Beginning custom paint jobs

Giles-Clark
Giles-Clark Posts: 4
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,

I'm looking to start custom paint jobs for frames and components ect, does anyone have any experience or knowledge around this or have any recommendations regarding what equipment or paints to use?

Many thanks,

Giles

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Take it to a professional.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For yourself or for other people?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Initially for myself as I have some frames to practise on, but I already do custom work but wish to branch out into larger scale projects. If all went well then yes potentially for others too
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    have you looked on you tube? normally there are lots of helpful things on there for people starting to learn new hobbies/skills.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • What about looking at what's done on custom motorbikes, I assume the techniques, materials and tools would be pretty similar and it's a complete industry in itself that already exists. I have 2 friends that customise Harley Davidson, one a high end painter and one that does both technical and paint jobs, wonderful work and very impressive even if they are still tractors.....
  • Initially for myself as I have some frames to practise on, but I already do custom work but wish to branch out into larger scale projects. If all went well then yes potentially for others too

I'd presume you'll need to start looking into beefier spray guns, compressors, stencil cutters (or decal cutters if you want that route) air circulation/extraction systems, personal protection/masks, paint types, paint effects, varnish types, sanders, fillers...the list goes on!

What kind of custom stuff are you doing at the moment?
  • You could always drop a line to folk like Kustomflow or Fatcreations (although Ali from Fat isn't too well at the moment). Not sure how they'd feel giving tips to potential competition though ;-)
  • Thanks all for your responses.

Atm I've been spraying custom oakleys and shoes for the likes of Harry Tanfield, I'm looking into converting my garage but was interested in what kit people used or knew to use. I already have a stencil/decal machine, airbrush setup but ideally need to set up a booth with larger compressors and spray guns with of course air ventilation systems.
  • I have been using one of these for the last 3yrs:

https://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/pr ... g-system-1

Bought it for a particular project but used it on loads of things DIY. It fantastic if the item can take the heat process and is small enough to fit in an oven, the finish is amazing !

Bought it for a particular project but used it on loads of things DIY. It fantastic if the item can take the heat process and is small enough to fit in an oven, the finish is amazing !

Just the job. The OP wants to paint carbon bike frames (among other things) and you suggest he sprays them and hangs them in an oven at 180c. Well done.

Just the job. The OP wants to paint carbon bike frames (among other things) and you suggest he sprays them and hangs them in an oven at 180c. Well done.

Not really. I suggested a potential solution for powder coating items that can fit in an oven and can handle the heat, where is it written that he needs to put carbon frames in 180º oven ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I have been using one of these for the last 3yrs:

in all seriousness, that looks cool - perfect for small bicycle and motorbike parts.

whats it like to use? whats the finish like? what prep do you need (media blasting, wire drill attachment, etc?)

dependant on your answer this could go on the Chrimbles list.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

in all seriousness, that looks cool - perfect for small bicycle and motorbike parts.

whats it like to use? whats the finish like? what prep do you need (media blasting, wire drill attachment, etc?)

dependant on your answer this could go on the Chrimbles list.

Very little prep at all, just make sure the surface if clean. As the coating is quite thick then it does tend to smooth out some lumps and bumps on the original parts however the smother they are to start with the better so it really depends on what you need. For larger parts (that don't fit in an oven) you can use an external heat source like an electric space heater (bar heater) not as good but it can work, i did some MDF panels like this. For small mechanical parts on bikes it would be excellent and the colour range is really good. You just need a small compressor and clip on the earthing strap to the item and off you go !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512

The OP hadn't mentioned carbon frames at all.
  • cougie wrote:

The OP hadn't mentioned carbon frames at all.

You're correct. I was making an assumption based on the fact that most frames are carbon these days.

Thank you for keeping me right. Or maybe the OP will tell you I''M right?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure the OP is smart enough to know not to melt frames.
  • On instagram check out other people such as

ooey custom
    colourburn studio - both do frames

artfulkicks - started doing shoes but also does glasses and helmets now too
  • cougie wrote:
    I'm sure the OP is smart enough to know not to melt frames.

I'd hope he is. But does he have an oven big enough?

Doesn't alter the fact that the spray system recommended earlier is a dumb idea for what he wants to do.