Cyclecross commute

jamiedal
jamiedal Posts: 18
edited October 2018 in Commuting general
Hi

I’ve just bought a cube cross race for winter commuting (https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/ ... nred-2019/ )
looking for some suggestions for tyres to just use on the road over the winter it’s a 18mile commute, only one incline and mostly flat, I’m looking for maximum grip in the wet and puncture resistance and really don’t know what’s best.

Also I’m 18 stone so I’m not going to worry about a few grams in tyre weight :D

Thanks

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,507
    I've been using 25mm continental grand prix 4 seasons on the road bike for the last year.

Plenty grippy and not too heavy from what I can gather (weight isn't really a priority for me within reason). The rear tyre pretty much wore down and got it's first puncture after around 4500km last month. Front is still going strong.

There are lighter tyres and there are tougher tyres but these seem like a good balance for my riding (40 mile round trip commute a 3 times a week and occasional weekend spins)

I'm going to get another set of maybe 28mm to put on the cyclocross bike for winter commuting this year.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    On my CX last winter I used 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speeds on the road. It was reasonably quick (wind and wet weather makes a bigger difference) and incredibly comfortable.

However, taking the wet muddy frozen tow path on 40mm WTB Nanos was an absolute hoon. Not relevant, but amazing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you're not worried about weight and are mostly concerned about puncture resistance then get some Schwalbe Marathons (or Marathon Plus). Those things will stop bullets.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 for the marathon pluses. Very resistant. Basically there's no need to take your pump and repair kit if you're on those.

(I still do - despite never needing them on the road in years riding them)
  • Cheers for the replies will prob go with the marathon plus
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's not all unbridled joy in the world of Marathon+s.

1) Wooden wagon wheels are notoriously difficult to puncture as well, which would explain why they have the same ride characteristics as Marathon Plus.

2) Road bike tyres achieve grip by deforming to maximise the contact patch with the road surface. Softer compounds that increase grip are more prone to puncturing and vice versa. Marathon Plus use one of the hardest compounds there is and so they sacrifice a lot of grip. Its so I worth noting that rubber hardens in the cold, so in the winter I generally have less grip than in the summer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's not all unbridled joy in the world of Marathon+s.

1) Wooden wagon wheels are notoriously difficult to puncture as well, which would explain why they have the same ride characteristics as Marathon Plus.

2) Road bike tyres achieve grip by deforming to maximise the contact patch with the road surface. Softer compounds that increase grip are more prone to puncturing and vice versa. Marathon Plus use one of the hardest compounds there is and so they sacrifice a lot of grip. Its so I worth noting that rubber hardens in the cold, so in the winter I generally have less grip than in the summer.

I'm with you 100%

If your main concern is not getting a puncture then get the Marathons.
    However, if you want to enjoy the commute and also have plenty of grip in sketchy conditions I'd look elsewhere.