Replacement Tyres

woodland81
woodland81 Posts: 19
edited November 2018 in Commuting general
Hello,

Looking for some tyre advice for my hybrid and road bike.
Havent cycled much this year (need to fix the hydraulic brake) but want to try and maybe commute once or twice a week depending on weather. 16mile round trip.

I have a boardman mx comp -700x35c - Schwalbe Tyrago. Rear tyre looks warn.
and a Boardman Road Carbon - 700x25c

Am I better off just getting some new tyres (same again) for the Hybrid (need to fix the hydraulic breaks too) or would getting a more winter style of tyre for the road bike provide good enough grip for me to use that bike.

I think I wold get a shock going back to my hybrid bike as not touched it probably in a year, since i got the road bike.

Any recommendation of tyres?
So far ive looked at schwalbe, marathons &plus. obviously not everything is compatible with my road wheels

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sch ... prod143806

Also wondered what these would be like, i know they are very cheap for a pair

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/ ... %5B%5D=313

https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/1546022 ... gIsJvD_BwE

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG ... wired-tyre

Comments

• If you fancy treating you and the bike and your barely go off road, Merlin have 32mm Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons for ~£31 each. Fitted my first pair of 28mm of these last weekend and they felt lovely compared to the 28mm Vittoria Isotech G+ that were on the Cube.

In fact Merlin have automatic 10% on all tyres added to basket this weekend.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • they look good, quite pricey though
  • woodland81 wrote:
    they look good, quite pricey though

if you just want cheap tyres then, £10 tyres at around the right size will be fine, will be broadly similar to what you have, on the hybrid.

none are likely to have terribly good grip or wear rates etc. if you want good grip etc then you'll have to shell out, since that generally means posher softer rubber, oddly I found that cheap tyres even though they had fairly hard rubber the tyres wore fairly quickly I do 100 ish miles per week so for myself that is a consideration.
  • Is it beneficial getting some more weather proof tyres for my road bike, to fit my 700x25. Or should I just not bother if the thin tyres would struggle in anything wet, little icy

Sorted the hybrid breaks today. rear wheel skids very easily when brake, so def needs new tyres for that one
  • woodland81 wrote:
    Is it beneficial getting some more weather proof tyres for my road bike, to fit my 700x25. Or should I just not bother if the thin tyres would struggle in anything wet, little icy

Sorted the hybrid breaks today. rear wheel skids very easily when brake, so def needs new tyres for that one

I’ve got an MX comp and a Pro Carbon road bike. I went with 35c Schwalbe Marathon plus on the MX, and 25c Schwalbe Durano plus, on the Pro Carbon, during the winter, the relative weight and drag of these tyres, is more than compensated for by their durability.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    If you fancy treating you and the bike and your barely go off road, Merlin have 32mm Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons for ~£31 each. Fitted my first pair of 28mm of these last weekend and they felt lovely compared to the 28mm Vittoria Isotech G+ that were on the Cube.

How many punctures did you have with the Vittoria's incidentally?
    ...and did you combine them with latex inner tubes?
    They work really well together.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:
    If you fancy treating you and the bike and your barely go off road, Merlin have 32mm Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons for ~£31 each. Fitted my first pair of 28mm of these last weekend and they felt lovely compared to the 28mm Vittoria Isotech G+ that were on the Cube.

How many punctures did you have with the Vittoria's incidentally?
    ...and did you combine them with latex inner tubes?
    They work really well together.

Just the one on the rear during https://www.strava.com/activities/1873113641 while I was still using the latex tubes from when I had the GP4000S IIs fitted over summer. The Vittorias felt OK at the time of using them for ~1 month, but https://www.strava.com/activities/1932769102 felt so good in comparison with the 4 Seasons fitted... Although I had also fitted a new chain, casette plus given the drivetrain a good clean that day too, so other factors could be at play.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    I know the Vittoria's don't roll as good as other tyres. I noticed this when I swapped over from Michelin's in whatever guise up to Pro 4's and Conti's.
    However, between the Corsa CX and the Pave (summer and winter bikes respectively), I have had 1 puncture in... 2 years*? It has put in doubt the efficacy/cost of changing to tubeless or going tubular.
    Whereas the Michelins and the Conti's cut up, wore out quick or punctured easily. I also had a Conti rear (4000's) inexplicably wearing out on one side of the tyre within a few months of getting it. I posted a thread on here about it somewhere. There was no mechanical cause.

*Memory discrepancies aside.

So I ride Vittoria's 'cos it's less hassle. Less punctures is a highly desirable attribute. Especially in winter, by the side of the road with cold, numb hands trying to swap a tube over is a complete PITA, we've all been there. I also found that Michelin's sit big on the rim and it would be impossible to get say 28's under the crud catchers. They sat almost as big as my Vittoria 27's on the rim.

With the latex inner tubes, the maximum circumference that I can fit under the cc's i've found I can up the pressure to compensate for the slightly higher rolling resistance (seemingly) and it's not less comfortable.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:
    It has put in doubt the efficacy/cost of changing to tubeless or going tubular.

I have given up on tubeless for the moment.

The tyres are FANTASTIC, the self sealing is AWESOME.

Just can't get the sodding wheel itself to stay sealed for an acceptable length of time and have ended up sticking tubes in defeating the whole point. Even with the wheel (DT Swiss, so not a cheap one) as supplied from the factory ready to go the record is 2700 miles/1 year and that one has now sprung a leak somewhere. The rear one seems to spring a leak somewhere within a couple of months even when retaped with Gorilla tape or genuine DT swiss tubeless tape and a brand new DT Swiss valve fitting.

Will try again, just lost the will at the moment.