Cervelo steerer tube metal shim

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Do Cervelos still have the metal shim that needs to be glued into the steerer tube?

Comments

• phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    My S5 did, that was a 2018 one.
  • I purchased a new Cervelo today, the dealer fitted the inner mount with the epoxy supplied in the kit by the manufacturer.

Why do you ask?... Good or bad?
  • clubsport wrote:
    Why do you ask?... Good or bad?

I have one on order, need to drop them an email not to fit the shim. I'd rather set the bike up first, work out how long I need the steerer tube to be.
  • Fair point.
    I appreciate getting it done in one hit makes sense, I wondered of it is possible to cut the steerer at a later date as I didn't have it done on mine. I have the unsightly stack of spacers until I work out what suits.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    mine was stuck in by the dealer with full complement of spacers.
    after doing some research it appears it is long enough for you to cut the steerer with it glued in and for it to be ok.

That's what I then did with my S5. which has worked ok.
    The only issue I had was that when it was cut the metal insert came loose so I reglued it. That was more to do with how it was glued in the first place though.

1500 miles on it now and its awesome.

If I did it again I would also ask for it not to be glued but if it has then it's not an issue as far as I can tell
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    I built up an R3 and a S3 and have ignored the metal shim; I just used normal carbon steerer expander bungs instead - if it works for every other manufacturer, why not cervelo? I think it is related to them being over cautious following issues a while ago with steerer tube, but I forget the exact details.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    You don't need it.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Ryan_W wrote:
    You don't need it.
    you do need it if you are going to use the star fangled nuts that Cervelo supply and recommend using. Cervelo specifically state not to use the expander bolt and have specifically have chosen so spur / shun the expander bold arrangement for a reason and personally I think it pretty unwise to deviate from a manufacturer design on a critical part of the bike.

FWIW, my P5, C3 and old S2 all had the steel insert bonded to the steerer and the steerer trimmed right down at a later time. IIRC the insert is s something like 75-100mm long so there should be no issues cutting the steerer even once it is bonded in - it extends below the top of the headset. ;)
  • ryan_w-2
    Ryan_W wrote:
    You don't need it.

I've only done 17,000km on my S5 without one, up to a weight of 107kg. What do I know...

That's also using one of the lightest expander / top cap sets you can buy (ExtraLite UltraStar 3 and HyperCap).

• moonshine
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    You don't need it.

I've only done 17,000km on my S5 without one, up to a weight of 107kg. What do I know...

That's also using one of the lightest expander / top cap sets you can buy (ExtraLite UltraStar 3 and HyperCap).
    That is your choice...
    what are your engineering qualifications? I'd be interested in reading your review of the design parameters of cervelo steerers... and how you think they are over engineered.
  • moonshine
    hell... what does Gerard Vroomen know about it?
    "People, you should always use the Alloy sleeve. It greatly increases the durability of the steerer. It is important that the sleeve extends below the top bearing, and it is indeed OK to cut the steerer after installing the sleeve. so you still have the flexibility to dial in your position, as long as with the initial set-up the sleeve extends below the bearings.

As for the weight, the weight is not much different from most expanders. Yes, it's a bit heavier than the lightest expanders, but it's the best safety feature I can think of on a bike fork - well worth the weight."

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... =3&t=92744
  • ryan_w-2
    Yawn.

Real world trumps forum know-it-all.

If I had a catastrophic steerer failure, I would have suggested otherwise.

• moonshine
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Yawn.

Real world trumps forum know-it-all.

If I had a catastrophic steerer failure, I would have suggested otherwise.
    I'd suggest if you had a catastrophic steerer failure you might not have been able to suggest anything to anyone ;)

and i'd further argue your empirical single point of experience doesn't form dataset from which a a scientifically robust of statistically significant conclusions can be drawn from...

Therefore I would consider you as coming across as a forum "know it all" and leave the OP to decide whether to listen to you, the purveryor of an anecdotal story, or the specific, unequivocal recommendation from the co-founder of Cervelo, who is a mechanical engineer who was intimately involved in the design of the bikes....

:lol:
  • ryan_w-2
    You can put your thesaurus down now...

• Well, emailed the shop I'm getting it from and they have said they have to fix it in place before they send it out, otherwise it invalidates the warranty. So there you go, kinda answers my question.