New pads for Shimano M355 Hydraulic Disc Brakes

vulva65
vulva65 Posts: 118
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I'm sure it's a simple question but my rear bike has started screeching when i brake, it's got very little stopping power and when i get to a low speed thats when the screeching begins. I have cleaned the bike, careful to not contaminate the pads or rotor, and then took the wheel off and gave it a quick rub over with some fine sandpaper but the screech is still there. Was just going to buy some new sintered pads but cannot for the love of me find ones that will be compatible with these brakes, they're the standard brakes on my 2015 Giant Trance 4, the Shimano M355, but i can't find anything that matches the M355 code, can anyone help pretty please?

If there's another pad that will fit and work just fine then please also let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    Just match the shape, they're pretty easy to identify.
    https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0#Shimano
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You want Shimano B01S pads or the equivalent from Uber, Superstar, etc.

Did you check the pads for wear before taking sandpaper to the disc?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Perfect, thanks guys, have bought some sintered B01S which should hopefully do the job.

Yeah i checked and didnt seem to be any significant wear, and they were changed a couple of months ago at a service, and shouldn't be playing up already as I've not ridden a ridiculous amount. Hopefully new pads should solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Make sure you bed the new pads in properly.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    Vulva65 wrote:
    Perfect, thanks guys, have bought some sintered B01S which should hopefully do the job.

Yeah i checked and didnt seem to be any significant wear, and they were changed a couple of months ago at a service, and shouldn't be playing up already as I've not ridden a ridiculous amount. Hopefully new pads should solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.

I have the M355 and they work well for such a budget set, I reckon they work just as good as my guide R on the Specialized. Have you checked the spec of the discs? Not all the "lower" end discs can handle sintered (my original discs stated organic only) and I have a sneaky suspicion that I read the M355 calipers dont have a suitably heat proof seal for sintered.

I fitted Gorilla Pads mixed compound and they are fine.

Have you tried just taking the "glaze" off your old pads? Get some 80 or 120 grit emery cloth, flat surface and rub off the glaze. It works on car brake pads too as long as they have material left on them!
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Yes good point there your discs may only be resin pad compatible. This means how they have been made in the factory, resin only discs aren’t hardened enough to be used with metal pads.

What I think has happened is the pads haven’t bedded in properly on first use and have glazed, this when the pads have got hot and the resin has hardened, you’ll see a shine on the pads.

You might be able to reuse if you run the pads over a piece of course sandpaper etc depends on how bad the glazing is on them.

Personally I’ve had nothing but hassle with shimano resin pads and have had the noise you described. I had the same thing with Kevlar compound pads just wouldn’t bed in and glazed resulting with the noise.

I now use either semi metallic or race matrix compound brake pads from uberbike.

Anyone used ebc organic pads or are these the same as the rest?