Help me choose a Wheelset!

Lewis99
Lewis99 Posts: 14
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Really having tough time choosing the wheel set.
Would be greatly appreciated if you guys could help ke out.

After hunting down some deals with my shop, all the wheels mentioned below are in similar price range.

Bike: 2017 Cervelo s3 disc

Wheel #1
Hed Jet fly 5 plus Disc
-Really want these but im not sure about the weight at 1800grams

Wheel #2
Roval cl50 disc
-seems amazing on paper. Just not sure if its going to fit my frame with 29.4mm external width

Wheel #3
Bontrager Aeolus pro5 disc
-safest choice. Fits well and weight isnt all too bad.

Wheel #4
Hunt aero 5 disc wheel
-seems good on paper but just didnt come across too many reviews.

Would love to hear orher recommendations as well.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What''s wrong with your current wheels / what do you want from the new ones? Presumably they'd need to be an improvement in some way to justify the apparent expense? Are they to be race / time trial only, or for general riding about? What kind of roads / riding? How much climbing? Do you do the kind of speeds where aero counts? Are you a racing snake or a Clydesdale?

Prioritise if you can:

Weight / Aero / Bling / wider rims / that lovely sound a carbon wheel makes etc etc
  • Lewis99
    keef66 wrote:
    What''s wrong with your current wheels / what do you want from the new ones? Presumably they'd need to be an improvement in some way to justify the apparent expense? Are they to be race / time trial only, or for general riding about? What kind of roads / riding? How much climbing? Do you do the kind of speeds where aero counts? Are you a racing snake or a Clydesdale?

Prioritise if you can:

Weight / Aero / Bling / wider rims / that lovely sound a carbon wheel makes etc etc

Main purpose would be for flatish time trials with little bit of rolling hills.

Is 150-250grams of weight differencd noticeable when riding?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,494
    What about Reynolds strikes - available for disc.
    Appears to be slightly lighter and cheaper than the Bontrager Aeolus pro5 and great reputation with people I ride with.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    This might be of interest. Relates to the rim brake versions I believe though.

https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicyc ... s-fastest/
  • What’s your budget?
  • Lewis99
    AKH wrote:
    This might be of interest. Relates to the rim brake versions I believe though.

https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicyc ... s-fastest/

Thanks for sharing. Will definitely read them over when I get home.
  • Lewis99
    What’s your budget?

Under 1500usd
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well the hed rim brake wheels are only average in the test. Hunts do badly. O.k this is rim brake wheels but the same holds true for disc brake wheels if the rim profile is the same.

Hambinis protocol is quite good.

Saving 250g makes no difference. Aero wins every time. Wider rims help with the aero as your tyre should sit slightly narrower than the tim. Max lowest drag.

What reviews never seem to cover is how easy it is to change the bearings in hubs. Being able to pull the freehub of to grease to me is not a service. Some hubs can give problems with bearing changes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Lewis99
    Well the hed rim brake wheels are only average in the test. Hunts do badly. O.k this is rim brake wheels but the same holds true for disc brake wheels if the rim profile is the same.

Hambinis protocol is quite good.

Saving 250g makes no difference. Aero wins every time. Wider rims help with the aero as your tyre should sit slightly narrower than the tim. Max lowest drag.

What reviews never seem to cover is how easy it is to change the bearings in hubs. Being able to pull the freehub of to grease to me is not a service. Some hubs can give problems with bearing changes.

After reading the data I think I will pull the trigger for Aeolus pro 5.

Using 80mm with my weight of 140lb would be suicidle.
  • cycleclinic
    bear in mind the 3W difference at normal speed between say mine and the Bontrager wheels is the margin of error. Essentially all wheels in the middle (average) are as good as each other.

So before you buy make sure the wheels have everything else you need.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I rode on some Black Inc wheels the other week, liked them a lot. The Black Fifty or the Fifty Eighty combo would do you well.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Easton SL90 Disc currently on Wiggle and CR for £814
  • cycleclinic
    Those wheels are 20 spoke front and rear. That a bit low.