Another which bike thread

davidw007
davidw007 Posts: 37
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
I've finally saved up enough for a new bike but I'm torn between a couple of models.

I currently have a Cannondale Slate for off road rides and a Specialized Allez which will become my winter warrior!

I'm looking for something much more aggressive for fast club rides, budget around £3k.

I was initially set on a Canyon Aeroad but with all the sales around at the minute there's a lot of options.

I can get a Ridley Noah SL Di2 Disc for about the same price as a bottom of the range Aeroad with mechanical gears and rim brakes.

Then there's all the offers on Look 795 at Merlin. I love the Look 795 but worry about all the propriety integration and issues in the future. Has anyone had one of these for any length of time?

I appreciate people won't have experience of all of these bikes but any advice you can share would be great, thanks!

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    As an owner of a Canyon Aeroad that would be my choice. Have you looked in the Outlet store to see if you can get an Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 DI2 in your size? Out of the box the Canyon comes as a full package aero bike with no immediate need for upgrades.
    The Look 795 at Merlin comes with shallow wheels, so need to add in a chunk of money for an update. The Di2 version is £3500, never seen them in the flesh but the cockpit looks messy with cables? Nice looking bike and I do like the stem/bars, just not sure about the cables. If you don't have wheels already I'd work it out as the Look will cost £4500 to have it ready to roll with wheels / tyres that suit the frame.
    The Ridley is also a nice looking bike, personally I prefer the Canyon, I prefer deep section (60mm) wheels on aero bikes. The Aeroad cockpit also looks a fair bit neater in my opinion. That said the ex demo at Merlin appears to be good value for an Ultegra Di2 Hydro disc bike.
  • w00dster wrote:
    As an owner of a Canyon Aeroad that would be my choice. Have you looked in the Outlet store to see if you can get an Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 DI2 in your size? Out of the box the Canyon comes as a full package aero bike with no immediate need for upgrades.
    The Look 795 at Merlin comes with shallow wheels, so need to add in a chunk of money for an update. The Di2 version is £3500, never seen them in the flesh but the cockpit looks messy with cables? Nice looking bike and I do like the stem/bars, just not sure about the cables. If you don't have wheels already I'd work it out as the Look will cost £4500 to have it ready to roll with wheels / tyres that suit the frame.
    The Ridley is also a nice looking bike, personally I prefer the Canyon, I prefer deep section (60mm) wheels on aero bikes. The Aeroad cockpit also looks a fair bit neater in my opinion. That said the ex demo at Merlin appears to be good value for an Ultegra Di2 Hydro disc bike.

Thanks Woodster. The Aeroad I've seen is in the Outlet section but it doesn't have the nice Aero cockpit!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    This looks like a nice deal for a throughbred race bike:

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... =Affiliate