Bike insurance for crits...

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited February 2019 in Amateur race
After not getting off my behind this year and entering some crits I've decided next year is the year...

Anyway, I don't have a bike I'm willing to risk wrecking so what's the deal with cycling insurance for cycle racing? British cycling a good one? Am assuming I'll be looking at £200-300? What are people's experiences?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Spend double what you're talking about for insurance on a second hand bike you can afford to crash and laugh at everyone on their Zipp sodden S-Works?
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Spend double what you're talking about for insurance on a second hand bike you can afford to crash and laugh at everyone on their Zipp sodden S-Works?

If I could get away with it I would. A friend hid a new bike from his partner in his garden for 2 months recently...he put it under his kitchen window so she wouldn't see it then when finally discovered he correctly told her no, it wasn't new....

Unfortunately my garden gets used...;)
  • ...saying that I just checked eBay and specialized allez's go pretty cheap...
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    If you need to hide away your bike from your partner, you've got bigger issues than deciding on crash insurance....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    maryka wrote:
    If you need to hide away your bike from your partner, you've got bigger issues than deciding on crash insurance....

He just needs to call bikes and stuff , private health care plan, simples. Just dont crash.
  • maryka wrote:

The guy I was talking about already had multiple bikes stored in his small flat...including at least one on his wall. His girlfriend may have had a point :)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Bike insurance for racing is a waste of money. Crashes are likely. I wrecked my look in a crash this year. Only had it two years. Your better off spending £300 on a second hand bike. Or buy a frame and fit 105 or tiagra.

It easy to say don't crash but sometimes that decision is made for you by someone else.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Bike insurance for racing is a waste of money. Crashes are likely. I wrecked my look in a crash this year. Only had it two years. Your better off spending £300 on a second hand bike. Or buy a frame and fit 105 or tiagra.

It easy to say don't crash but sometimes that decision is made for you by someone else.

Then why is it a waste of money? Surely if you had insurance then you could have repaired/replaced your Look courtesy of your insurance.
  • Speak to Keith at Bikmo insurance. He knows his stuff, races and they cover crit races.

https://bikmo.com/
  • Thanks for the replies gents, given me something to think about
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What's the saying - don't race what you can't replace ?

A cheaper bike for Crits sounds just the solution.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Crits. You will crash, things will get broken. You ain’t pro. Buy the best you can afford to replace.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You might crash, you might not. Ride whatever you like. if you’re on the start line, it means you are accepting the risks..
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    PedalSure do race cover. If you're getting insurance, include yourself, it ain't that hard to pop a collarbone and be off work for months, which will cost you a lot more than a broken bike will.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    VamP wrote:
    PedalSure do race cover. If you're getting insurance, include yourself, it ain't that hard to pop a collarbone and be off work for months, which will cost you a lot more than a broken bike will.

Exactly the reason I have bike insurance. I can live with a bike being trashed, I can't live if I'm off work without pay.
  • On the one hand what's the point of having a nice 'race bike' if you can't race it....on the other hand yeah I'd be p*ssed if I trashed it.

I saw some cheap specialized allezs on eBay when I had a quick look that'd probably cost the same as race insurance...Will see what's available early next year I think, and compare with what you get with the race insurance.

Once again, thanks for the advice/opinions
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Speak to Keith at Bikmo insurance. He knows his stuff, races and they cover crit races.

https://bikmo.com/

+1 on the Bikmo recommendation.

I have a mid range carbon bike for racing, last year it was off the road and so used my Pegoretti for a TLI crit, and spent the whole race worrying about crashing. I won my race though, I guess the best place to be if you don't want to crash is at the front!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    You are unlikely to write off a whole bike. You may destroy some wheels, break the forks and / or frame or possibly some components but it would unless you have hideously expensive wheels the overall cost of damage is unlikely to be more than half the value of the bike as a whole. As an alternative you could always save the equivalent of the insurance premiums (that I suspect will be high to cover race damage) then use that to cover any damage that does happen and if you don't crash you can eventually use it to buy upgraded / spare parts. The most expensive crash I had was around £200 of damage excluding the helmet and clothing but I've never raced with expensive carbon wheels mainly due to the relative likelihood of damage.
  • Sure you always run over it with the car or drop it against the garden gate rather than crash it.....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    allez with 105/rival, carbonzone deep rims.

sorted.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.