£5m 'Gift' for Departing Premier Lge Boss Scudamore

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
Is it me or is the world of high paid executives completely f***ing bonkers.
Richard Scudamore is leaving his post as boss of the English Premier League. A job for for he is amply well paid for at '£2.5m per season' (Per annum in normal speak). His mate Bruce Buck chairman of Chelsea FC has asked all Premier League clubs to contribute £250k each towards a leaving gift. Which will equate to £5m!!!
Whatever happened to giving a carriage clock as a leaving present?

I fully understand that he's contributed to the leagues high profile throughout the world and the huge amounts of income ftom TV rights and other deals. But surely that is what his pay is for and no doubt a huge pension to boot.

This £5m is just taking the proverbial. And before you all shout back and accuse me of being envious. It's nothing to do with that. Fine let all the clubs gift money for a £5m pot. But if he had any humility and altruism about him, he'd donate to good causes. He doesn't need the money.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Will be part of the contract he signs, or bad reporting on various LTIPs he has, or both.

Edit: on reading the story, sounds like he knows some things the clubs would like to keep quiet...
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    It's football ergo it's fvcking mental and anything goes, along with stratospheric wages, endemic cheating and sacking the manger 3 times a season. The fans will keep paying for their season tickets, club strips and Sky subscriptions and the gravy train will keep on rolling along.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Richard Scudamore is leaving his post as boss of the English Premier League. A job for for he is amply well paid for at '£2.5m per season' (Per annum in normal speak). His mate Bruce Buck chairman of Chelsea FC has asked all Premier League clubs to contribute £250k each towards a leaving gift. Which will equate to £5m!!!

I fully understand that he's contributed to the leagues high profile throughout the world and the huge amounts of income ftom TV rights and other deals. But surely that is what his pay is for and no doubt a huge pension to boot.

This £5m is just taking the proverbial. And before you all shout back and accuse me of being envious. It's nothing to do with that. Fine let all the clubs gift money for a £5m pot. But if he had any humility and altruism about him, he'd donate to good causes. He doesn't need the money.
    Small beer Goo. Don't look at this if you value your blood pressure: :)
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/23/persimmon-slashes-bosss-bonus-to-just-75m
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/23/persimmon-slashes-bosss-bonus-to-just-75m
    Was going to mention him. What an amateur, only asking for £5M.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

persimmon dude stripped out al the stuff that wasn't worth keeping due to liquidation fees - lowered the final amount, kept everyone happy, saved himself a lot of bother.

its what maggie would have wanted, obvs.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Doesn't seem much for the world of football.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    It serves as a reminder that these people are not in it for the love of football. I honestly think that if I earned £2.5m a year I'd donate the £5m to good causes around the game or just tell the clubs to give it to their lower paid staff as a Christmas bonus - but I suppose years of earning these kind of sums creates a sense of entitlement.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_goo
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I know all about that one. What makes me laugh is that his successor who's a fellow director got a piffling £40m bonus.

As my father in law says. Nobody should earn more than the PM.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The PM is an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    cooldad wrote:
    The PM is an idiot.

And his father in law is deluded. Bet he voted Leave.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mr_goo
    cooldad wrote:
    The PM is an idiot.

FU!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Mr Goo wrote:
    That would need mean a very big pay rise for TM. I didn't think you would approve of that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    The PM is an idiot.

FU!

That is a bit strong.

All we know about the chap is that he believes nobody should earn more that the PM. That tell us that he is a deluded idiot who does not understand the jobs market. It is a fair assumption that he voted Leave
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mr Goo wrote:

but how do you define what the PM "earns" ? look their annual salary is constrained by that of a public sector contract and its ridiculous to look at just that number as a wage they earn, because most of the earning potential benefit of being PM is whilst your in the job nearly everything you ever need is provided to you free of charge, they dont pay to go on holiday, they dont pay to travel anywhere, they dont pay to buy food, they arent paying council tax on No 10, have no household bills, and thats when they are in the job...and then when they inevitably get moved on the conveyor belt along, first theres the book deal, Camerons was £800k its reported, then theres the directorships and non exec positions you get offered and paid a royal ransom for 2.5 days of work a year, then there are the speaking engagements. Gordon Brown earned 75k for one speech. Blair is reckoned to earn 12million a year just giving speeches.

and then when you are bored of doing all that, and appearing on the media to give you tuppence, they can promote you into the Lords, and you get £400 per day just for turning up and can spend all day eating in the subsidised restaurants and bars.

