My latest crazy idea :)

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited October 2018 in MTB buying advice
Would anyone care to cast their eyes over my latest idea please?

I think I have everything, frame come with headset and shock so no need to worry about those. I will need rotors but they didn't have them at CRC, and also a rear axle I believe.

Am I missing anything else stupidly obvious?

Thanks

lVVlOtR.png

Comments

• Headset spacers
    Tubes?
  • marcarm
    Spacers yeah I thought of.

Tubes I have loads, but will most likely go tubeless and I have sealant.

I have found another frame that comes with forks that I am very interested in, but that is another thread.

Thanks
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Do the wheels not come with a freehub?
  • marcarm
    The wheels in the basket are Shimano, I believe I need the SRAM freehub to use the Eagle cassette?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Will it fit?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • marcarm
    cooldad wrote:
    Will it fit?

This is what I'm trying to find out!

Think I am ditched on this one though, as I have decided on a different frame, and need different wheels so this idea is pretty much redundant now.
  • Just to add I wouldn’t put Hans dampf tyres on my bike at all - but definitely not on the front. Better off pairing a rear hans dampf with a front magic Mary.

Also check the crank in the eagle group set is definitely gxp and not dub - otherwise you’ve got the incorrect B.B.

Other than that it looks a nice spec!
  • marcarm
    It is GXP, just looked at the spec.

I hadn't actually decided on the tyres, they were just in the basket so I had an idea of the price but thanks!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Forget tubes. Get the tubeless version and go tubeless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Joebristol wrote:
    Just to add I wouldn’t put Hans dampf tyres on my bike at all

Why not?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Bit underwhelming and don’t last well. I’d much rather have a Maxxis dhr2 on the back in the winter and aggressor on in the summer.
  • Depending on what rotor size you go for, you will also need the corresponding calliper adaptors
    I assume you have all required tools, grease, threadlock etc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't get a SRAM XD freehub for a Shimano hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Rookie wrote:
    You can't get a SRAM XD freehub for a Shimano hub.

Well I've always tried to learn something every day and that is the second thing today! Thanks for that.

Isn't it a bit petty of SRAM though, seeing as you can get an XD freehub for pretty much any other make of hub? :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It may well be petty, but I guess it is their prerogative!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • marcarm
    No need for this now as I've found a decent bike complete on Ebay :)

A little disappointed to not be building my own, but I found a bike that was too good to turn down.