Better road disc pads

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Hi
I'd like a bit more from the brakes as don't like the standard shimano snj09 jobs resin pads.
Have uberbike race matrix on the mountain bike which are awesome! Have contacted them on ebay about fitment for the road bike.
Caliper is br-rs785.
Any recommendations?
Dave

Comments

• david7m wrote:
    Hi
    I'd like a bit more from the brakes as don't like the standard shimano snj09 jobs resin pads.
    Have uberbike race matrix on the mountain bike which are awesome! Have contacted them on ebay about fitment for the road bike.
    Caliper is br-rs785.
    Any recommendations?
    Dave

I’d say go for semi metallic pads, if you want improvements.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    david7m wrote:
    Caliper is br-rs785.
    Didn't someone say they are the same as XT mountain bike calipers? Pads should be the same if that's the case. If you want finned it may restrict your choices.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Does 'shimano snj09' pad even exist? I think that calliper comes with resin J02A which can be replaced with semi metal J04C for more power and longevity. And ear numbing squeal.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Veronese68 wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    Caliper is br-rs785.
    Didn't someone say they are the same as XT mountain bike calipers? Pads should be the same if that's the case. If you want finned it may restrict your choices.

Correct. The fins do mostly f-all anyway...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Imposter wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    Caliper is br-rs785.
    Correct. The fins do mostly f-all anyway...
    I agree, if I was regularly plummeting down an alp or three I'd probably think about it. But for me and my use, meh.
    Someone will be along to say but they look good in a minute. :D
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Fins look ace

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• david7m
    mamil314 wrote:
    Does 'shimano snj09' pad even exist? I think that calliper comes with resin J02A which can be replaced with semi metal J04C for more power and longevity. And ear numbing squeal.

Phone autocorrected j02a to jobs :D
    These squeal already!
  • david7m
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Fins look ace

I like them too on road bike ;)
  • These are in my bookmark list for next time...

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... S785-RS685

With the added awesomeness of being finned.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • david7m
    These are in my bookmark list for next time...

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... S785-RS685

With the added awesomeness of being finned.

Purchase completed :) I remember now, not everything listed on ebay as you'd expect!

Cheers.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I'd recommend giving your rotors and calipers a real good clean before installing the new pads; get hold of some isopropanol and not only clean the surface of the rotors, but also as much of the insides of all the tiny cutouts as you can bear to!

You shouldn't really be suffering from inadequate braking with the stock pads, in my experience it comes down to fouling of the pads and rotors, which will be unlikely to improve just by replacing the pads alone.

Also, I'd second the opinions on finned pads; I use the equivalent non-finned G02A pads in my RS785 calipers and they work a treat for almost all occasions and at around half the price. The finned ones might be a reasonable shout for prolonged descents though, and in fact I overheated my non-finned ones when I was stuck in a line of traffic descending in the Alps earlier this summer and I don't weigh an awful lot compared to some.
  • david7m
    Its only done about 50 mile from new, but I'll clean them before installation. They worked fine, but Im a messer :D
    Dave
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    david7m wrote:
    Its only done about 50 mile from new, but I'll clean them before installation. They worked fine, but Im a messer :D
    Dave

There is your problem! Give them time to bed in a bit more!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• david7m
    Sorry I wasn't very clear. I brought it used and it's immaculate, classic impulse buy by him and never used (the 50 mies). I've done about 100 miles since so they are bedded in, and looking for a cheap improvement.
    Dave