Arctic mondays

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,121
edited October 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning,

Looks very cold outside.
I think it's time to dig out the thermal bibs for the commute.
Today's not going to be fun, I've hardly slept all night.

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Mostly self inflicted shoot sleep as I watched the gp on channel 4

Out on the fun bike later
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning , yes cold here as well —3 degrees and it’s froze over the rain we had last night, dog walked , porridge consumed at least that’s warmed me up a bit, have to take the car back to the garage this morning, so hopefully bike ride later , when it warms up
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    'ning

it's definitely cold, office, many coffees, sundry carbs, lurk in lab, bail
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ground still covered in frost here in the creative county.
    Farked if this fox is venturing out of his den yet.
    Missus wants to replace one of the rugs in the living room, so wallet will be taking a hit later. :(
  • Had planned an early ride out this morning but a mates report of ice on the country lanes has put an end to that.
  • Heavy weekend, 420 miles of motorway, too much wine, went on a bike ride through Cheddar Gorge, got snowed on.

Ran this morning and it was -1.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    Bit chilly on the bike this morning - had to pedal a bit harder to keep warm but at least it woke me up a bit. Now stuffing face with lots of food ready for some tedious meetings.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Out for a couple of hours on the bike this morning, not as cold as I had feared. I was pretty cosy, apart from my fcuking toes. Any ideas?
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bit chilly on the bike this morning - had to pedal a bit harder to keep warm but at least it woke me up a bit. Now stuffing face with lots of food ready for some tedious meetings.

Jeez. I you think the meetings are tedious, spare a thought for those you are meeting. :lol:
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Out for a couple of hours on the bike this morning, not as cold as I had feared. I was pretty cosy, apart from my fcuking toes. Any ideas?
    Overshoes.
    If that's not enough, tin foil over your toes, under the overshoes.
    Tin foil in your shoes under the insoles.

The tin foil does fall to bits after a while and makes a mess everywhere.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Ballysmate wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-toe-thingy-2
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Tell your toes to stop fcuking. Although that could explain why having 6 toes on each foot is common up in your part of the world :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Tell your toes to stop fcuking. Although that could explain why having 6 toes on each foot is common up in your part of the world :)

Surely 6 toes is an advantage to a bean counter of your eminence? Once you run out of fingers... :P
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Evening folks,
    Busy day learning the new job. Major disaster at work with the announcement that cake day is being replaced by fruit day. Now I know fruit cake can be a fine thing, but fruit is no replacement for cake! Somebody is going to be on the receiving end of a pineapple, and not in a way SG would approve of.
    Off to see my mum shortly before she heads off to Italy for a bit. Pedalling tomorrow.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Surely 6 toes is an advantage to a bean counter of your eminence? Once you run out of fingers... :P
    That's what minions are for . Physical attributes are important :)
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Yes, but using those attributes only enable your best looking minions to count to 2 though.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Over shoes, or shoe covers Bally. That's the terminology you need. Now go search Wiggle.
    Neoprene one's are sometimes tight but give you great protection and are often waterproof.
    But if you don't go out in the wet, you don't necessarily need Neoprene.There are waterproof alternatives to Neoprene.
    For example: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lizard-skins-dr ... oe-covers/

Do not buy Planet x shyte.
    Go ask on the question on bender's thread for recommendations.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Yes, but using those attributes only enable your best looking minions to count to 2 though.
    I have several attractive minions so not a problem if I line them all up.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Several = 4? After all 3 is a few. So, (4 x 20) + 8 = 88. ? Up to 88 or multiples of 10 (880), 100 (8800) and so on. I guess it has it's usefulness. You know what the extra 8 is, don't you?
    Unless that should be 12 ha ha.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Over shoes, or shoe covers Bally. That's the terminology you need. Now go search Wiggle.
    Neoprene one's are sometimes tight but give you great protection and are often waterproof.
    But if you don't go out in the wet, you don't necessarily need Neoprene.There are waterproof alternatives to Neoprene.
    For example: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lizard-skins-dr ... oe-covers/

Do not buy Planet x shyte.
    Go ask on the question on bender's thread for recommendations.

I was wearing Planet Flex shite overshoes. :oops:
    Will take your and SG's advice on board, oh Wise One.
  • pinno
    The toe warmers won't give you much protection. If you are like me, you want something that covers the whole foot.

Those ^ lizard skins are good value.
    Oh and Merino socks - best sourced from Aldi.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-merino-ble ... 0228450200

Fantastic socks.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    The toe warmers won't give you much protection. If you are like me, you want something that covers the whole foot.

Fantastic socks.

Was wearing the Aldi socks and PX overshoes. Will look at better quality ones.

I also bought some of the Aldi waterproof socks. As yet untested.
  • pinno
    'Waterproof socks'? Are they an overshoe?
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:

Fantastic socks.

Just checked Wiggle. Only midget size in stock. Bah!
  • pinno
    Not Merino though and if you have good shoe covers, why do you need waterproof socks?

I still have a pair of Sidi overshoes I bought eons ago. They are good.
    They're pretty pricey now though.

As I said, go on the bender's review thread and ask the question.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Several = 4? After all 3 is a few. So, (4 x 20) + 8 = 88. ? Up to 88 or multiples of 10 (880), 100 (8800) and so on. I guess it has it's usefulness. You know what the extra 8 is, don't you?
    Unless that should be 12 ha ha.
    Yep, I understand Pinno maths :)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    There's usually a transition period between summer and winter riding (I think it's called 'Autumn') but this year seems to have been different. For various reasons, I have only been on the bike briefly in the last couple of weeks but when I last had a decent ride, the temperature was still in the 20s and I was in shorts / short sleeves. Went out early yesterday and it was flucking freezing (literally!). At this rate, the real cold weather gear will be making an appearance in a few days (that said, I think I'm getting soft / even softer in my old age.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • pinno
    I think the real answer to the cold weather/personal heating problem is electric.
    If my shed was big enough, I would get to work and patent my idea: Adjustable electric generation heating facility.
    It would consist of a hub dynamo (lower resistance/less faff) connected to an all in one body suit and a network of heating elements through a set if rheostat's mounted on the handle bars.
    Then I would add upgrades such as Willy and handlebar warmers and even tyre and brake block warmers.

Being so complex, this would be impossible to fix by the user and so I could cash in on service and after market parts.