Continental GP 5000 - also available in tubeless

Comments

• I always felt that if there was a tubeless version of the GP4000 I'd buy it.
    Given that the GP5000 is supposedly better that makes me happy.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Mega RRP ! Hopefully they'll arrive closer priced to the 4000s.
    Dave
  • 75 Euro?
    Good thing I moved away from tubeless
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Good thing but there are bloomin' loads of similar tyres available...

We.Need.A.TL.Ready.Winter.Road.Tyre!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Fusion 5 All season?
  • 75 Euro?

Yep you saved 5 euros over the non tubeless version :)
  • ddraver
    Fusion 5 All season?

Tried them, they were awful. Forum favourites IRC are not available enough...

COME ON ALREADY WITH THE DURANO TUBELESS, SCHWALBE!!!
    - @ddraver
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Bloomin' hell, 150 euros to kit out your bike! Think I'll stick to the Bonty R3 TL's at £29.99 each.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    SkeetAM wrote:
    Bloomin' hell, 150 euros to kit out your bike! Think I'll stick to the Bonty R3 TL's at £29.99 each.
    Where?
  • ddraver wrote:
    Fusion 5 All season?

Awful in what way? Just curious as I'm running them as my first foray into tubeless and they seem to get the job done.
  • skeetam
    TimothyW wrote:
    SkeetAM wrote:
    Where?

My apologies, I meant the R2 here https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/tyres-c125/r2-hard-case-lite-tlr-tyre-p14521
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    Fusion 5 All season?

Awful in what way? Just curious as I'm running them as my first foray into tubeless and they seem to get the job done.

They cut up as soon as I looked at them. Big cuts that wouldn't seal. They were also ridiculously hard to fit. I gave them way more chances than they deserved. If they last through summer, try the Pro Ones come spring, They are really very good but they re not good designed for dirty winter UK lanes...
    - @ddraver
  • SkeetAM wrote:

The RRP for the GP4000's isn't much less than the 5000's but we all know you can get them for far cheaper than that. I imagine the same will soon apply with the 5000's.
  • 75 Euro?

Yep you saved 5 euros over the non tubeless version :)

Or 100 over a pair of Rubino PRO.

The tubeless market is becoming more niche rather than less... every new tyre is priced higher than the previous, which is the opposite of what I thought was going to happen back in 2014 when I went tubeless. I don't see a queue of people rushing to spend 150 euro for a couple of tyres that will do 2,000 miles at best.... in my case that's about 3 months, which means up to 600 euro per year in tyres, if I was to have them on both bikes.

They will, of course, sell a few, but it won't be the new GP 4000
  • ddraver wrote:
    They cut up as soon as I looked at them. Big cuts that wouldn't seal. They were also ridiculously hard to fit. I gave them way more chances than they deserved. If they last through summer, try the Pro Ones come spring, They are really very good but they re not good designed for dirty winter UK lanes...

Interesting, they were definitely the latest "HUTCHINSON FUSION 5 ALL SEASON 11 STORM" version?

I can only give my experience so far which is that they went on my rims with a normal track pump (no airshot) and I've ran over a coffee mug (Central London for you :lol: ) which sealed so I could make it to work with some pressure left.

Hopefully they make it through to April and by then the GP5000 TL will have some reviews.
  • ddraver wrote:

Interesting, they were definitely the latest "HUTCHINSON FUSION 5 ALL SEASON 11 STORM" version?

I can only give my experience so far which is that they went on my rims with a normal track pump (no airshot) and I've ran over a coffee mug (Central London for you :lol: ) which sealed so I could make it to work with some pressure left.

Hopefully they make it through to April and by then the GP5000 TL will have some reviews.

I have used Hutchinson Sector and Mavic Yksion tubeless, whic hare made by Hutchinson... they both lasted very little... a thousand miles before they began to puncture every other ride. Not overly impressed by their durability.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I'd love to have a bike that good take 32c GP5000s tubeless, bet that would be a lovely ride!
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    edited November 2018
    I have used Hutchinson Sector and Mavic Yksion tubeless, whic hare made by Hutchinson... they both lasted very little... a thousand miles before they began to puncture every other ride. Not overly impressed by their durability.

That means lightweight tires are not suited for your riding conditions. That's why Continental chose a "heavy" tubeless tire in my opinion, they don't want to drive sales down by releasing a light/fast tire that cuts easily and people complain/don't buy it because they use it in the wrong conditions. The lightest tubeless tires are meant for dry conditions only if you want to get good mileage.

