Cateye Sync

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited October 2018 in Commuting chat
Ok - just entered the GCN competition to win a set of these lights ...

but I have to ask myself ... why?!

Why do you need to syncronise the turning on/off of your lights? Surely you turn them on when you set off and turn them off when you finish.
All you need then is a battery level (which these do have - via an app on your phone ... ) surely using bluetooth (I assume) to connect all these devices is just going to use more battery?

Is it just another "because we can" gimick?

Comments

• Slowbike wrote:

Why do you need to syncronise the turning on/off of your lights? Surely you turn them on when you set off and turn them off when you finish.
    All you need then is a battery level (which these do have - via an app on your phone ... ) surely using bluetooth (I assume) to connect all these devices is just going to use more battery?

If you’ve ever turned the front light off, but forgotten to turn the rear off, then gone off for a while, then had to ride back, with no rear light, you’d see why this could be a good idea.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you’ve ever turned the front light off, but forgotten to turn the rear off, then gone off for a while, then had to ride back, with no rear light, you’d see why this could be a good idea.
    Occasionally forgotten to turn the light off - but that's when I've got back home - always have a spare on the back anyway.

next...
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Capitalising on the trend of connected things imo. I do like the idea of the rear light that gets brighter as you brake but I cant use it because I run a saddle bag of some description at all times.
  • Slowbike wrote:

I always have a £2 rubber clip on that i use in London for when the main one runs out of battery...
    Does the job.