Stealth or Bling??

Danny1920
Danny1920 Posts: 51
edited November 2018 in MTB general
Was just thinking that compared to a lot of bikes out there
mine would more be on the stealthy side as opposed to blinging.
IMG_0523_zpsdhodmgva.jpg
This got me thinking maybe my bike needed a little bit of colour
coding applied...you know,orange decals for the wheels/fork,maybe
some orange grips/chainring etc etc.I know you can go over board
& b4 you know the bike looks like a fcuking xmas tree :)Gonna try
some orange fork decals first & see how that looks
So what do you prefer.....more colour the better or keep
it stealthy??

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    In the middle. Not stealth but not too much colour.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Stealth is the way to go. When I had a satin black Norco Sight, the Fox decals on the shock and fork disturbed me, so when they went in for serving I had the decals replaced with the black option. The decals were matt black with the Fox logo in satin black. You had to catch the light just so in order to read them. Apart from the odd silver flash on a few components, the only colour on the bike was the blue pins on the black DMR Vaults and the alloy blue valve covers. My all black clothing style can best be described as stealth (well, more grunge to be honest).

I just hoped that I never fell of the bike at night; I would never be found until morning! :lol:

I used to get lots of favourable remarks when I was out. You could see people looking at the bike trying the usual methods of gauging a bike, but it was all black and gave few clues. So they had to give it an extra hard look before deciding they liked it. :D
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I prefer the stealth approach... although I think it does depend on the bike.

IMG_9197.jpg
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    I do love a bit of colour coding, but only if the bits I like and know work are available in the right colour.

40967136064_010e981158_k.jpg

28043640378_3ee0d76f2a_k.jpg

Sometimes, it's just about being a bit of a tart though...

30616385957_c6e5666ce9_k.jpg
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Keep it subtle and less chance of being nicked too? I wonder.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 134
    EUQCP8b.jpg

FbThJdL.jpg

I feel as though I am in a good position to answer this, I have gone from a stealth 2015 Enduro, pure black with the only colour on it the rebound knob on the forks, to a 2018 Enduro in neon pink.

My answer to this question? Who cares! As long as your bike makes you want to ride faster and harder than before, there is no right or wrong answer.

I love both those bikes.
  • marcarm wrote:
    My answer to this question? Who cares! As long as your bike makes you want to ride faster and harder than before, there is no right or wrong answer.

I love both those bikes.
    Not really a question of whats right or wrong but what you prefer.I'm sure like the majority we want our bikes to be aesthetically pleasing as well as reliable 8)

I must admit I do prefer the look of bikes that have a solid "loud" frame colour with all the bits mainly in black
  • IMO it doesn't matter whether you go stealth or not, what matters is the colour(s) you do pick all match. There is nothing worse than seeing a (for example) a black bike with red accents but every 'red' is a different shade of red, be that as some bits are painted, some anodised, some faded, some less so etc.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Would agree with Tom, noting worse than a ‘colour’ matched bikes with lots of different shades.

Mine is stealth ish, grey frame with original subtle aqua decals (it’s a Whyte), nearly all black except for the red brakes (formula).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Reality is that they end up pretty dirty (well mine does anyway) so colour doesn't matter that much. I've never been a fan of matching colours on the bike. I think a few accents here and there are OK, but for example if you have a bright orange frame I don't see the need to match everything with it like grips and pedals etc... but whatever keeps you happy!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)