Rickshaws in London

rower63
rower63 Posts: 1,991
edited November 2018 in Commuting chat
I recently noticed a tariff of fares for those rickshaws that seem to congregate at the bottom of Westminster Bridge, amongst other places. They were, let's say, "quite expensive". And that was before I noticed the extra words, "per person" - Jeez! They all seem to have the same laminated chart. For example, IIRC, £25 for a short touristy journey. Per person.

Meanwhile, in Dublin, they've decided to do something about them
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/r ... 94831.html
Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
Ridley Noah FAST 2013
Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Cripes, I'd seen the tariffs but hadn't realised they were per person. 10 quid to Waterloo Station seems particularly steep, especially as (compared with walking) it's not even a particularly nice route. What's the attraction? I can't imagine the riders smell particularly pleasant by the end of a long shift.

Got stuck behind one on the Embankment yesterday who'd stopped to chat with another one coming the other way...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/r ... ra-7051045

600 quid for a half hour journey :shock:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Anyone used the pedalme app ? They seem a lot better. £5 pick-up and £1 per km
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cougie wrote:
    Still don't quite see the point. Boris bike is going to be cheaper, more pleasant, and (if the rickshaw riders are anything to go by) far less terrifying. There's no way I'm going to comfortable on a bike in London traffic, with anyone other than me in control.

Anyone unable to ride a Boris bike is probably going to be better off in a black cab than wedging themselves into the front of a cargo bike.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    After reading cabbies tweets about cyclists there's no way that they're getting any of my money.

I take your point about the Boris bike but the service is handy if you've a partner who doesn't want to cycle.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    cougie wrote:

Yes, and I'm now a shareholder in them.
    For me it was the opportunity to get 2 kids and myself across to the royal Albert from Waterloo after our train was late in, and the kids were being silly sods about having to walk at pace short distance, let alone up exhibition road or Hyde park corner to the RA.

Kids loved it, would much rather use them than a black cab or Uber
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    I've used them to lug demo kit to meetings. Works very well but you have to plan 30 mins ahead of time.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    cougie wrote:
    After reading cabbies tweets about cyclists there's no way that they're getting any of my money.

I take your point about the Boris bike but the service is handy if you've a partner who doesn't want to cycle.

its for tourists mainly isnt it ? Boris bikes are handy but even if youve worked out how to hire one, if youve never been to London before how do you work out where to go, which road to take to your destination, it can be incredibly confusing and surprising at times with distances, even if you feel like a veteran its not so much you get lost sometimes as end up taking an extended route instead.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Confession: I live in South London and work in North London and have never used a Boris Bike.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm not from London but go there at least once a year. Riding a Santander Bike in London seems easy. I can get from say Euston to Tower Hill with one or two stops to check what direction I should be heading in. Much more fun than the tube and loads quicker than walking.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm not from London but go there at least once a year. Riding a Santander Bike in London seems easy. I can get from say Euston to Tower Hill with one or two stops to check what direction I should be heading in. Much more fun than the tube and loads quicker than walking.
    I Tbf I do tend to walk quite a lot in London, if it's just a few stops on the tube, then i'd walk. Otherwise it's tube or my own bike if commuting.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Those things are a menace on the segregated cycle lane. They're really slow so everyone wants to overtake them but they're hard to see round.

And when they're parked up at Westminster Bridge they often play cr@p music loudly.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • wandsworth wrote:
    Those things are a menace on the segregated cycle lane. They're really slow so everyone wants to overtake them but they're hard to see round.

And when they're parked up at Westminster Bridge they often play cr@p music loudly.

And when there’s loads of them, the noise and light show, is nauseating.