Best use of £160 in Halfords?

Spagoose
Spagoose Posts: 23
edited October 2018 in MTB buying advice
My works cycle scheme has finally come through and as a lovely bonus I have £160 I can spend on bike accessories in halfords.

I have zero bike gear currently and have come up with this so far:
£35 Helmet
£15 micro pump
£39 Kryptonite U lock
£70 camelbak MULE hydration pack

The above nicely rounds it out at £159. I am aware I am missing tools/lights/mudguards/spare bits etc but was planning on buying them later as they are all cheaper.

However I'm wondering if I should be buying a bottle, rack and saddlebag instead of the camelbak and spending the rest elsewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chain lube, tools, cheaper helmet, non Camelbak camelbak.

Do you need a fancy lock if not commuting?

Micropump is pretty useless without a puncture kit or similar. And tyre levers. Spare tube(s).

Track pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Have a look at their online prices, they are often cheaper than in-store. They will price match online prices
  • cooldad wrote:
    Chain lube, tools, cheaper helmet, non Camelbak camelbak.

Do you need a fancy lock if not commuting?

Micropump is pretty useless without a puncture kit or similar. And tyre levers. Spare tube(s).

Track pump.

I was planning on buying tyre levers and inner tube separately seeing as they are only a few quid each.

Do you have any recommendations on a hydration pack? The only reason I chose the mule is because it was the cheapest one Halfords sell that seems like it has enough room to carry winter layers as well as tools.

Also yeah I suppose I could drop to a cheaper lock, I only chose it because I would occasionally want to use it to travel down canals and visit the pubs along the way and maybe into town.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    !00% support for a Camelbak. I've had mine over 8 years now and it has been thoroughly abused and it still refuses to wear out.