I think people make that mistake and think sealant will fix everything, that's why they choose the lightest tubeless tires. Thing is you need to compromise somewhere.
  • zefs wrote:

That means lightweight tires are not suited for your riding conditions. That's why Continental chose a "heavy" tubeless tire in my opinion, they don't want to drive sales down by releasing a light/fast tire that cuts easily and people complain about it because they use it in the wrong conditions. The lightest tubeless tires are meant for dry conditions only if you want to get good mileage.
    I don't understand this. Why will tyres wear out quicker in wet conditions? I would have thought the opposite since they will be cooler and therefore the rubber will be harder.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Umm, am I missing something here:
    (tube-type) is supposedly faster with 12% less rolling resistance; more durable with a 20% boost in puncture protection
    compared to the Grand Prix 4000 S II, Continental says the Grand Prix 5000 TL rolls 5% faster, despite using a coarser 180tpi casing relative to the tube-type Grand Prix 5000 as well as an additional innermost layer that improves air retention. It’s also said to be 5% more puncture-resistant
    Does that mean the tubeless 5000 has more rolling resistance than the tubed 5000, and is less puncture resistant? (excluding the sealant)
    Maybe there's a typo, or I've misunderstood.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I don't understand this. Why will tyres wear out quicker in wet conditions? I would have thought the opposite since they will be cooler and therefore the rubber will be harder.

Wet roads/rain draws gravel and other sharp objects into the roadway, and lubricates them so that they have an easier time sliding into your tyre, so cutting/puncturing it.

The gravel is abrasive on the tyres so wears them down faster than dry clear tarmac. The cuts eventually render the tyre unusable.

You are correct though, in that a clean wet road would wear the tyre slower than a clean dry road.
  • zefs
    edited November 2018
    Umm, am I missing something here:
    (tube-type) is supposedly faster with 12% less rolling resistance; more durable with a 20% boost in puncture protection
    compared to the Grand Prix 4000 S II, Continental says the Grand Prix 5000 TL rolls 5% faster, despite using a coarser 180tpi casing relative to the tube-type Grand Prix 5000 as well as an additional innermost layer that improves air retention. It’s also said to be 5% more puncture-resistant
    Does that mean the tubeless 5000 has more rolling resistance than the tubed 5000, and is less puncture resistant? (excluding the sealant)
    Maybe there's a typo, or I've misunderstood.

My guess is 12% less rolling resistance vs 4000sii tubed.
    5% difference between 5000 TL vs 5000 tubed.

17% difference between 5000TL and 4000sii tubed, that means if the claims by Continental are true it will be as fast as the Galactik's on the flats, which makes it a great tire with only weight/price for penalty.

GCN video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDASVXBAw8U
  • zefs wrote:

That means lightweight tires are not suited for your riding conditions. That's why Continental chose a "heavy" tubeless tire in my opinion, they don't want to drive sales down by releasing a light/fast tire that cuts easily and people complain/don't buy it because they use it in the wrong conditions. The lightest tubeless tires are meant for dry conditions only if you want to get good mileage.

I'd say Sector and Yksion are heavy tubeless tyres... 300 grams for the former.. the latter was a 30 mm Elite All road weighing 330 grams
  • zefs
    zefs wrote:

I'd say Sector and Yksion are heavy tubeless tyres... 300 grams for the former.. the latter was a 30 mm Elite All road weighing 330 grams

Sector is a 2014 tire with no reinforcement, the Yksion I thought you were talking about Yksion Pro UST.
    The newer ones are a lot better.
  • zefs wrote:
    zefs wrote:

Sector is a 2014 tire with no reinforcement, the Yksion I thought you were talking about Yksion Pro UST.
    The newer ones are a lot better.

This, it is UST

image_2_20606.jpg
  • skeetam
    Joe Totale wrote:
    SkeetAM wrote:

The RRP for the GP4000's isn't much less than the 5000's but we all know you can get them for far cheaper than that. I imagine the same will soon apply with the 5000's.

Lets hope so!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    IRC are available not sue why DDriver thinks they are not. They are not available everywhere though and tey may never be because IRC does not produce in the volumes that conti do. Goodyar Eagle is another tubeless winter tyre. I have a pair waiting to go on.

If the RRP falls to the trade price +VAT which is what conti, schwalbe actually sell for online then even online retailers like wiggle who buy at closer to the OEM price of £20 will moan privately.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ddraver
    Malcolm, I have no beef with you, you sold me a very wonderful frame on which I ride said tyres. However, every time I need to look at new tyres I can never find IRC in stock. Hence my ill-advised flirt with Hutch Fusions.

(I would say that the Sectors were much better at set up. However, for a tyre designed for Paris Roubaix, they also cut easily...)
    - @ddraver
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I do run out occasionally. Every time I buy tyres I empty the shops bank account so there is only so many I can buy.

I probably remember you if I knew your name.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Fusion 5 All season?

COME ON ALREADY WITH THE DURANO TUBELESS, SCHWALBE!!!

Good to know. I only suggested them as they came on a pair of Cero AR30 wheels that I bought for training wheels on my race bike... I think I will run them to death then replace them with 25mm Pro ones. I also recently got a pair of Novatec jetfly wheels for my winter bike that I need to setup tubeless. Which IRC is recommended? Wet, X-guard or RBCC?