PowerTap G3 DT Swiss R460 Alloy Road Wheelset

cld531c
cld531c Posts: 517
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

Does anyone have a set of these?
If so, would you recommend them?
What is the minimum tyre width they will take (cant find this online) and is the freehub noisy when frewheeling?

Thank you

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I don't have the powertap wheels but I'm familiar with the DT R460 rim - I've run 700x23 tyres on mine without issue, and most people don't tend to go smaller than that nowadays?
  • cld531c
    TimothyW wrote:
    I don't have the powertap wheels but I'm familiar with the DT R460 rim - I've run 700x23 tyres on mine without issue, and most people don't tend to go smaller than that nowadays?

Thanks, thats good to know. Just need to try and find out if the freehub is noisy!
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have a set of these, the freehub is fairly noisy. As a power meter the G3 is rock solid, no drop outs, no spikes. In terms of build quality the rear wheel was under tensioned though I havent broken any spokes because of this but keep meaning to get them re-trued. The only issue I find is that because I use a wahoo Elemnt I get no warning when the battery is about to die and the Powertap App is as much use as a chocolate fireguard for this (told me battery was nearly full, died 2 days later)
  • cld531c
    Thanks Stevie.
    Was hoping it would be quiet as I prefer to be a stealth freewheeler, but they are great value at the mo. Decisions decisions!
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I'm also interested in these wheels. I have a G3 hub on another set and agree it is a solid and reliable power meter.
    Can anyone say how wide the rims are? I have an old Six13 frame that doesn't take wide tyres - eg I can't run 25mm tyres with Archetypes rims as they are too wide. 23mm tyres are fine. Are the R460s particularly wide or not?
    Thanks
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    shazzz wrote:
    I'm also interested in these wheels. I have a G3 hub on another set and agree it is a solid and reliable power meter.
    Can anyone say how wide the rims are? I have an old Six13 frame that doesn't take wide tyres - eg I can't run 25mm tyres with Archetypes rims as they are too wide. 23mm tyres are fine. Are the R460s particularly wide or not?
    Thanks
    I believe they are the same width as the Archetypes so you would need to run 23mm tyres.
  • To give you an alternative view point, I have a G3 hub that has had the torque tube replaced twice and has been back and forth to powertap at least 6 times. I would never touch another powertap product. Their original UK service centre is half the problem, zero communication
  • I have them, cant say I freewheel often enough to notice any noise. I'm running 28mm tubeless

Have you seen them cheaper than Sigma for £382?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cld531c
    Nope, it was Sigma- only 2 left!
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I just pressed the button at Sigma. Thanks for the heads up!
  • cld531c
    Arriving tomorrow!
    Will be thoroughly depressed on Sunday when my poor power figures are revealed!