Working around shoddy Ride with GPS data...?

WheelMeals
WheelMeals Posts: 86
edited November 2018 in Road general
I have a Wahoo Element Bolt, so I have to use Ride with GPS data to plan routes (to include Turn by Turn nav).
Only problem is the data usually tries to take me off road once or twice a ride as think is set up more for all biking inc mountain biking. (I know Strava has better data but Wahoo can get the TBT notifications from that).

Are there any hacks, or other settings on RWGPS I don't know to keep it to just Roads, not trails?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    In the Ride with GPS settings you need to set it to stick to roads.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks for the reply, just seen where I was going wrong (I've got small monitor) so didn't see there was a set for Cycling below (as had it on walking).....doh...I'll get my coat etc.....
  • Nope, just tried again, still take me through parks and all sorts of things wouldn't couldn't consider riding on.
    Hope Strava sort out Turn by turn with Wahoo soon..
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You could try komoot which will also do turn by turn as I understand it.

Ride with GPS needs a lot of tweaking for decent routes in my experience, I tend to end up using Strava and just following the line
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Set it to driving instead of cycling and tick the box that says 'avoid highways'. You'll avoid the off-road parts, but check the route before setting off - it will often try to take busy A-roads in preference to a quiet B-road running alongside.
  • Thanks for the driving route tip.

Yep Strava has best data, but doesn't work with Wahoo (or at least doesn't give you Turn by turn instructions) they mention they're going to fix, but haven't done so far....
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    WheelMeals wrote:
    Nope, just tried again, still take me through parks and all sorts of things wouldn't couldn't consider riding on.

I assumed you were using the driving route map otherwise cycling/walking will take you through parks and along bridleways.

Ride with GPS is perfectly fine. I've never had a problem with it, even with turn by turn doing century routes going through a couple of counties.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    philthy3 wrote:
    WheelMeals wrote:
    Nope, just tried again, still take me through parks and all sorts of things wouldn't couldn't consider riding on.

I assumed you were using the driving route map otherwise cycling/walking will take you through parks and along bridleways.

Ride with GPS is perfectly fine. I've never had a problem with it, even with turn by turn doing century routes going through a couple of counties.
    I sometimes have to change from 'Cycling' to 'Driving' while I plot the route to make sure it's the one that I want, and of course always check the route once plotted. Occasionally I might have to drag a bit of the route to where I want it, but that takes seconds. Even on routes of 100 miles or so, it still only takes minutes to plot the entire route satisfactorily.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Even set to driving RWGPS will route you along gravel paths. You have to go over the route with extreme care in order to snap the route away from them.
    Although Komoot can be set for road riding it will still include gravel paths trails and even footbridges as I recently discovered.
    It seems that neither RWGPS or Komoot are aware (or care) about riders who just want to stick to the blacktop. That is why I have resisted the temptation to invest in the subscription option on either one.