Is it worth upgrading the bottom bracket to Dura Ace?

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited November 2018 in Workshop
I currently have a 6700 Ultegra groups set and BB. I have been buying Dura Ace 9000 components to replace the Ultegra and am wondering whether there will be much benefit to changing the BB for a Dura Ace or not to bother.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Don't bother. Replace it once the bearings are worn out, not before.
  • No.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless weight savings are your primary goal I'd not bother with D/A cassette or BB
  • earth
    keef66 wrote:
    Unless weight savings are your primary goal I'd not bother with D/A cassette or BB

I've decided to give the cassette a miss already on the grounds that the carbon spacers apparently break. I'm surprised they did not change this for the 9100 groupset.
  • earth wrote:
    I currently have a 6700 Ultegra groups set and BB. I have been buying Dura Ace 9000 components to replace the Ultegra and am wondering whether there will be much benefit to changing the BB for a Dura Ace or not to bother.

Is it threaded, or press fit. I’m guessing pressfit. I wouldn’t bother upgrading it now if it is, just wait for the one you have to wear out, then replace it with a DA if you must. If it’s threaded however, I personally think the DA cups are much more aesthetically pleasing, as well as being lighter, so maybe upgrade now.
  • earth wrote:

Is it threaded, or press fit. I’m guessing pressfit. I wouldn’t bother upgrading it now if it is, just wait for the one you have to wear out, then replace it with a DA if you must. If it’s threaded however, I personally think the DA cups are much more aesthetically pleasing, as well as being lighter, so maybe upgrade now.

Absolute nonsense. All threadfit shimano BBs are black.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    earth wrote:

True. All are black and all are outwardly very similar, if not identical. Even if they weren't, the concept of changing a BB simply because it 'looks nicer' would be patently absurd. But this is milemuncher we're talking about.....
  • earth
    earth wrote:

It's 6700 - threaded.

All Shimano BBs I have seen, including this one are metallic coloured. Who's the milemuncher??
  • imposter2.0
    earth wrote:
    earth wrote:

It's 6700 - threaded.

All Shimano BBs I have seen, including this one are metallic coloured. Who's the milemuncher??

Milemuncher/Bikergroveish/Bottom Briquettes/Killerclown - all banned. His latest username is Tetragrammaton. Possibly the most persistent, determined and irrepressible troll these forums have ever seen...
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Imposter wrote:
    earth wrote:
    earth wrote:

It's 6700 - threaded.

Milemuncher/Bikergroveish/Bottom Briquettes/Killerclown - all banned. His latest username is Tetragrammaton. Possibly the most persistent, determined and irrepressible troll these forums have ever seen...

If mankind were DA9000, chimps 6700, amoeba some version of 105 then that bell end would be Claris
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2018
    Microshift
  • earth wrote:

Totally wrong, as per usual. Google ‘silver Sora threaded BB’.
  • "earth” wrote:

It's 6700 - threaded.

The DA’s are black, and ‘slimmer’ than the lower end stuff. They come with an adaptor to help with fitting using a ‘standard’ HT2 tool.
  • imposter2.0
    earth wrote:

The OP is talking about Ultegra and DA, but you probably didn't bother reading the thread before replying. As per usual.
  • earth wrote:

Usual?
  • Tetragrammaton1
    Tetragrammaton1 Posts: 72
    edited November 2018
  • earth wrote:

037jPUA.jpg

Sora type ( metallic )

n6oOHeL.jpg

Dura Ace ( slimmer and black )
  • That's interesting. There you go then OP, best upgrade to a sora BB as it looks better.