Shimano XTR di2 groupset

davinet78
davinet78 Posts: 8
edited December 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi why does most top end mountain bikes come with sram groupsets?
Which brand of bike can you get with xtr di2 as standard?
Thanks
Also what you you prefer Shimano or sram? As I’ve never had sram and don’t know how they perform or feel compared to Shimano.
Thanks again

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I wouldn't buy a bike depending upon which groupset it had. But if it was a toss up between two bikes where one was SRAM and one was Shimano, I'd go for SRAM. I used to be a Shimano boy through and through, but that was only because every bike I'd ever bought just happened to come with Shimano. So my "preference" was based upon ignorance. Then I bought a bike that just happened to be SRAM. It was an internet import, so no chance to ride it, or even see it! I knew what I was getting, but I welcomed the opportunity to learn. :)

After a short niggling period, I adjusted. I came to very much prefer the SRAM shifter setup, the SRAM Guide brakes have been superb. And the SRAM Eagle 12-speed has been faultless, once I had set it up properly rather than letting the bike shop do it. I am now on my second bike with all Sram and I am very happy. If I was building a bike from scratch it would be SRAM throughout. "There are none so devout as the recently converted!" :lol:
  • Which brand of bike can you get with xtr di2 as standard?

Pivot.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    davinet78 wrote:
    Hi why do most top end mountain bikes come with sram groupsets?
    Because SRAM have a wider range of 1x11 and 1x12 groupsets and the entry 1x11 NX is excellent value and proving pretty robust, I think the cheapest bike I've seen it on was the short lived and sorely missed Trott and that was circa £400.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Plus, SRAM can offer bike manufacturers pretty well everything. Truvative for components, Rockshox for up and down bits, then brakes, groupsets and wheels from the SRAM (or Zipp for road) brand.

Makes it easier for buyers, and they can offer discounts across the whole range, rather than just gears and brakes.

And that's before we get into how much easier SRAM are to deal with than Shimano from almost every business aspect, and that SRAM have beaten Shimano to the punch with new tech on everything bar electronic shifting recently (even that has now been beaten by wireless etap!)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er