Giant SL1 Aero wheelset

philrobinson
philrobinson Posts: 83
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi Just wondering if anyone has the SL1 Aero wheelset at all and what their thoughts are on the wheels please.
I am looking to get a set of aero wheels not to deep a section but something that will improve my ride currently I am riding the basic Mavic Cosmic's. I have a chance to get the SL1 for £475 so real bargain price instead of £700-750.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/323721/p ... wheel.aspx

Cheers Phil

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    If I'm correct, they are the same as the older SLR wheels. I had them in about 2014 through to 2016. I think the only change for them was the graphic, with the SLR becoming the name for the lighter all carbon wheel.
    For my purposes they were great, reasonable weight for a 55mm wheelset. About 1850 grams I think. I preferred the aluminium brake track at the time, but its less aesthetically pleasing than all carbon rims. Again going back through my memory bank, but think the RRP when I got them was about £1200. But this was back in the days when carbon rims where having problems with heat dissipation.
    For the price you mention that's a good deal. There will be lighter options available for a tad more, however with the SL1 you get year round braking performance. But you will be impacted by side winds, there's no getting away from that. Performance wise, so difficult to say to be honest. I have over the years ridden lots of different bikes with different wheel, different tyre combinations, and being totally honest its just so little in it. They won't slow you down, whether they give you any noticeable speed advantage is probably unlikely.
    If you like the look of them and you'll enjoy riding them then go for it.
  • w00dster wrote:
    If I'm correct, they are the same as the older SLR wheels. I had them in about 2014 through to 2016. I think the only change for them was the graphic, with the SLR becoming the name for the lighter all carbon wheel.
    For my purposes they were great, reasonable weight for a 55mm wheelset. About 1850 grams I think. I preferred the aluminium brake track at the time, but its less aesthetically pleasing than all carbon rims. Again going back through my memory bank, but think the RRP when I got them was about £1200. But this was back in the days when carbon rims where having problems with heat dissipation.
    For the price you mention that's a good deal. There will be lighter options available for a tad more, however with the SL1 you get year round braking performance. But you will be impacted by side winds, there's no getting away from that. Performance wise, so difficult to say to be honest. I have over the years ridden lots of different bikes with different wheel, different tyre combinations, and being totally honest its just so little in it. They won't slow you down, whether they give you any noticeable speed advantage is probably unlikely.
    If you like the look of them and you'll enjoy riding them then go for it.

Thanks Woodster