Madone SLR - Oh I have been a naughty boy !!

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited November 2018 in Your road bikes
I saw one of these in battleship grey in the window of our local Trek dealer recently and did some research. Really fancied trying a rocket ship to complement my Italian stable. I picked this up 2nd hand and tried it out yesterday.

My first foray into Di2 (which is brilliant) and 60km almost all in the drops saw an average 4kph increase on my usual times. Its brilliant ! I love the design features such as the battery and Di2 controls hidden in the down tube, and the 'vector wings' for the front brake. Its very nearly a wire free zone.

Wish it was the spring so I could use it more !!

44817639795_17887b4701_o.jpg

43913958990_34e7033fe4_o.jpg

44817642075_e5d66c43ff_o.jpg

45006593394_26fef7edc7_o.jpg

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Purdy bike ! It'd be even faster without that wheel magnet holding you back...

:-)
  • Very nice!
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Nice colour scheme. If you're interested, I have a link for a shop that make 3D printed adapters to attach a go pro on the rear light mount. I struggled to find anything else that would fit. Also useful if you want to use a non bontrager rear light that fits said mounting system.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZS5VV ... pro-insert
  • shipley
    SJH76 wrote:
    Nice colour scheme. If you're interested, I have a link for a shop that make 3D printed adapters to attach a go pro on the rear light mount. I struggled to find anything else that would fit. Also useful if you want to use a non bontrager rear light that fits said mounting system.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZS5VV ... pro-insert

Great thanks for that. The previous owner gave me a bag of adapters I’m working my way through, but that’ll be handy.
  • Don’t normally like American bikes, but that is lush...looks very rapid....red or black pedals needed though :wink:
  • shipley
    Don’t normally like American bikes, but that is lush...looks very rapid....red or black pedals needed though :wink:

Yep - they’re on order.....the white were the only ones ‘in stock’ !!

I’m with you on the American bike view....the rest of mine are Colnagos but this thing is a hoot :D
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Stunning, always loved the look of the new aero Madone. One of those bikes you just have to ride fast though!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited November 2018
    That;'s a very nice bike BUT it's exactly that. It's not a 'rocket ship' and will get horse crap all over it if you keep it in your 'Italian stable' unless, of course, you mean the shed / garage / outbuilding where you keep your Italian bikes.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Lovely bike, saw some of these in a local race and they look really nice in the flesh.
  • SJH76
    ayjaycee wrote:
    That;'s a very nice bike BUT it's exactly that. It's not a 'rocket ship' and will get horse crap all over it if you keep it in your 'Italian stable' unless, of course, you mean the shed / garage / outbuilding where you keep your Italian bikes.

Why do people feel their comment must come tinged with such nastiness?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    IMHO not nasty - just somebody who's grounded enough to get fed up with people talking about 'steed' or, even less likely, 'rocket ship' when all they're doing is riding a bike. Sorry but that's just the way I feel. If you think that's nastiness, you ought to explore the internet a bit more. That said, I still think it's a nice bike - end of conversation.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • SJH76
    ayjaycee wrote:
    IMHO not nasty - just somebody who's grounded enough to get fed up with people talking about 'steed' or, even less likely, 'rocket ship' when all they're doing is riding a bike. Sorry but that's just the way I feel. If you think that's nastiness, you ought to explore the internet a bit more. That said, I still think it's a nice bike - end of conversation.

So by that argument it's ok to just come out with that drivel just because yeah, ya know. it's the internet innit. Pick him up on his bike all you like that's fine but his language makes no sense. If that's your personal pet hate then this is mine so live with it! :wink:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Surprised AJC didnt take offence at it being called battleship grey too...
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Lovely bike, looks very purposeful. I just bought myself a new ‘best bike’ a few weeks ago and, like you, cannot wait for the winter to be over to get some serious mileage in - the downside of an end of season sale, I suppose. Initial impressions over 50 miles or so are that it is great but can’t bring myself to take it out in the sh***y weather at the moment.
    Roll on spring 8)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In the same way I'm still waiting to properly test my Alpha ROS jacket I picked up in the end of season sale earlier in the year. It was 14c yesterday! It's November FFS! Bring on the winter!
  • shipley
    keef66 wrote:
    In the same way I'm still waiting to properly test my Alpha ROS jacket I picked up in the end of season sale earlier in the year. It was 14c yesterday! It's November FFS! Bring on the winter!

That’s enough of that kind of talk :D

Lashed rain all day today...and will contine through the weekend by the looks of it. CX Sportive on Sunday will be a mud fest.

Oh for the hot dry summer...Sigma Sports have just delivered me some lovely gumwall Bontrager R4 tyres too !!

They’ll be in the garage for a while......
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Lovely bike. I've just ordered my Cipollini frame for next season, luckily it won't arrive until Feb, which removes the temptation to ride it until Spring.
  • shipley
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Lovely bike. I've just ordered my Cipollini frame for next season, luckily it won't arrive until Feb, which removes the temptation to ride it until Spring.

Ooh nice - what have your ordered ?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Shipley wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Cipollini Bond, in Ottanio blue. I'm looking forward to next season already!
  • shipley
    The chrome blue one ? Lovely !
  • SJH76
    Bad manners talking about another bike in this poor guys thread.

Just sayin'
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Cipollini Bond, in Ottanio blue. I'm looking forward to next season already!

sounds lush - any links to piccies?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    SJH76 wrote:
    Bad manners talking about another bike in this poor guys thread.

Just sayin'
    Not really since it's the OP who encouraged @Beatmaker to elaborate on his Cipollini post
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Congratulations, that is a magnificent looking bike.
  • shipley
    Thanks mate :)
  • sweeeeeeeeeet :D
  • Looks epic standing still. Mmm bike envy