What wheels for this frame?

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited October 2018 in MTB buying advice
Looking at maybe buying this and building it up.

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-genius-700-tuned-plus-frameset-p336609

Questions:

What wheels? I know it's a plus but will normal width wheels be ok? Was looking at 27.5
I want to get the GX Eagle 12 speed, assuming this will fit?
What BB? If it's threaded, do I need a special tool to fit? Chances are I'll just the LBS to fit it in that case.

I think I have everything else I need in my basket, I just need to make sure it will all go together before taking the plunge.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 134
    I need 27.5+ or 29er wheels for this frame according to the shop.

And a press fit BB, BB92 according to the manual I just found
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I’m sure that Scott laughland runs 27.5 x 2.4s on his, he’s a sponsored rider.

I don’t think it would matter it’s a nice frame I’d get some 27.5 wheels with a decent internal rim width of 25mm or 30 to give the tyres a good profile.

Then you can run plus size tyres if you want later on.

Ah pressfit bottom bracket, I’d get one fitted by a bike shop unless your prepared to buy the press fit tool.

Spend the extra and get a quality bottom bracket like hope.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you run more normal sized tyres you'll drop the BB closer to the ground, that may or may not be an issue for you, Down to about a 2.4 would probably be OK but I wouldn't go much smaller.

Or you can probably pick up some decent 29er wheels cheaper for more trail type riding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.