Will Di2 levers/shifters work without being connected to battery?

frankbegbie
frankbegbie Posts: 12
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Building a bike and just wondered if I can use say, Dura Ace Di2 shifters with Ultegra 6700 gears, manually?

Comments

• I don't see a problem if your rear mech is 10 speed and so is your freewheel and so are the shifters.

They should work as if it was just mechanical and not electronic, or am I missing something?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Eh ? What ? Well no because they don't pull any cable through so your gears won't change.

Brakes yes. Gears no.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Oh and no battery - no changes. Otherwise why would you need the battery.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, it's electronic. Works with wire and motors, not cables.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I don't see a problem if your rear mech is 10 speed and so is your freewheel and so are the shifters.

They should work as if it was just mechanical and not electronic, or am I missing something?

You're missing a lot of winking smilies, as you must be joking...
  • Ok so now I know. been looking around at a few video's and none mention that NO cables are involved.

New to this so was under the impression that you changed manually via a cable and the electronics part performed micro adjustments for the perfect change.

Which begs the question what happens if the electric cable gets cut?

Needless to say, so I will, I won't be bothering.
  • imposter2.0

The same thing that would happen if a steel cable got cut...
  • Imposter wrote:

You can always carry a spare cable though.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Sounds like Di2 is not for you...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Sounds like Di2 is not for you...

Dead right mate. Always found with mechanical things you can almost always find a solution to a problem to get yourself through.
    It's a lot more difficult with electronics.
  • cooldad
    I suggest sticking to a steel single speed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    Dead right mate. Always found with mechanical things you can almost always find a solution to a problem to get yourself through.

Which kind of begs the question - why were you considering electronic shifting in the first place?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shall we tell him about etap ?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Is it just me or are there lots more of these threads recently?
  • Imposter wrote:

Which kind of begs the question - why were you considering electronic shifting in the first place?

Just for information. I saw some cheap Dura Ace Di2 levers on Ebay and wondered why.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Why what, why they were cheap?
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    I suggest sticking to a steel single speed.

fark off eh?

nobstick.

Sorry, didn't recognise you without your bike.

f9cQVCe.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I don't see a problem if your rear mech is 10 speed and so is your freewheel and so are the shifters.

Quite a lot it seems. Knowledge of the subject, experience and manners to name a few from your posts so far.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Imposter wrote:

You can always carry a spare Di2 cable though.

FYI
  • Imposter wrote:

Carry a spare cable.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    drink some bleach
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    drink some bleach

:D:D:D
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Pleased to see that some people on this forum are doing their bit to keep average IQ to a manageable level.
  • Imposter wrote:

Not quite. Cut a mechanical gear cable and the mech goes straight to the smallest sprocket / ring.
  • Imposter wrote:

Not quite. Cut a mechanical gear cable and the mech goes straight to the smallest sprocket / ring.

Insightful as ever.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

So what?..you still end up with an inoperable mech, either way.. :roll:

Seriously Nick - you need psychological help. You've been banned four times already and you still have this tragic need to come back with yet another new username and post more stuff which is pointless, irrelevant or just flat out wrong. Take the hint...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

So what?..you still end up with an inoperable mech, either way.. :roll:

Seriously Nick - you need psychological help. You've been banned four times already and you still have this tragic need to come back with yet another new username and post more stuff which is pointless, irrelevant or just flat out wrong. Take the hint...

You were wrong about what you said though, the Di2 system will leave you in whichever gear you were in when the cable failed, the mechanical one will put you in a different gear, that’s a significant difference, which I thought was well worth pointing out, and certainly isn’t “wrong”.
  • You were wrong about what you said though, the Di2 system will leave you in whichever gear you were in when the cable failed, the mechanical one will put you in a different gear, that’s a significant difference, which I thought was well worth pointing out.

In the context of this thread it isn't significant in the slightest. The OP is clearly a bit dim, and Imposter's response was obviously intended to highlight that, not get into the technicalities of how Di2 works.

Your pedantry is not helpful in the slightest.
  • imposter2.0

You were wrong about what you said though, the Di2 system will leave you in whichever gear you were in when the cable failed, the mechanical one will put you in a different gear, that’s a significant difference, which I thought was well worth pointing out, and certainly isn’t “wrong”.

Only in your own clueless imagination was I wrong. A cable break will render both mechs inoperable - if you want to debate that, go and do it elsewhere and stop embarrassing yourself here.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    You were wrong about what you said though, the Di2 system will leave you in whichever gear you were in when the cable failed, the mechanical one will put you in a different gear, that’s a significant difference, which I thought was well worth pointing out.

In the context of this thread it isn't significant in the slightest. The OP is clearly a bit dim, and Imposter's response was obviously intended to highlight that, not get into the technicalities of how Di2 works.

Your pedantry is not helpful in the slightest.

That depends on your point of view I guess. Maybe the OP is still around, maybe he now knows something new.
  • imposter2.0
    That depends on your point of view I guess. Maybe the OP is still around, maybe he now knows something new.

The OP will certainly have learnt to disregard your fanciful nonsense in future..