Quarq PM it does everything I need it to. But I've also used Kickrs a fair bit and they are both more enjoyable and quieter to ride on. All depends on your budget. But they are basically all the same thing at heart.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    cgfw201 wrote:
    If you've already got a power meter you can get almost as much out of a £100 trainer as a £1000 one.

If you don't, a smart trainer (£200ish upwards is ideally what you need).

They all perform the same basic function, allowing you to pedal indoors and pair up with software like Zwift/Sufferfest.

You pay more for quietness, accuracy of power data & aesthetics.

I've had an Elite Fluid one which I got for £100 6 years ago and with a Quarq PM it does everything I need it to. But I've also used Kickrs a fair bit and they are both more enjoyable and quieter to ride on. All depends on your budget. But they are basically all the same thing at heart.

Agreed but not £200ish and upwards, probably nearer £300.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    cgfw201 wrote:
    If you've already got a power meter you can get almost as much out of a £100 trainer as a £1000 one

not sure i agree with this, once you get around the £3-400 area and above they can control resistance and this can make indoor trainer much less boring.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/flow-smart- ... 45488.html

This one for £189 controls resistance. Nothing to compare it to but much better than my old dumb trainer. Can also ride workouts and courses off the Garmin without the need for Zwift etc (albeit less immersive).
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    cld531c wrote:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/flow-smart-t2240-turbo-trainer-800-watts-id_8345488.html

This one for £189 controls resistance. Nothing to compare it to but much better than my old dumb trainer. Can also ride workouts and courses off the Garmin without the need for Zwift etc (albeit less immersive).

I stand corrected. Thanks.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-u ... t-Trainers
  • Thanks to all for their comments.
    Extremely GRATEFUL.
    MICK
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Just to add my experiences, I used a dumb trainer (Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro) for a few years to good effect on Trainerroad using their "virtual power" readings but not without a good deal of concentration and numerous gear changes. I recently swapped with someone on here who had a Tacx Flow Smart trainer and was looking to move away from a smart trainer and make use of his power meter on a good quality "dumb" trainer.

It was a bit of a gamble but one that I feel paid off for both of us. I find Erg Mode works pretty well when doing Trainerroad workouts and means only occasional gear changes, much less concentration and much more accurate sessions completed. I guess what I'm saying is even the lower end of the smart turbo range can be really useful.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    good luck and speedy recovery with the knee op.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go second hand. A LOT of turbos get very little use. W
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    I've had a Kinetic Road machine a few years back and liked it a lot. Is very silent and sturdy. Good power measurement and the Kinetic App is also very good.

I think a trainer like this will fit your bill for cheap if you can source a used one.

Bear in mind what is the use you are going to give it, since buying cheap means buying twice a lot of times. Just for reference, I've sold my Kinetic to buy a smart Kickr Snap from Wahoo, and sold it 6 months after to buy a Kickr.

If you plan to give it some intense use, I really advise you to go the extra mile and buy a direct trainer, even if it's the cheapest one. It will make a big difference!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    cld531c wrote:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/flow-smart-t2240-turbo-trainer-800-watts-id_8345488.html

I have this TT but from Halfords.It’s OK but I’m on my third one.The cover on the Magnet works loose or is easily dislodged.First one snapped clean off,second developed an annoying rattle but the latest is OK.I did put a strip of Duck tape on it from new though to hold it in place.
    Worth the money but if expecting heavy/long term use I’d go for a Direct Drive.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Sniper68 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

I have this TT but from Halfords.It’s OK but I’m on my third one.The cover on the Magnet works loose or is easily dislodged.First one snapped clean off,second developed an annoying rattle but the latest is OK.I did put a strip of Duck tape on it from new though to hold it in place.
    Worth the money but if expecting heavy/long term use I’d go for a Direct Drive.

Mine's been fine. Cant say it has been overused though unfortunately!