XT 1x11 or Sram NX eagle 1x12?

moonshine
moonshine Posts: 1,021
edited November 2018 in MTB buying advice
my new Trance 29er comes with Sram NX Eagle 1x12 with an 11-50 groupset fitted as standard from the factory
I upgraded my existing stumpjumper FSR Elite groupset to XT 1x11 last year & wonder if it is worthwhile swapping out the SRAM g/s before i ride it?
I've come from a shimano background and test rode Eagle XX1 and found it OK, but the lever movement (push/push) a bit counter intuative compares to what i was used to. i found my thinb lept fouling the lower leaver when i went to shift and also the NX g/s is a bit plasticy in feel, though probably works OK.

what is the opinion on keeping the SRAM 1x12 or swapping out the new SRAM g/s for my existing XT 1x11?

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I'd definitely see how you go with the Sram before you spend any time or money on changing. I've currently got SLX 1x11 and when it's time to replace it, the NX is top of my list at the moment. Sram for gears, Shimano for brakes. :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • moonshine
    I was more thinking of swapping the 1x11 XT groupset from my existing bike over to my new bike.
    All it would cost me is a new RD cable...
  • I've also had Shimano on my bikes, SLX and XT.

2nd hand FS bike came with SRAM 1x11. Worked fine for me, even though my HT was still on XT. I find the shifters very intuitive.

Recently had a new wheel build and for simplicity sake (and cost) I've gone to an XT cassette 11-42 and XT chain. Still using SRAM shifters and mech. Works really well.

I'd give it a go but if you're comfortable with the XT set-up just swap it over.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • moonshine
    Thanks...
    G
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    SRAM NX 1x12 Eagle is realy good. It works just like the higher tier eagle groupsets. I would not change it for XT. XT is just lighter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jamski
    moonshine wrote:
    I was more thinking of swapping the 1x11 XT groupset from my existing bike over to my new bike.
    All it would cost me is a new RD cable...

I still wouldn't swap it. I feel Sram 1x is smoother, easier to shift, generally quieter than Shimano. And I'm saying that as a current Shimano user. It's fine, nothing wrong with it, just prefer Sram for drive chain.
  • moonshine
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will keep the SRAM groupset on then... Cheers
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I was a committed Shimano gear rider, but only because every bike I'd had came with Shimano!

Then I bought a bike with SRAM gears. I thought the adjustment would be a bit like switching from a manual shift car to an auto; ie a few bedding in problems until your brain adjusts. Then the switch from one car to the other is automatic and trouble free. Or so I thought.

But I just could not make the mental change rapidly enough when riding one bike with Shimano and then the next with SRAM. Whichever bike I was on, I always had the fractional pause before going for thumb shift or finger pull on the small lever. Shimano shifters can cope with either finger pull or thumb press on the small lever(at least on the bikes I rode). But the lever position that was best for Shimano doesn't work too well for thumb push on the small lever. It can be done, but not well.

So I grasped the nettle and set up the Shimano sifters so that I could more easily thumb push the small lever. That worked well and I had no more missed gears at critical times. But by now I had decided that I very much preferred the SRAM set up over Shimano. I could shift and change gear at the same time, all without reducing my grip on the bars.

So I converted the Shimano shifting set up to SRAM. The change provided the spur to move from 2x10 to 1x11. Happiness all round! :D
  • jamski
    Shifting with just the thumb is amazing. Took a little while to get used to, but now on my SLX I do it that way too.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    A friend recently got a new to him but great condition used yt Capra it had sram gears I found it to be clunky when I had a ride on it.

Or have I been spoilt by having xtr on my bike, that is so smooth to shift gears.

Personally I’d stick with shimano but up to you, try it and if you don’t like it stick it on eBay and then buy Deore Xt or whatever you prefer.
  • I think if you have either brand’s latest setup that’s clean / well adjusted you’ll be fine. I do prefer sram personally - gx 11 speed on both mtb’s with gx 10-42 cassette - the enduro has a 30t steel eagle chainring - the ht has a 32t alloy eagle chainring. I’d prefer to have steel on both as they last so much better.

I have Shimano 105 on my road bike and it’s vague feeling no matter how adjusted. It doesn’t offend me enough to change it but it’s no my preference.

I’ve recently had a go on a mate’s 10 speed slx / xt setup and the shifter didn’t feel very nice as thumb only shifting, one of the levers felt too small / too short to me.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    SLX and XT are thumb-only for down shifts but thumb or forefinger for up shifts.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The forefinger for upshifts just feels wrong these days. Got so used to thumb shifting now with Sram it just feels more natural!
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    It is a matter of personal taste with some compromise from either camp in my opinion.

Between friends and kids and my bikes we run Shim SLX, Sram GX and NX.

Whilst I do agree the SRAM has a slightly better feel, it has for us proved to be less robust and reliable in our group, we have had 3 GX shifters break under normal use, 3 GX Rear Mech clutches fail and two snapped GX levers after very mild offs. Also the cable change is a real pain in the backside. The NX is running trouble free at the moment but its still quite new. Where we have converted to SLX there has been no issues.

I am just converting the Levo from GX to SLX as I much prefer the clutch reliability and ease of adjustment of shimano. The cable change on a Shimano could not be easier.

My personal summary is that Shimano seem to give the trickle down specs a better build than SRAM do. SRAM really do cheapen the trickle down stuff.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Joebristol wrote:
    I think if you have either brand’s latest setup that’s clean / well adjusted you’ll be fine. I do prefer sram personally - gx 11 speed on both mtb’s with gx 10-42 cassette - the enduro has a 30t steel eagle chainring - the ht has a 32t alloy eagle chainring. I’d prefer to have steel on both as they last so much better.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I think half the battle is getting it setup and keeping it well maintained. It doesn't matter what it is if it isn't shifting smoothly.

I've got a SRAM setup on my trail bike (Combination of X9 and X1) and Shimano on my XC bike. I find SRAM smoother (although the Shimano setup isn't that high end) however the Shimano kit has been absolutely bullet proof and I've found I've required much less adjusting and tweaking to keep it running well. I recently fitted a 1x11 SLX on a friends bike to replace is 3x9 and it was really easy to get shifting smoothly and felt great. He seems pretty happy with it.

I think it's mainly a matter of preference. I personally wouldn't be changing anything before you've thoroughly ridden and tested it and are not satisfied.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)