Castelli bib-shorts repairs

ch86
ch86 Posts: 4
edited November 2018 in Road general
Hi all

I'm new to the forum so this is my first post. Hopefully I can provide some useful contributions moving forward.

For the moment I'm hoping you guys can help me out with something though. I recently bought some new Castelli bib-shorts (they weren't cheap) and somehow they've got caught on something, perhaps in the wash or whilst riding, which has left me with a pull and a small hole.

I feel as though I have 3 options here;
1) Get them professionally repaired by someone who knows how to repair this type of garment
2) Repair using iron-on patches (not convinced this is a long-term fix)
3) Throw them in the bin (clearly my least preferred option)

My question is - does anyone know of a place where I can get them professionally repaired? I'm based in Cheshire but I'm also interested in hearing about suggestions anywhere in the country.

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Contact the distributors - Saddleback? and see what they say. Unlike Assos or Rapha Castelli may not repair.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I've had the same issue - Castelli don't do repairs. I repaired them myself (and a couple of other pieces of kit since) using a product called Iron Mend. All of my repaired kit has stood up to many, many uses & washes since. Hope that helps!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    iron-on wetsuit repair patch material is an option, i used this to fix holes in a pair of castelli bodypaint shorts and retired them to commute in, when the bibs wore out the patch was still fine (2-3 years)

key thing is to get the heat/pressure right for a good bond, if the edges lift it's no good
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    I ripped a set of expensive shorts which I got a shop to repair with a patch of similar material. In this case an old black under armour shirt.

If you can't repair them, keep them for the turbo/ indoor trainer if you have one.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    bridalwear shops and dry-cleaners do a lot of mending and adjusting . Take it in and ask the machinist what she can do and how much. In Derbyshire area they don't charge much. If you are in posh London it could be worth posting it to somewhere more reasonable. I have done this many times. A little tear sewed up should be only a couple of quid. They might do it while you wait.

https://tailor-maid.co.uk/ I have been going here for years. you could send a photo after phoning them.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Check on Facebook. We have several people locally who do garment repairs and they use FB as their advertising medium. It's easy to use and free for them to do so.
  • ch86
    ch86 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions all!
  • One more for the wetsuit repair patch. Came off my bike on 2nd ride in a new pair of Castelli shorts. Used a repair patch and the shorts are still going strong a few years later.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    If a just a pull and small hole, how about sewing it up yourself?

I've done that on a pair of Castelli tights after a crash and it's not that hard to do. Like bike maintenance, loads of videos on YouTube to guide you through. Depends on size of hole but Lycra is of course stretchy, so you can patch up a much bigger hole than you'd be able to on a shirt, for example.

I know a dry cleaner or seamstresses would do the same repair for a fiver or so, but satisfying doing it yourself.