nukeproof tyre insert

Danny1920
Danny1920 Posts: 51
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure if this has already been covered but came across these on GMBN.I've been thinking
about putting a tyre insert in the rear just to protect the rim more than anything else,but the
price off em was kinda putting me off.Finally decided that the cost & inconvenience of a damaged
rim justified the cost of the insert.So was about to order a vittoria air liner @£56 but then saw that
nukeproof were gonna be releasing their inserts in Nov & @£50 for a pair(27.5/29) much better value
There's a good video about them over on gmbn

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Save yourself some cash and go the DIY route...

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... ck-norris/
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Yeah I've seen these hack's ….lol.Would rather spend the 25 notes p/wheel on something that's
    actually designed & tested to do what I need them to do.Good hack all the same
  • In case anyone's interested these are now on sale@Kustom Bikes.Hope they'll keep
    my rims in good shape
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Do you ride anywhere near where you are more than average likely to damage your rims? Are you a heavy and/or aggressive rider? If not, then I really wouldn't bother. Just go tubeless, buy some more robust tyres and don't go stupidly low with your tyre pressures. :)

I know I'm not you, don't have the same experience, expertise, riding weight, or aggressive tendencies, or bike. But nor does anyone else. These inserts are relatively new and just how many rims have been trashed before they were a thing? Other than by stupidity? Bad luck is accepted.

By the way, these tyre inserts have an impact upon the way your tyres work in the same way that a token in your fork affects your suspension. There is less air in there and the tyre is being compressed over the same distance, so it will ramp up faster. In other words your tyre will feel harder unless you reduce your tyre pressure even more with the instability and burping that can come with that.

In the interests of disclosure, I have never used any inserts my tyres. But I have read a lot on Forums on the topic and I have reflected what I believe is the consensus.

Unless you meet the criteria outlined at the start, you would be better spending your money on a more robust tyre that is cheaper and lighter than your current tyre plus the inserts. (IMO)

When I went to Antur Stiniog, a dedicated downhill trail centre in Wales (very rough), all I did was put an extra 2psi in my tyres. I survived without torn tyres or damaged rims. No inserts required. :)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Inserts improve the way your bike handles. Well to good ones do. Tyres with inserts can't burp. The PTN insert for example fill enough of the tyre to effectively prevent it happening. As I use rims where the tyre can be ridden flat and not unseat. Burping does not happen which such rims.

Tyres can be run at lower pressures safely. The pressure reduction is related the volume of air the insert replaces. I use PTN personally and have run my 29*2.1" tyre as low as 15psi and the rear 18psi. 20psi though works better. The tyre is more secure in and out if ruts and over ruff stuff. It simply hold the gorund better. Now the shape is critical here. Those inserts designed dokey as rim protection do not need to fill as much of the tyre and these inserts simply don't give you the same improvement in handling over the ruff stuff as the inserts that's replace more of the air. Example of these insets are crush core, Vittoria air liner and PTN.

It is the combination of the air and the firmer insert that does the trick. There is alot of misunderstanding and assumptions made about inserts.

With the nuke proof system I wonder how porous it is. If it porous it will absorb sealant. I also can't tell how big this Ard insert is.

The one I like and bring in is this. https://www.merlincycles.com/ptn-pepis- ... 22813.html

There a new version on the way too which is aimed at everyday riders.
    Looking at the nuke proof offering there seem to be sutlbe differences to PTN. Obviously I have not tried ARB. I did look at the Dean easy system before Vittoria bought it but it was too expensive and difficult to fit. Otherwise it does the job well.

https://www.merlincycles.com/ptn-pepis- ... 22813.html
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • steve_sordy
    That is three things I've learned today! :D
  • Do you ride anywhere near where you are more than average likely to damage your rims? Are you a heavy and/or aggressive rider? If not, then I really wouldn't bother. Just go tubeless, buy some more robust tyres and don't go stupidly low with your tyre pressures. :)

TBH honest it's a no brainer IMHO.They allow you to run lower pressurers which equals more grip.which equals more confidence,which equals riding faster,which equals having an even bigger grin on your boat race :) & they protect
    your rims & tyres.They're also cheaper than say a Maxxis 3C DD tyre
  • steve_sordy
    Danny1920 wrote:

TBH honest it's a no brainer IMHO.They allow you to run lower pressurers which equals more grip.which equals more confidence,which equals riding faster,which equals having an even bigger grin on your boat race :) & they protect
    your rims & tyres.They're also cheaper than say a Maxxis 3C DD tyre

Report back please, I'm always interested in new stuff that does the job, especially if it confounds my first views. :)
  • These turned up today & first impressions out of the box
    They seem to be pretty dam hard.Really solid,dense foam
    Rim specific,so no cutting required.Can see these protecting
    the rim,help keep the shape of the tyre intact.Hopefully
    that'll reduce the chances of the tyre burping & snake bites
    Fingers crossed

IMG_E0528_zps7gnncs6g.jpg
    IMG_E0529_zpscxt18b2t.jpg
  • steve_sordy
    More please! :)
  • I really do wish someone would invent something that makes getting these
    fcuking tyres off a lot easier.My hands are aching :cry:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Danny1920 wrote:
    I really do wish someone would invent something that makes getting these
    fcuking tyres off a lot easier.My hands are aching :cry:

Hi - dragging up an older thread as I just chucked an ARD in my rear wheel yesterday. Pumped up the tyre reasonably hard to get a seal on the beed and now cant seem to get the air back out of the tyre - seems like the ARD is sealed to the valve stem or something! I am going to pull the core out this evening to see if that does the trick - just wondered if anyone had had this issue with ARD r similar systems!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.