your earning potential for being PM is way more than just the salary.

as for a 5m leaving bonus, its nothing the city businesses dont do so :roll: its tone deaf but then its premiership football who long seemed to have forgotten why they are in the sport anyway
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    It serves as a reminder that these people are not in it for the love of football. I honestly think that if I earned £2.5m a year I'd donate the £5m to good causes around the game or just tell the clubs to give it to their lower paid staff as a Christmas bonus - but I suppose years of earning these kind of sums creates a sense of entitlement.

a. I really do doubt you donating £5m to charity.
    b. Him donating £5m is not excluded.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • DeVlaeminck
    FishFish wrote:

a. I really do doubt you donating £5m to charity.
    b. Him donating £5m is not excluded.

Why do you doubt I'd give it away - I'd be ashamed to accept it that's for sure - if I was already rich it'd make little positive difference to my life but the guilt would certainly have a negative impact.
  • Matthewfalle
    Mr Goo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    The PM is an idiot.

FU!

why? loads of people on here earn more than the PM does. why is the PM so special? He/she should be doing the role out of public service not for the money.

or is he bemoaning people who have worked hard for years for their careers and the benefits that work entitles?

Delusion and cuss words. Oh dear.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Amateur right enough. Check out the results this guy has achieved since getting this contract.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/10/1685 ... 00-million
    "I feel Mark's pain," said Raiders coach Jon Gruden, whose team is 1-8 in his first season back with the franchise. "It's tough, man, we want to win."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • He's made that league untold millions, presiding over a massive rise in income. You can argue the numbers all you like, but if I'd done nothing but make my business money over 20 years I'd feel perfectly justified in taking a 2x salary bonus as thanks.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Poptart242 wrote:
    He's made that league untold millions, presiding over a massive rise in income. You can argue the numbers all you like, but if I'd done nothing but make my business money over 20 years I'd feel perfectly justified in taking a 2x salary bonus as thanks.

How many people get a leaving gift of 2 years salary ffs. It's snouts in the trough, do you think Chelsea gift the equivalent to their cleaners, ticket office staff etc?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Poptart242 wrote:
    He's made that league untold millions, presiding over a massive rise in income. You can argue the numbers all you like, but if I'd done nothing but make my business money over 20 years I'd feel perfectly justified in taking a 2x salary bonus as thanks.

How many people get a leaving gift of 2 years salary ffs. It's snouts in the trough, do you think Chelsea gift the equivalent to their cleaners, ticket office staff etc?

Well no which is why there is probably more to it than is being reported...
  • Poptart242 wrote:

Well no which is why there is probably more to it than is being reported...

for example it could be a new contract to not work for any broadcaster in any capacity until after the next bidding round has closed
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Poptart242 wrote:

The league could of had a board of directors and brought in a management consultancy firm for 1M every contract negotiation and go the same result. The increase in revenue is very little if anything to do with him it is simply a function of the leagues offering to the media being valued higher and higher each year. What is his brilliance as I can't see it to be honest.
  • pblakeney
    john80 wrote:
    What is his brilliance as I can't see it to be honest.
    Negotiating A £2-1/2 million salary and being popular enough that people want to give a £5 million pay off.
    Genius if you ask me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    What is his brilliance as I can't see it to be honest.
    Negotiating A £2-1/2 million salary and being popular enough that people want to give a £5 million pay off.
    Genius if you ask me.

or he could be brilliantly lucky at being in the right place at the right time. Exhibit 1 is that he was lucky enough to be in charge when revenues went up 20 fold. He was also lucky enough to get paid £2.5 million a year and then lucky enough to be in a position where his employer wanted to buy his future goodwill.

May I be the first to say that if I got an unexpected bonus equal to double my annual salary it would never cross my mind to give it (or any of it) to charity. I would be more likely to whine that the Govt had nicked half of it leaving me enough to top up the pension, max out the ISAs and pay off a bit of mortgage. There is a chance that our hero will have borrowings that make his plans equally mundane
  • pblakeney
    The harder I work, the luckier I get. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Poptart242 wrote:

At the expense of the progression/development of domestic football?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Poptart242 wrote:

do you not think his large salary, annual million pound bonus, plus million pound bonuses for the tv deals havent already covered that in some way ?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    PBlakeney wrote:

Much rather work smarter than harder. But nevermind.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pblakeney
    Jez mon wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Much rather work smarter than harder. But nevermind.
    But luck trumps smart. See Trump.
    Good album by the way.
    Veronese68 wrote: