Knee discomfort

chaymck
chaymck Posts: 157
I realize everyone is different but i wonder if anyone has suffered and found a solution to my issue!

When riding on rollers/turbo I get a feeling of fullness in one knee, this discomfort is below the kneecap and pushes down the front of the leg for app 5 cms. Discomfort is enough to stop me riding. After about 30mins, either easy or pushing hard.

My set up is the same, no new shoes etc. And has been the same for 10 plus years. Ride 3 or 4 times a week, road only, just for fitness and fun.

Issue really started when doing more focused training this autumn (20min efforts). And now I get issue when riding outside which I never did before. Overuse?

Seen physio. Nothing of note apart from some tightness in left piriformis. I have some stretching exercises and rest prescribed.

Anyone worked through similar? Used strapping etc

Ta

Comments

• chaymck wrote:
    I realize everyone is different but i wonder if anyone has suffered and found a solution to my issue!

When riding on rollers/turbo I get a feeling of fullness in one knee, this discomfort is below the kneecap and pushes down the front of the leg for app 5 cms. Discomfort is enough to stop me riding. After about 30mins, either easy or pushing hard.

My set up is the same, no new shoes etc. And has been the same for 10 plus years. Ride 3 or 4 times a week, road only, just for fitness and fun.

Issue really started when doing more focused training this autumn (20min efforts). And now I get issue when riding outside which I never did before. Overuse?

Seen physio. Nothing of note apart from some tightness in left piriformis. I have some stretching exercises and rest prescribed.

Ta

Without seeing your set up, I’m only guessing, but it sounds like your saddle position / cleat position is wrong. Positioning the saddle slightly forward and ( possibly ) up, in conjunction with positioning the cleats a bit further backwards might help.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    chaymck wrote:

Ta

Without seeing your set up, I’m only guessing, but it sounds like your saddle position / cleat position is wrong. Positioning the saddle slightly forward and ( possibly ) up, in conjunction with positioning the cleats a bit further backwards might help.

So no issues for 10 years - and all of a sudden his saddle/cleat position is wrong? :roll:

OP - if you've been upping the effort recently (as you said), then it does sound like over-use. Listen to your physio. Rest is probably the only answer if so...
  • Imposter wrote:
    chaymck wrote:

Ta

So no issues for 10 years - and all of a sudden his saddle/cleat position is wrong? :roll:

OP - if you've been upping the effort recently (as you said), then it does sound like over-use. Listen to your physio. Rest is probably the only answer if so...

For once I agree ( kind of ) the extra use / effort is what’s flagged it up, but I think the underlying cause is positional.
  • imposter2.0
    For once I agree ( kind of ) the extra use / effort is what’s flagged it up, but I think the underlying cause is positional.

You can' t have it both ways. Either the cause is over-use/over-extension, or it is positional. To go 10+ years with no issues suggests it is not positional - underlying or otherwise. You're not making sense.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Over-use and getting older and less flexible possibly? It was in my case. Now I do daily glute, hip and leg stretches. Look at Yoga for cyclists videos on YouTube. Really helps.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    edited November 2018
    Double post.

• chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Rest and stretching for a couple of weeks is the plan.

If no better or still have issues I'll look at set up. But like I say, my current fit is the same as it has been for a long time.

Just seems to be worse when in fixed riding position on rollers (little moving about and standing etc).
  • photonic69
    edited November 2018
    Triple post! Meh

• Imposter wrote:
    chaymck wrote:

Ta

You are a dick, sometimes youre right but only by luck. you know feck all about cycling or physio issues. please just drink bleach

Really? Okay, whatever.
  • Imposter wrote:

You can' t have it both ways. Either the cause is over-use/over-extension, or it is positional. To go 10+ years with no issues suggests it is not positional - underlying or otherwise. You're not making sense.

It’s not that difficult a concept to grasp ( Id have thought ) You can have a bad position, but not have it cause issues, because your intensity / distance isn’t significant enough. If you up distance / intensity with the ( undiagnosed) sub optimal position, you start getting issues.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

It’s not that difficult a concept to grasp ( Id have thought ) You can have a bad position, but not have it cause issues, because your intensity / distance isn’t significant enough. If you up distance / intensity with the ( undiagnosed) sub optimal position, you start getting issues.

For 10 YEARS? FFS, just go away and stop trolling. You've already been banned FOUR TIMES. Why do you keep coming back?
  • Imposter wrote:

Why do you keep coming back?

To try and educate the ill informed, by using a heady mix of actual real world knowledge, and experience.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Why do you keep coming back?[

/quote]

To try and educate the ill informed, by using a heady mix of actual real world knowledge, and experience.

Clearly you're trolling, but I'll humour you...

So the fact that you've been banned four times now, for lying and dishing out poor/dangerous advice - how do you think it's working out? Your 'real world' knowledge seems to be based on delusion and your 'experience' is highly questionable, given that you've been exposed as a serial liar so many times on here.

Alternatively, you may well be mentally ill - in which case you really do need help.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Imposter wrote:
    chaymck wrote:

Ta

You are a dick, sometimes youre right but only by luck. you know feck all about cycling or physio issues. please just drink bleach

8)
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Having the same fit for 10 years doesn't mean it is correct, also fitness/flexibility/training load would probably not be the same over those years. Bike fit changes all the time depending on those factors, not dramatically but it does.
    If it's not overuse injury you might need to check with a professional fitter since there are a lot of reasons this could be happening.