Which Computer

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
So, I have always been a garmin man but my edge 1000 is on its way out. The power button has failed and although I have bodged it, Garmins inflexible attitude to spares and repairs really hacks me off. Recently the mapping has also been a bit flaky and I feel i can't trust its route finding options. It either takes me on a massive circle or onto a local dual carriageway.

I use my computer 5 to six days a week both commuting and club or solo rides at the weekend. I do use the routing on the go a lot as I like an ETA and distance to go indication. I tend to plot routes using Ride with GPS and I do like the fact that I can be notified about phone messages on the Garmin. I use power meters, heart rate and speed sensors.

If I wasn't so annoyed with Garmin then another 1000 or the 1030 would be on the cards, however I am considering a change but to what.

Any suggestions ??

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Seriously, do a search as this has been done to death on these boards. You'll get the Garmin camp, the Wahoo ELEMNT camp, the Polar camp, the Lezyne camp, The Bryton camp plus Cat etc all coming along and advocating the prowess of their device. Then you'll get the why not use a smart phone brigade. DOing a search and reading through it will save you a lot of time.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Also check dcrainmaker. Reviews don't come more comprehensive.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Just a thought. Why don't e-bikes power a handlebar computer. Or do they already..?
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I have read the reviews and done the searches.
    None seem to stand out and shout buy me.
    All seem to have issues and problems.

was just looking to see if anyone had anything extra to add.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Big Harv wrote:
    Just a thought. Why don't e-bikes power a handlebar computer. Or do they already..?

Because you can still ride an e bike when it's out of power ?

Powering my computer wouldn't be a plus for me on an e bike. I've managed for years so far without this and don't you swap your computer between bikes ?
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    E-bikes are the work of the devil for me. Was just curious.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Phil485 wrote:
    I have read the reviews and done the searches.
    None seem to stand out and shout buy me.
    All seem to have issues and problems.

was just looking to see if anyone had anything extra to add.

So what do you expect to achieve by trying to start yet another thread on the subject? You're not going to get a unanimous opinion on one manufacturer or device. You either stick with what you know or take a punt on something else. The features of each device are clearly listed by the manufacturers and there's enough video reviews to see them actually in operation.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Wahoo Bolt. End of.
  • I second the Bolt. Owned Garmin for years, recently swapped to Elemnt Bolt and I love it. It does everything you need and more.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My Garmin 705 is still going strong
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I feel your pain with Garmin being crap, but the 1030 is actually not as flakey as earlier models. It’s still got its foibles, but overall it’s still the best computer out there IMO.