two piece road skinsuit

mariamartinez
mariamartinez Posts: 94
edited November 2018 in Road general
Hi,

Can anyone advise where to buy two piece skinsuit for road cycling, with a top that attaches to the bottoms securely with a zip so that it becomes one piece whilst riding. Basically a skinsuit with a zip across at waist height.

thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As far as I’m aware, there are no ‘zip together’ skinsuits as such, you may have misunderstood the term. Shorts and integrated jersey is effectively what a 2-piece skin suit is, but it does not unzip into two pieces in the same way that some motorcycle kit does..
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    So basically you need a tight fitting jersey and a tight fitting shorts. Get the Rapha Aero jersey and shorts in the smallest size you ccan get. A skin suit is a 1 piece item and the high end ones you see in the teams have the zips at the back.2 piece will disrupt the airflow. Also a zip round the middle is going to cause chafing/irritation
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    This
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-sanrem ... lcQAvD_BwE
    is about as close as to what you have described.
    Castelli-Sanremo-3-2-Speedsuit-Internal-Black-SS18-CS180000102.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
  • Can anyone advise where to buy two piece skinsuit for road cycling, with a top that attaches to the bottoms securely with a zip so that it becomes one piece whilst riding. Basically a skinsuit with a zip across at waist height.

I am fairly sure that doesn't exist. Are you thinking along the lines of motorcycle zip-together leathers?

As mentioned above the Castelli San Remo Speedsuit is the closest alternative, it's basically their aero bibs and jersey sewn together without any straps, still has three (very tight) rear pockets. I've got one and I really rate it! Nice and form fitting yet superbly comfortable. Otherwise just get their aero bibs and aero jersey and roll with that if you don't want it sewn together.

Other brands do a similar copycat suits to the San Remo but I can't comment on those.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A zip would be nasty and chafing across the body.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've got the san-remo skinsuit too. Incredible bit of kit and super comfy.
    The zipped "jersey" part is loose enough when undone that it is really easy to get in and out of.

Is there any reason why you want them zipped together?
  • cougie wrote:
    A zip would be nasty and chafing across the body.

more than the zip in the skinsuit?

I am not asking for chunky zip but a small one that allows the top and bottom to attach seamlessly but also to detatch permanently.

However I admit I am confused how a roadsuit differs from a skinsuit (I think its simply that the zip goes to bottom on roadsuit but halfway in the skinsuit)?

anyway thanks all
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Skinsuit usually means it is one piece garment and usually no pockets of any description , maybe a small one for transponder. Race numbers are a pain to pin on. NOPINZ is a solution.
    If you are not racing stick to traditional 2 piece. Makes better sense.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't think a vertical zip is under too much friction but surely a horizontal one would shift a bit.

And if you unzip - you have a pair of shorts with nothing to hold them up and a Jersey that will ride up. Both useless.

I don't see the point. I'm out.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    cougie wrote:
    And if you unzip - you have a pair of shorts with nothing to hold them up and a Jersey that will ride up. Both useless.

I don't see the point. I'm out.
    :D:lol:
  • imposter2.0
    I am not asking for chunky zip but a small one that allows the top and bottom to attach seamlessly but also to detatch permanently.

As already pointed out - the separates would effectively be useless on their own, due to the positioning of the zips. What practical reason do you have for wanting something like this anyway?
    However I admit I am confused how a roadsuit differs from a skinsuit (I think its simply that the zip goes to bottom on roadsuit but halfway in the skinsuit)?

skinsuit = one piece lycra bodysuit.
    'roadsuit' = effectively a combination jersey (with full zip and pockets) and bibshorts, but attached in a 'one piece' design.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If its a toilet thing - then just go two piece.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Don't Endura do Drag2zero jersey and shorts that hook together to make them as close to a skin suit in fit as possible? Remember someone bleating on about how awesome they area and the best thing ever and make them super fast. Probably pricey though...
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    In my experience, any decent skinsuit is extremely tight to the point it's almost difficult to stand up straight in and you probably need help getting in and out of. The Castelli San Remo ( except the top of the range body paint version) is actually not very aero and there are much better options available. These things are really only used for limited time events is TTs so comfort or convenience are not really priority. I would look at getting a good fitting 1 piece suite rather than comprising.
  • Imposter wrote:
    'roadsuit' = effectively a combination jersey (with full zip and pockets) and bibshorts, but attached in a 'one piece' design.

hi, I am pretty sure a roadsuit does not come with bibshorts (ie shoulder straps)
    I also think both types have zips, otherwise you couldn't get in!
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

hi, I am pretty sure a roadsuit does not come with bibshorts (ie shoulder straps)
    I also think both types have zips, otherwise you couldn't get in!

Obviously a skinsuit has a zip. And a roadsuit will effectively have bib shorts, in the sense that they are held at the shoulders, not the waist.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    You can get a two piece Tri suit with a sleeved top and get the same effect if you really want.

Most will button together loosely.

Not sure why you want to exactly but it can be done.