Help solve noise from my bike

SJH76
SJH76 Posts: 191
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Have you tried removing and reseating the wheel in the dropouts? You could try spinning it in your hands too to see if it's the bearings. Another idea is it's the metal springs on the qr spanner if they are on the wrong way and get trapped.

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    It's a new bike. It's covered by warranty. Take it back to the shop and get them to fix it. Stop wasting your time on the internet.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    It's a new bike. It's covered by warranty. Take it back to the shop and get them to fix it. Stop wasting your time on the internet.

Totally this.
  • SJH76
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Sorry, but if you returned your bike to the shop every time you had a noise coming from it you couldn't explain you'd never get to ride it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You need to remove the wheel and have a play.

It could be brake blocks rubbing against tyre. It could be other things. If you have to ask how to solve this then you should have bought of an lbs not a web shop. You buy of a Web shop if you are a competent home mechanic or if you are willing to take to an lbs. Sorry if this sounds blunt but you don't need permission from us in order to have a play. Everything on a bike is visible to inspect.

If you don't have a stand get one. If you don't want yo buy a stand take it to an lbs. Yes it will be an easy fix because everything on a bike is an easy fix. It's 19th century technology. So take a look and think, you will figure it out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    You need to remove the wheel and have a play.

It could be brake blocks rubbing against tyre. It could be other things. If you have to ask how to solve this then you should have bought of an lbs not a web shop. You buy of a Web shop if you are a competent home mechanic or if you are willing to take to an lbs. Sorry if this sounds blunt but you don't need permission from us in order to have a play. Everything on a bike is visible to inspect.

If you don't have a stand get one. If you don't want yo buy a stand take it to an lbs. Yes it will be an easy fix because everything on a bike is an easy fix. It's 19th century technology. So take a look and think, you will figure it out.

:) haha
  • photonic69
    I don't think we meant to be mean - just honest!

Most noises on bikes can be very hard to diagnose where the noise is coming from or what is making it even when we have the bike in front of us and can probe it from all angles. To try and diagnose a noise over the internet is nigh on impossible. It could be many things.

For a noise from the rear wheel I'd try in this order.
    1/ Loosen rear skewer and reseat axle, retighten skewer. Spin wheel. Is noise still there? No, job done. Yes go to #2
    2/ Slacken brakes so they are clear of rim. Spin wheel. Is noise still there? No, it's brakes rubbing. Adjust brakes. job done. Yes go to #3
    3/ Remove wheel. Spin and turn cassette with your fingers. Is there any roughness? Yes - problem with freehub. No go to #4
    4/ Turn axle back an forth between your fingers, checking for any roughness or sticking points. Yes - problem with bearings. No go to #5
    5/ Remove tyre and inner tube. Put wheel back on bike. Spin wheel. Is noise still there? Yes - dunno. No - probably valve rattling.

Unless yuo know what you are doing then 3/ 4/ 5/ probably means to trip to a LBS for investigation.

Buying a bike from a LBS is well worth the slight premium you might pay over an internet deal. You'll get far more back in terms of service and goodwill than you would have saved by buying online. Would you buy a new car on-line with no near dealer support? It would be a real ball-ache when things went wrong. Same for bikes. Buy bikes locally. Buy parts/accessories on-line.

• SJH76
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Most noises on bikes can be very hard to diagnose where the noise is coming from or what is making it even when we have the bike in front of us and can probe it from all angles. To try and diagnose a noise over the internet is nigh on impossible. It could be many things.

1/ Loosen rear skewer and reseat axle, retighten skewer. Spin wheel. Is noise still there? No, job done. Yes go to #2
    2/ Slacken brakes so they are clear of rim. Spin wheel. Is noise still there? No, it's brakes rubbing. Adjust brakes. job done. Yes go to #3
    3/ Remove wheel. Spin and turn cassette with your fingers. Is there any roughness? Yes - problem with freehub. No go to #4
    4/ Turn axle back an forth between your fingers, checking for any roughness or sticking points. Yes - problem with bearings. No go to #5
    5/ Remove tyre and inner tube. Put wheel back on bike. Spin wheel. Is noise still there? Yes - dunno. No - probably valve rattling.

Unless yuo know what you are doing then 3/ 4/ 5/ probably means to trip to a LBS for investigation.

Buying a bike from a LBS is well worth the slight premium you might pay over an internet deal. You'll get far more back in terms of service and goodwill than you would have saved by buying online. Would you buy a new car on-line with no near dealer support? It would be a real ball-ache when things went wrong. Same for bikes. Buy bikes locally. Buy parts/accessories on-line.

You're right in some parts and wrong in others

Bikes are not complicated bits of machinery. They are still in this day and age simple contraptions, even with electronic gears and hydraulic brakes they are hardly cutting edge technology. This is an isolated thing. It's not gears, it's not brakes so it's either the wheel bearing or its catching something.

I will also say, your comparison to buying a car is not exactly the same. If I bought a brand new car online (which you can) I could still take it to any dealer who sell that car under the terms of the warranty. I don't need to return it to the place I bought it. I think you need to understand what the manufacturers warranty actually means and what's covered. All a shop can provide is an pre sale inspection and there will be plenty of tales of them not bring done correctly (Halfords anyone?) So buying from a shop does not guarantee a better service.
  • photonic69
    SJH76 wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

You're right in some parts and wrong in others

Bikes are not complicated bits of machinery. They are still in this day and age simple contraptions, even with electronic gears and hydraulic brakes they are hardly cutting edge technology. This is an isolated thing. It's not gears, it's not brakes so it's either the wheel bearing or its catching something.

I will also say, your comparison to buying a car is not exactly the same. If I bought a brand new car online (which you can) I could still take it to any dealer who sell that car under the terms of the warranty. I don't need to return it to the place I bought it. I think you need to understand what the manufacturers warranty actually means and what's covered. All a shop can provide is an pre sale inspection and there will be plenty of tales of them not bring done correctly (Halfords anyone?) So buying from a shop does not guarantee a better service.

You to are sort of right but also wrong in places :)

When you buy from a shop you are usually covered by the shop for 1 year in the case of defective parts or failure. This is your consumer rights. The Manufacturers Warranty is in addition to this and might be for 1 or 2 years or even longer and this will usually only cover the frame/forks from defects, not components

Also with cars there will be cover to use franchised dealers for warranty etc. This is not usualy with online bike sales, except maybe Evans. Mostly if you buy a bike online you have to send it back to the online place rather than a local branch. In this case Tredz, which only have three brick and mortar shops in South Wales which won't help the OP who might live in Colchester.

I'm also not talking about Halfords or Evans or other big bike stores. I'm talking about proper LBS where you do get service that is second to none. I have a great rapport with my lcoal shop. Best bike shop in the UK (IMO). Maybe I'm just lucky.

• Any lbs will look at it you may just have to pay for it.