Student Survey

TomHutchinson
TomHutchinson Posts: 4
edited November 2018 in MTB general
Hi my name is Tom Hutchinson a final year student at the University of Huddersfield. I am conducting research into problems with mountain biking.

By answering these questions you will be giving me consent to use your responses in my report. All participants and data provided will be anonymously recorded in my report.

I would greatly appreciate if you could complete my questionnaire.

Thanks

Here is the link to my questionnaire:
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MN8ZQSR

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That has to be one of the stupidest questionnaires ever.

But at least the spelling was OK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Thy jest?
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I answered the questions, but I wonder if the course is on the subject of constructing questionnaires? I'm not sure what on earth Tom Hutchinson is going to do with the information, other than to say "Hey, I did this survey, here are the questions and here is how they were answered: 100% of mountain bikers have been injured riding their bike, 100% of mountain bikers have f.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Filled it in but felt it was a bit disjointed.

Hope it serves some purpose.

*Disclaimer* The bit about doughnut stops was a joke.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    I will complete it for you also - there is a skill to good research for sure.

You may already be aware of a very good book on the subject (it was used for my Masters research) - gives excellent guidance and advice on qualitative and quantitative research.

In true university style I will use the Harvard referencing system: 8)

Desncombe. Martyn. (2010) The good Research Guide: For small scale social research projects. 4th Edn. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • cooldad
    Apart from seeming to ask random information, it's just badly thought out.

3. What frustrations do you have when you are mountain biking?

I ride to get away from the frustrations and hassles of everyday life.

Question 6 seems to be asking for a silly answer to question 5, as they follow on, but is actually referring to question 4, which is obvious, but any questionnaire should be as unambiguous as possible. Especially by final year varsity level.

5. If you have what problems did you encounter?
    6. If you haven’t why not, what would make you want to do this?
    4. Have you ever been mountain biking at night?

7. Do you feel like there could be an easier way to hydrate whilst cycling?

Apart from drinking?

8. Have you ever injured yourself whilst mountain biking?

Seriously?

9. If so how did you injure yourself and what could be done to prevent this?

Which time? I've been falling off bikes for over 50 years.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I found most of the questions to be ok. If there is an ambiguity then that is down to the student. There are processes for doing research and designing question sequences and they might improve but prototyping the question sequence with your friends is usually the best way.

I've just received my fourth reminder to register to vote and the questions there are idiotic.

I think that a response along the lines of I've completed the questionnaire but it is rubbish are pointless except to reveal the person posting in their true light.

Well done to the student and please ignore them.

My response to the hydration question derives from me not taking any water and waiting until I got home - I now take water with me. Not a world shattering solution but a solution nonetheless.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I answered the questions, but I wonder if the course is on the subject of constructing questionnaires? I'm not sure what on earth Tom Hutchinson is going to do with the information, other than to say "Hey, I did this survey, here are the questions and here is how they were answered: 100% of mountain bikers have been injured riding their bike, 100% of mountain bikers have f.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

...and of course no-one falls asleep reading your posts...
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • steve_sordy
    FishFish wrote:

Glad to be of service! :lol:

I recommend that you block me and then you will never have to be bored again. :D
  • cooldad
    Doubt the OP cares about the comments, or will even read them.

Pigeon poster - fly in, drop cr4p, fly off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • its spammmmmmmmmm
  • steve_sordy
    Tyke999 wrote:
    its spammmmmmmmmm

You think so? I had not considered that. It seems a lot of work with zero gain (other than the stated objectives) to be spam. The survey monkey site is annoying but reputable I believe.

If it is so easy to join the Forum and then post harmful spam that links to harmful websites, then maybe Bike Radar should be doing something to stop it. Dunno what, as I'm not an expert, but maybe no more surveys, or no more posting links by newbies until they have an established track record (and what would that be?)

A while ago, there was a rash of posts flogging fake documentation (passports, driving licences, qualifications and so forth), but at least they were easy to spot. They have either got fed up and moved on, or Bike Radar have done something to stop them.
  • cooldad
    It's not spam, just garbage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    FishFish wrote:

At least Steve's post make sense. Unlike the majority of your posts.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009