Old Stumpjumper FSR

croptonboy
croptonboy Posts: 164
edited November 2018 in MTB buying advice
I've been offered an old Stumpjumper FSR, I believe it's a 2004 model, for very little money. Bike's been well maintained,Fox Float R rear, Float 100RL up front, and Hope hydraulic brakes

I know the technology is probably pretty dated now, but it's not going to be hammering BPW or anything, just for runs out in the local woods and possibly the odd Swinley trail

So, is it worth getting or just going to be a waste of money?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it needs nothing doing, and is cheap it will do the job. Decent bikes at the time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    How much is `very little money`?

As cooldad says, if it's fit and relatively healthy, then it will be fine. It might not be as slack as more modern bikes but it's still got wheels! The Hope brakes make it worth something.

My HT is a 2006 Spesh but most bits have been replaced and it's still going strong.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:

£175
  • billycool
    Croptonboy wrote:
    BillyCool wrote:

£175

That's fair enough. Even if you chucked £200 at it to replace cassette/chain etc, it still sounds viable.

Got any photos?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Does the suspension work?
    No scoring on the stanchions?
  • Suspension apparently works fine. No marks on the stanchions, pitting or otherwise

A few naff pics I got sent

NZL9hpS.jpg
    8k3NPFJ.jpg
    9UXcN8b.jpg
    B97cE85.jpg
    IhJraER.jpg
    TYrEEMN.jpg
  • cooldad
    Looks fine, and it's all basic, reliable stuff that's easy to service anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • billycool
    ^^^^ What cooldad said.

Looks pretty good and it will get you out riding. It has older geometry so I'd be cautious to chuck it down anything too steep.

Other than that, give it a go!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Thanks guys!

So those Hope brakes aren't going to be hassle?
  • billycool
    edited October 2018
    Croptonboy wrote:
    Thanks guys!

So those Hope brakes aren't going to be hassle?

Define hassle?

Hope brakes are on the whole bomb proof and do a good job.They'd be an upgrade on whatever came on the bike. They might be a bit `retro` by now but they'll be fine. My mate loves that sort of stuff and uses them on his retro Kona.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • cooldad
    Hope are rebuildable anyway, and AFAIK they still stock service parts. But they are pretty bombproof. I sold a few sets a while back that had been lying around for more than a decade and they still worked fine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    I had the very same bike about 10yrs back, was a superb bike back in the day. The shortish wheelbase make them very chuckable and fun to ride on normal forest trails. Well worth the 175 if you ask me. Go for it.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • RDB66 wrote:
    Go for it.

I did! :)

Seems ok other than needing the gears/suspension tweaking, and the front brake sorting out. Works fine, but squeals continuously. Bike was stood for about 12 months (indoors) so might have something to do with it
  • cooldad
    Change the pads and clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol. Good chance it will sort out the brake.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools