10spd campag cassette with wahoo smart trainers

joelharrop
joelharrop Posts: 6
After some fairly extensive research and a bit of back and forth with wahoo over trying to fit my 10 spd campag bike to a wahoo kickr core, I seem to have got nowhere. Although I haven't bought it yet, I intend to buy the kickr core and believe an Ambrosio conversion cassette is the way forward for this. It appears that these cassettes don't actually exist anymore and I am therefore open to any suggestions that people might have that will allow me to connect my bike (aka a 10 spd campag groupset to a Shimano freehub)? Before people ask I do know that tacx offer a fairly pricey solution in that you can buy a campag freehub as well as the Shimano cassette however I do want to see if I can find a solution to this first as the tacx neo would work out a few hundred quid more and push beyond my budget.

Apologies for the waffle above, but I appreciate any help in advance.

Comments

• Why not a Tacx Flux?
  • Just because I believe the Core is better value for money and I am a little bit reluctant to buy the flux due to its previous reliability issues.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've heard it said that you can use 10 speed Shimano cassette with campag at a push - the indexing isn't good, but it might be enough for turbo use.

I'd imagine you could make a better approximation by rebuilding a Shimano cassette with the spacers from a campag one if the shifting is unusably bad.

It's also worth considering how you intend to use the turbo - if you use erg mode then you don't really need to change gear anyway.

Are you dedicating this bike to turbo use? You could just us a friction shifter, that would mean indexing doesn't matter anyway.
  • joelharrop wrote:
    Just because I believe the Core is better value for money and I am a little bit reluctant to buy the flux due to its previous reliability issues.
    New models released. Good deals on them. Loads cheaper than Wahoo. Excellent after sales. But you want the Wahoo I guess no matter what.

Oh, and you can get a Campag freehub for the Tacx for about £30 to make things simple. But you'll still go for the Kickr.

Marketing eh?
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    joelharrop wrote:
    Just because I believe the Core is better value for money and I am a little bit reluctant to buy the flux due to its previous reliability issues.
    New models released. Good deals on them. Loads cheaper than Wahoo. Excellent after sales. But you want the Wahoo I guess no matter what.

Oh, and you can get a Campag freehub for the Tacx for about £30 to make things simple. But you'll still go for the Kickr.

Marketing eh?

I assume you're speaking about the Flux S it Flux 2?

I wouldn't go near a Flux 1 unless you paid me to.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    joelharrop wrote:

Marketing eh?

Yes. A Flux S or a Flux 2. But my comments were directed toward the OP

What's your objections to either of those?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I found a site that still sells the Ambrosio cassettes:

https://rsicycles.co.uk/index.php/cycli ... -3500.html

May stock up for my winter bike.
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    I think I've got one of the Ambrosio cassettes knocking about in my spares bin, if anyone is interested. 11-28, probably decent condition (it's a while since I've used it). It'll otherwise end up on eBay one day, but I'll post it for £15 and cut out the middle man :-)
  • joelharrop wrote:

Marketing eh?
    I appreciate your comments. The flux S doesn't quite meet the specification that I want and the flux 2 still isn't actually available yet even though it is a very similar specification to the wahoo so could consider it. On top of that I have first hand experience using the kickr core and I really liked what I saw with it.
  • super_davo wrote:
    I found a site that still sells the Ambrosio cassettes:

https://rsicycles.co.uk/index.php/cycli ... -3500.html

May stock up for my winter bike.
    I have looked on this website and when you actually get down to buying it, it doesn't show as being in stock. Again, I appreciate your response.
  • jpj84 wrote:
    I think I've got one of the Ambrosio cassettes knocking about in my spares bin, if anyone is interested. 11-28, probably decent condition (it's a while since I've used it). It'll otherwise end up on eBay one day, but I'll post it for £15 and cut out the middle man :-)
    I would be very interested in taking you up on this if it's a Shimano freehub to campy 10 speed. Can you pm the details?
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Dannbodge wrote:
    joelharrop wrote:

Marketing eh?

Yes. A Flux S or a Flux 2. But my comments were directed toward the OP

What's your objections to either of those?

Nothing to the new ones, I have nothing against Tacx (I have a Neo)...

The flux 1 however is a completely different story