Winter shoes (2-bolt)

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
With the impending wintery weather arriving this weekend, I've remembered how frozen my toes got last year on outdoor rides in my Shimano shm121 mesh top shoes , even before I retreated to indoor training during Beast Of The East.

I'm struggling to see the real benefit of spending ~£170 for the Northwave Arctic boots over the ~£120 Northwave Thinsulate shoes, besides the boots being fluro yellow and basically having the lower shin bit of some neoprene socks attached to them.

Given I have the Direto, I'm not planning to do big rides whatever the weather, just enough to try and counteract the worst of SAD fatigue.

Go with shoes?
Really OK 0-15C?
Sizing quite small, like Shimano?
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I commute all year round and bought some winter boots a few years ago. I've appreciated them for commuting (where I have to go), and especially when it's both wet and cold. It looks like the Northwave Thinsulate shoes are not waterproof, but if you don't intend on riding in the wet when it's cold, then I guess that won't matter, and you'll be fine with them.
  • I bought a pair of these for last winter - Shimano Gravity AM5. The plastic upper and lack of ventilation is a boon in winter! And they don't look too ridiculous when you walk into the pub with them on. I certainly found them usable down to just below 0 on my 10-mile commute even when the roads were wet and they are a lot cheaper than proper winter boots.

It looks like they are now discontinued, though some other stockists seem to have more sizes but Shimano have an updated version, the AM501, which has lost the velcro strap making them look a lot more like a normal shoe.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I looked for winter boots and bought a pair of Mavics. There were very small sized so they went back. I then got a pair of Northwave. They are fine and not small sized. I prefer Specialized shoes and I would say the NW have a bigger toe box but not too big.

I bought Northwave Fahrenheit 2 GTX in a 43. My normal shoe size is 42.5.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you've got the turbo set up for really nasty weather then I'd carry on with shoes and overshoes.

I'd maybe look at a cheaper and less vented pair. In winter i use MTB shoes with overshoes as they're warmer than road shoes.

Winter boots will be worth it if you're commuting but you're not ?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I can't tell much difference between summer shoes + neoprene overshoes and some Northwave winter shoes (+ overshoes) I got off the 'bay. I've got some Merino socks too and that's done me well at below zero for a ten mile commute.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes nice warm socks. Make sure you have enough space in your winter shoes. If your foot is squeezed then it's not going to help with circulation.
  • cougie wrote:
    If you've got the turbo set up for really nasty weather then I'd carry on with shoes and overshoes.

I'd maybe look at a cheaper and less vented pair. In winter i use MTB shoes with overshoes as they're warmer than road shoes.

Winter boots will be worth it if you're commuting but you're not ?

I do cycle commute, but it's less than 20mins in and less than 30mins home up the hill. And as much as the Voodoo has flat pedals on it, I've taken to riding in non-work shoes for better grip from the pedal pins, if I got some dedicated winter footwear then I'd almost certainly use them and transfer my Time ATAC pedals over to the Voodoo.

The turbo took over pretty much all rides besides commutes from Jan to Mar, which kept my fitness up and probably even improved it, but I really felt the SAD fatigue because cycling was by far my reason for going outside besides work... I want to make more effort to get out for at least 45mins on a bike most days this winter, just thinking some dedicated winter shoes/boots would be one less excuse to not go outdoors.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Go for the winter boots. Had my Northwave a couple of years now. Best money I ever spent on winter gear! They will last you for years. Feet always nice and warm even in coldest weather and properly waterproof. In fact having seen mine 3 mates also bought them and they are of same opinion.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Specialized Defroster are good. Managed to pick a pair up for £60 from Evans clearance last year.
    Best bit of kit I've brought for years... No more p**sing about with overshoes :D
  • janwal wrote:
    Go for the winter boots. Had my Northwave a couple of years now. Best money I ever spent on winter gear! They will last you for years. Feet always nice and warm even in coldest weather and properly waterproof. In fact having seen mine 3 mates also bought them and they are of same opinion.

The mate that got me onto these has done 7 years of winter commuting in his, mine are in their 6th winter now. As good as new, pretty much. Worth getting the Arctic extra insulated versions I think. Make sure you get a size bigger to allow socks plus wiggle room.

They are brilliant, way less hassle than shoes and overshoes. I used mine down to minus 12 one year and still had warm feet!

By the way if you turbo train in a freezing garage or shed they come in very handy, again less hassle than overshoes or freezing your toes off!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    jp1970 wrote:
    Specialized Defroster are good. Managed to pick a pair up for £60 from Evans clearance last year.
    Best bit of kit I've brought for years... No more p**sing about with overshoes :D

Paid near full price for mine but after breaking them in and the ankle cuff softening up they are superb, admittedly not needed to use mine for 8 months but they will soon come out of hybernation for the winter.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I like the Northwave TH Raptor shoes, and prefer the free movement over the ankles compared with the GTX boots I've got. The "wrap over upper" design also allows them to deal with rain and showers very well. Size up a little big, which is great for getting a pair of thick Woolie Boolies socks in there.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...