Is it Sunday yet?

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,121
edited November 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning

Quiet around here, I guess everyone's out riding.

Chocolate flapjack at mine if anyone wants some, there's loads of it. Went a bit crazy making it last night :roll:

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I'll be round later with a tin then thistle.

Having toast with mini. Going to put a couple of kilos of beef short ribs in to braise in stock and a glass of port soon with some ceps, shallots and woody herbs. Should be ready about 5 for a slap up early dinner accompanied by dripping roast spuds, broccoli and some greens. Oh yes.

I expect I'll build up an appetite by walking the dog. I might also pointlessly go up and down local hills for 45 minutes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Good night out last night at my neighbours micro-brewery & bar in SE London, did feel a bit fuzzy this morning but not too bad considering what we supped. Onto more Dads taxi work etc and maybe a bit of listening to the footy later on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Good run into town to pick up the car after last nights ale, followed by picking up a spin bike near flapjack maker - gutted I only just saw the post

Tea and another dog walk followed by visiting the folks and loading the trailer with wood

Later is local
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    'noon

ride with early doughnut stop, followed by extra brekkie at the end, slight detour around a burst water main, seem to be quite a few lately
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    edited November 2018
    Went for a jolly up the road to the newish swimming pool/leisure centre.
    Life guard tells me that Shorty must be able to swim 2 lengths on her front (25m x 2) if she wants to go into the deep end.
    I explained this to Shorty. Shorty takes one look at me and without hesitation, swims the 2 lengths.
    I saw the look in her eye and thought 'with that amount of determination, she could do anything'.

Meanwhile, it's sunny if a little hazy. mild 11 deg and if I had more energy, i'd go for a wobble.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    Went for a jolly up the road to the newish swimming pool/leisure centre.
    Life guard tells me that Shorty must be able to swim 2 lengths on her front (25m) if she wants to go into the deep end.
    I explained this to Shorty. Shorty takes one look at me and without hesitation, swims the 2 lengths.
    I saw the look in her eye and thought 'with that amount of determination, she could do anything'.

Meanwhile, it's sunny if a little hazy. mild 11 deg and if I had more energy, i'd go for a wobble.

Laters.

Nice one shorty!

Summer has returned to Scotland then? A warm one to boot! 11 degrees is shorts and lightweight jersey weather surely? :wink:
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    TLW1 wrote:
    Good run into town to pick up the car after last nights ale, followed by picking up a spin bike near flapjack maker - gutted I only just saw the post
    Have the leisure centre realised their all singing and dancing spin studio is too small for all the bikes? :roll:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    hopkinb wrote:

Having toast with mini. Going to put a couple of kilos of beef short ribs in to braise in stock and a glass of port soon with some ceps, shallots and woody herbs. Should be ready about 5 for a slap up early dinner accompanied by dripping roast spuds, broccoli and some greens. Oh yes.

I expect I'll build up an appetite by walking the dog. I might also pointlessly go up and down local hills for 45 minutes.

Just polished off my usual MASSIVE Sunday dinner. Now occupying the settee and I will take some shifting.
  • pinno
    Of course, you'll have to get up for a piddle at some point and...
    the missus will put something inane on the Telly 'cos she has the remote.
  • hopkinb
    Ballysmate wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Just polished off my usual MASSIVE Sunday dinner. Now occupying the settee and I will take some shifting.

Good work bazza's amigo. Similar here. Short rib was on offer at the supermarket. I am so stuffed, it's a cracking bit of cow for a long braise, and at a tenner for 2 kilos, very reasonable. I'm going all fancy and making croquetas with the leftovers for tomorrow's dinner.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Roast lamb joint for me in about 20 mins :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Fish pie. Broccoli, Carrots and peas for me.
    Divine.

Port is an excellent partner to slow cooked meats.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    Fish pie. Broccoli, Carrots and peas for me.
    Divine.

Port is an excellent partner to slow cooked meats.

I love fish pie.

I just had a glass of port too.

Synchronicity.
  • ballysmate
    Top rump of beef, spuds, roast spuds, roast parsnips, roasted shallots, peas, carrots, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, cabbage and yorkshire puds. Lashings of proper gravy, made with meat juices.

Hoppy, you'd have loved it.
  • hopkinb
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Top rump of beef, spuds, roast spuds, roast parsnips, roasted shallots, peas, carrots, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, cabbage and yorkshire puds. Lashings of proper gravy, made with meat juices.

Hoppy, you'd have loved it.

I would. All that veg. I love veg, but I can only ever be @rsed to do 2 veg plus the potatoes. No one else is a fan, so it would be a waste.
  • ballysmate
    I don't do any veg. It appears on my plate by some kind of magic. :lol:
  • pinno
    Pinno's top recipe tips #2

Pears poached in wine:

Medium or Medium/sweet white wine or a full bodied red. You choose.
    Peel, bar the stalk and base. Place in a pot with a good fitting lid standing.
    50% wine, 50% water. Some sugar, preferably Demerara. Make sure the pears have enough combined liquid to cover them up to the middle of the pear, so use a pot that is the right size for the number of pears you use or else you'll end up needing too much wine.
    I personally do not like the taste of pears, except when they are cooked.

Cook for 45 mins very gently.

Serve with Creme Anglaise:

Infuse vanilla into 175 to 225 ml of double cream by heating very slowly.
    St aside. You can use single cream but use an extra egg yolk.

In a Bain marie, whisk 3 egg yolks and gently add the cream slowly whisking continuously until smooth.
    Judge how much cream to add. Yolks can be big, small, old, new, fresh, free range... You don't want a thick 'custard' and you don't want it too thin. It's also good to whisk until it's light but not frothy.
    Add sugar (white or castor) to personal taste. I use very little. Roughly 50gms.

The addition of a little very lightly sugared, slightly sharp confit of berries to offset the richness is lovely. Add some red wine whilst cooking the fruit but in distinct moderation so you don't smother the flavours.

The colour of the pears when cooked in red goes from dark red at the base to light pink at the top of the pear. It's a good sight.
  • tlw1
    I just went to the local and they had a selection of foods available :)
  • tlw1
    TLW1 wrote:
    Have the leisure centre realised their all singing and dancing spin studio is too small for all the bikes? :roll:
    Not yet, it was from some family in gob......
  • pinno
    TLW1 wrote:

Yeah. Very important not to strain yourself.
    You must be earning an absolute fortune to finance your life style.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:

Yeah. Very important not to strain yourself.
    You must be earning an absolute fortune to finance your life style.
    Lets be clear, I wouldn’t have been cooking at home
  • hopkinb
    Nice pear recipe Pinno. I'll give it a bash.