Good deal of not? Fuji Cross 2.1

Jeztheshed
Jeztheshed Posts: 17
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
Hi I've been looking at this bike. 50 percent off 600 quid reduced from 1.2k (allegedly) on chain reaction/wiggle. Seems decent only thing is it's a bit heavy at 10.5kg but I'm looking to lose weight anyway.

I'm wanting something fun to ride that can go pretty fast but is also durable. Any thoughts as to how good value this bike is and will it be decent? Thanks in advance

The specs are
Features:
Frame: A6-SL super-butted 6066 aluminium with shaped top tube & integrated tapered head tube with 1 1/2" lower, oversized 34.9mm round seat tube, BB86 shell, double water bottle mounts
Fork: Alloy blade cross fork, alloy crown with tapered alloy steerer & alloy dropouts
Number Of Gears: 20
Bottle Cage Mounts: Single
Wheelset: Vera Corsa DPD22, 24/28h Formula disc hubs
Crankset: Oval Concepts 300, forged 6066 arms, Praxis rings, 46/36T
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra, braze-on mount
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed
Brake Type: Cable Disc Brake
Brakes: Tektro Mira, 160mm rotors
Chain: KMC X10, 10-speed with MissingLink
Cassette: Shimano Tiagra, 11-32T, 10-speed
Cassette Range: 11-32 Tooth
Handlebars: Oval Concepts 310 Ergo, 6061 Alloy, 31.8mm clamp, 133mm drop, 4 degrees sweep
Seat Post: Oval Concepts 300, 6061 Alloy, 27.2mm diameter
Saddle: Oval Concepts 238, steel rail
Tyres: Challenge Chicane 700 x 33c, 30tpi
Stem: Oval Concepts 313, 3D-forged 6061 stem body, +/-7 degrees
Weight: 10.57kg

Comments

• It is a good deal if this is the type of bike you want - ie one that is for off-road as much as it is for on-road. Looks to be very versatile in this respect, plenty of tyre clearance and if my eyesight doesn't deceive me the ability ot fit full mudguards.

At this price you won't get hydraulic disc brakes, so cable discs are the best you are going to get.

If your budget can stretch a bit, check out this from Decathlon - the groupset is 11 speed Shimano 105, and the disc brakes, although not full hydro, are cable/hydro hybrids, meaning the calipers are hydraulic which gives a more even wear and means less maintenance

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html
  • Thanks for the reply. The bike from decathalon does seem like really great value taking into account the 105 components TS, carbon fork and semi hydraulic brakes. There's a decathalon. Shop in Edinburgh that I might pop into to see the bike in the flesh. Thanks alot for the advice
  • For anyone whose interested I decided to go for the Fuji cross 2.1 for £600 and was pretty pleased to find it was equipped with the Shimano 105 disc groupset rather than the Sora which was stated on the website. All in all pretty good value but gonna upgrade to a carbon fork and cut it to just the right height for my ideal riding stance.
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    I've got a Fuji sportif 1.1. Absolutely love her four years on. Had very few issues
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • Having had the bike for a few months now I have to say it's been excellent. I was delighted that it came with 105 as opposed to sora groupset (immaculate advertisement from chainreaxtioncyles that I'm not complaining about!) And I've taken it from (Scotland) from dundee to Aberdeen and also on another ride from Dundee to Perth, then through very hilly terrain to Falkland and then back to Dundee via the Tay road bridge. Only thing about is that the wheels it came with were extremely poor - they buckled after just a few shortish rides (no off road or bumping up on kerbs) and I have replaced them with a durable wheelset made by hope which cost.450 including fitting by local bike shop. I'm waiting on money back from the failed wheelset from chainreaxtioncyles. Overall I think I snagged a great deal for a winter/commuter/decentish disc road/gravel bike although for a.total outlay of £1050 perhaps I could have managed to get a CX bike with a carbon fork and decent wheels.